The Hennessy Gold Cup 2011

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Another exciting race In my calender, runners confirmed.

The most famous winners of this race are Denman 2007 and 2009 and Arkle, 1964 and 1965.

The Hennessy Gold Cup Is a key early season trial for the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Punters will often see potential Gold Cup horses make their seasonal debuts in the Hennessy so it is a crucial race. There have been a number of horses who have won the Hennessy before going onto to collect the Gold Cup at Cheltenham In March.

It Is a Grade 3 National Hunt Chase run at Newbury over 3 miles and 2 and a half furlongs. It Is a left handed track with 21 fences.

There are several of my favourite horses running this time out such as Madison Du Berlais, What A Friend, Caruthers, Cooldine, and Gone to Lunch, however, I believe we are entering a new era of chasers this year as more young pretenders achieve up-grading to enter classics like these.

The Bookie's are firmly placing Aiteen Thirtythree as the firm favourite at Anti-Post 9/1. from the Paul Nicholls stable and stable mates with Kauto and Denman but I am not so sure. This Is a difficult race.

My money will be on Beshabar at 14/1.

He won a blinding race last time out at Ayr In the Scottish Grand National when he led from the front and jumped exceptionally well. Prior to that he came In behind Chicago Grey at Cheltenham where the 4lb extra weight seemed to slow him on the steep hill to the line.

I will also be placing a place bet on that pesky, naughty horse What A Friend who prefers the left hand track of Newbury.

My last bet will be a rv fc Beshabar and Time for Rupert.

I shall return after the race.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Oh for goodness sake...

Beshabar pulled from the Hennessy to concentrate on The Grand National In April...
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

In just a few days, Aiteen Thirtythree Is backed down to 8/1 Favourite, Some must be putting wads of cash on Anti-post but I'm still not convinced. Now the weights have been declared, he's set to carry 10 stone 9lb. Denman managed to re-capture the Hennessy In 2009 under 11 stone 12lb so It's possible but then Denman Is not your average horse and not called 'The Tank' for nothing.

Very few carrying top weight have managed to pull off The Hennessy when a lighter weight makes all the difference,

The weights are headed by 2009 Hennessy runner up What A Friend but trainer Paul Nicholls suggested in his Racing Post Stable Tour that the eight year old would miss the race. If so, Aiteen Thirtythree's weight would go up 1lb from 10st 9lb to 10st 10lb.

Paul Nicholls Is apparently still considering running Neptunes Collognes off a top weight.... Madness.... although I would like to see Neptunes take the cup after being brought down last year by Madison Du Berlais.

Prominently weighted runners Diamond Harry, Weird Al and Time For Rupert are likely to bypass Newbury which leads this wide open.

With my favourites out of the race, I am going to stick my neck out here and go for Shakalakaboomboom at 25/1 and an each way bet. He's usually prominent throughout but does tire at the 3 mile stage. Who knows? He could just hang on In there and I think he's worth a punt. He was last out In May this year over 3 miles, 1 furlong and won at 14/1. If the going on the day Is yielding or good to soft, they will be the perfect conditions for him. His weight last time out at 10 stone 13 lb makes him a good bet.

Then there's Caruthers good for a place also at 25/1.
Oscar Namechange

Aiteen Thirtythree In just 24 hours backed down to 7/1 AP.... Wow , serious money going on that horse !!!

The weights and prices all hinge on weather 'What A Friend will run or not.... I see he Is also entered for the Betfair Chase and The King George. This Is a tactic trainers use. They enter the horse In various high profile, big money races on paper In the hope that nearer to the day, the competition will be withdrawn due to Injury.

Shakalakaboomboom remains at 25/1 bar.......
Oscar Namechange

These entries and withdrawals are driving me mad....

Shakalakaboomboom now withdrawn but my original tip of Beshabar has been confirmed after his trainer changed his mind and thought the Hennessy would be a good warm up for him prior to The grand National.

So, my tip Is Beshabar at 11/1
Oscar Namechange

I said In my second post.... "Then There's always Caruthers"

Winner of the Hennessy Gold Cup..... Caruthers 10/1

Beshabar was 5th

Caruthers was always one of my favourite chasers because he has to be the tiniest of race-horses I have ever seen.

I did do an each way bet on him on the track simply out of sentiment and he was due for a win although could have kicked myself for not taking 25/1 AP

Also had a good win on 'Hey Big Spender'

Good days racing
Oscar Namechange

Blimey !!!

Just read that the winner of The Hennessy Gold Cup was bred from a mare bought for just £3,000 quid.

Carruthers lands emotional Hennessy Gold Cup victory for Lord Oaksey at Newbury | Mail Online
peleus

Post by peleus »

'He's a brilliant old horse, last year he was wrong, this year he's better than ever.

The best line yet.
Never quit.
Arena

Post by Arena »

Hadrian's Approach........

Return to “Sports”