Locavores

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Locavores

Post by tabby »

Locavores - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are there any locavores among us here at FG? I love the concept and I do my best because I think it’s healthier, it’s supportive of local economics and they say it’s better for the world environment in general (less fossil fuel usage for transportation, etc.) . I’m more of an enthusiastic amateur than a committed devotee.

I have a vegetable patch in the summer but its success depends highly on the weather as well as my initiative & free time on any given weekend! To supplement, I try to purchase my fruits and vegetables from roadside stands and local farmer’s markets versus grocery store chains. Easy enough in the summer but obviously harder in winter. As for fruit, locally I’m well supplied with apples, plums, peaches & pears but the only way I can get citrus fruit is to go to the grocery store. Same for bananas! Heaven only knows where my meat originates from! I don’t know of any local butcher shops and I’m not even sure their meat is always local to them.

I can’t imagine being a 100% locavore and have no idea how they manage it. I’m assuming they’re a tiny minority! I think it’s a great idea and I love the whole premise but for reasons of practicality, I find it hard to commit to it all the way. Kudos to those who do!

Bryn Mawr

Locavores

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I would love to - not just for food but for all manufactured goods and services as well.

Obviously with white goods it is not possible at the moment but whatever we can source locally we do.
Kathy Ellen

Locavores

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Yes, I buy local foods and products as much as I can. We're called a Garden State in Noo Joisey as we have a great deal of farmland and local produce. All summer, we have a farmer's market across the street from me, and hundreds of peeps come to my town to buy local goods there. During the winter, I try to buy produce from the East coast of the States.

I also grow tons of herbs, tomatoes and lettuce, in pots, in my yard all summer. I've torn out my yard as I have very bad allergies and put down pavers, but the potted veggies and herbs grow wonderfully in my yard. Hahaha...even the salt-sea air and intense, summer heat can't kill my garden. I have a perfect nook in my yard:-6
tabby

Locavores

Post by tabby »

fuzzywuzzy

Locavores

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I have an orchard that is going to be chockers this coming Feb/March ..........after a phone call from my son asking if the apples were out yet because he was coming back to raid it (then I reminded him as to when apples come out ) . I'm thinking of putting loads of fruit down the road with a sign saying "Free to healthy homes". :)

I'm like you Kathy. My back room is full of seedlings all ready to go . And farmers markets are all the go . Exceptional cheeses from farmers markets. (which reminds me I have a triple brie in the fridge and I'm sure I heard it say "EAT ME!!!" )

Return to “The Kitchen”