Escaped animals hunted down and killed

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Horrible, horrible story.

Lutz said preliminary investigations indicated that Thompson, 62, pried open cages and left the farm's fences open and then died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Authorities were waiting on the results of an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

Monkey is the last exotic animal still at large in Ohio - CNN.com
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Yes, yes it is SnoozeAgain.

I've been watching this on the news. Hopefully the State of Ohio will finally get a law on their books now, where people cannot own exotic pets and enforce it.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

This broke my heart when I heard it on the radio this morning. I understand people being afraid of the animals, but killing them?? really?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Bengal tigers are on the endangered list, you'd think they'd be a little more concerned with taking these animals alive. I broke out crying when I read this article, those animals probably had pretty miserable lives anyway and then they were hunted and killed like vermin. It really is heartbreaking.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

I'm going to lay the blame for this right at the feet of the Ohio bureaucrats. I will also blame stupid people who think a tiger cub is cute and adorable and buy one for their kids. A Collie or German Shepard, a cat is a pet. Lions, tigers, bears and baboons are not. I'm not so inclined to blame the guy either, he probably was caring for these animals for whatever reason. His trouble with the law was related to animal abuse and neglect or so I heard, maybe he couldn't take care of them or something.

I also think that maybe the animals are better off, life in a cage has to be bad.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Snooze, I did not hear of this on the news which I am glad of cuz it would have upset me terribly. I am mortified at what I see just volunteering with Animal Advocates.

And we call ourselves humans? Well we (and I am generalizing here) are not even humane.
ellieR

Post by ellieR »

This is so sad for me to even watch. I hope they change the law so that exotic animals cannot be pets in that state.
tabby

Post by tabby »

This is indeed a sad story and the animals paid a high price for this man's mental unbalance. Assuming the law enforcement's first priority was public safety, they most likely felt pressure to resolve the problem by killing the animals outright in order to reduce danger as quickly as possible. Just a guess.

I read this morning that the zoo(s) are now reporting the animals they did save were adjusting well to their new environments.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I would have been more frightened if I hadn't been so preoccupied with the round up and eventual relocation of these animals back to their "natural" habitat.

The only animal left is a baboon, 1, 2, 3,.. ahhhhh, how cute!!!!!!!!
tabby

Post by tabby »

On a lighter note, I did enjoy the ambivalence of this headline:

Sheriff: Animal bit Ohio man after he shot himself - US news - Life - msnbc.com
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

ellieR;1373083 wrote: This is so sad for me to even watch. I hope they change the law so that exotic animals cannot be pets in that state.

Could you please clear up a matter of long standing confusion for me.

Why "in that state" rather then "in this country"? What is it about Ohio that needs such a law where, say, Pennsylvania would not?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

To be fair I read that as 'in that condition' or 'under them circumstances' not in that specific State.

While understanding the sad loss of some majestic animals, the authorities main concern must always be the protection of the local population.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm guessing that she would like to see the keeping of exotic animals outlawed nationwide but specified Ohio because of the recent event.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1373099 wrote: Could you please clear up a matter of long standing confusion for me.

Why "in that state" rather then "in this country"? What is it about Ohio that needs such a law where, say, Pennsylvania would not?

Each State have their own set of laws when there are no Federal laws to cover such circumstances.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Bryn Mawr;1373099 wrote: Could you please clear up a matter of long standing confusion for me.

It has always been that way, that each state sets their own regulations in regards to possession of exotic wildlife.

Ohio's temporary ban on private possession of exotic animals officially expired on April 6, 2011. Unfortunately, Gov. John Kasich did not extend the ban and has asked the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to draft recommendations for a proposed rulemaking

Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

This is indeed a tragedy.

Perhaps all owners of pets. whether domestic or exotic, should consider how their animals will be taken care of if and when something happens to them, the owner.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ellieR

Post by ellieR »

Every state in the United States have different laws regarding exotic animals as pets and that is what I meant by saying in that state, meaning Ohio. I am sorry for the confusion.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1373117 wrote: Each State have their own set of laws when there are no Federal laws to cover such circumstances.

Mustang;1373121 wrote: It has always been that way, that each state sets their own regulations in regards to possession of exotic wildlife.

Summary of State Laws Relating to Private Possession of Exotic Animals

This is exactly why it is a confusion of long standing - is the USA a country or a ragbag of states who rub along together? OK, that might be a brutal way of phrasing it but either you are a nation in which case the law should be the same for all, or it's a mish-mash and there is no unity.

To whom do you give your loyalty? To the USA or to Ohio?

I was horrified to find, some months ago, that the State Guard can run their own Air Force under the control of the Governor - if that is true then who should the UK be negotiating with? The US federal administration or each of the state Governors independently?

The equivalent for the UK would be for Rutland to have different laws to Leicestershire and for Cornwall to threaten to apply for sovereign status - it would be anarchy!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1373117 wrote: Each State have their own set of laws when there are no Federal laws to cover such circumstances.

ellieR;1373274 wrote: Every state in the United States have different laws regarding exotic animals as pets and that is what I meant by saying in that state, meaning Ohio. I am sorry for the confusion.

No need to apologise, I recognise the situation but the why of it confuses me.

Return to “Current Events”