The Blood Is Strong, a scottish forum

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

For all those Scottish members interested in their Scottish clans, culture, heritage and family history research.

www.thebloodisstrong.com
gmc

Post by gmc »

Quite a few canadians and irish as well I notice. I think i will join and shout abuse from the back row. Especially those idiots that think an ayrshire dialect as wrote by rabbie burns was spoken by all scots. Funniest debate about it I have ever seen was between one of the Kelvinside lovies and an Aberdonian one in broad scots the other in Doric with pauses for english translations so they could understand each other.

from one of the forums

Joint winners of The JT : "All the lights are on, but no one’s home" award goes this week to the Orange Order and The Catholic Church.

Bet you can realate to that.

The G8 summit is taking place at Gleneagles in June. Happily thay have agreed it will not be necessary to shut the A9. Pity in a way, the resulting warfare would have been a joy to behold.
Bullet

Post by Bullet »

capt_buzzard wrote: For all those Scottish members interested in their Scottish clans, culture, heritage and family history research.

www.thebloodisstrong.comI got an error screen from the link. Is there something wrong or am I not doing it right?
Death is more universal than life. For although everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.
persephone

Post by persephone »

Worked for me.

And yuck, I can't do a search without being a member.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

letha wrote: Worked for me.

And yuck, I can't do a search without being a member.www.tartans.com

Another Scottish forum,
jbbarker1947

Post by jbbarker1947 »

capt_buzzard wrote: For all those Scottish members interested in their Scottish clans, culture, heritage and family history research.

www.thebloodisstrong.com

Maybe I should add another flag. My mother was a Lauderdale. Before that, the name was Maitland. All of our ancestors came out of Thilestaine Castle and near the town of Lauder. Has anyone ever been there? If I ever return to Europe, that may be one of my "must see" destinations.
spot

Post by spot »

I don't know about "must see" - surely it's "must stay for a while"? With that sort of association, you need a week talking to people and getting to terms with the place.

It's odd seeing the Captain's name up again against a thread. People never go, but they do leave long gaps sometimes. There's no such thing as an "ex-poster" unless they've died.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

I joined this board a couple of weeks ago & have enjoyed my stay so far. Both of my parents were born & raised in & around Aberdeen. I too, was born in Aberdeen but came to the states when I was seven. From my parents & relatives, I was raised around the Aberdeen tongue. I've had a lot of fun with it & am reminded of how many different dialects there are in Scotland. When I say something Aberdonian to my Glagwegian friend, she has no clue what I'm saying. I often have difficulty understanding her too. Through this board, I have become interested in genealogy & have recently located my mother's second cousin. A cousin we had never heard of. It's been quite exciting!
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

one of my x boyfriends said i had lizard lips, maybe we're related :p
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

buttercup wrote: one of my x boyfriends said i had lizard lips, maybe we're related :p

:) No doubt!

BTW, I love your siggy!
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

i got it from chocoholic, she finds the best animations & sparklies :-4
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(Popping in here to say that I have SEEN Liz and there's no way her mouth resembles that of a reptile!)

(Those vertically slit PUPILS are a tad off-putting, though.)

(JOKINGJOKINGJOKING):D
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lizard Lips

Post by Lizard Lips »

Lulu2 wrote:

(Those vertically slit PUPILS are a tad off-putting, though.)

Very funny, LuLu!

Vertically slit pupils INDEED!
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

i knew that drunk on champagne photo would come back to haunt me :D
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

spot wrote: I don't know about "must see" - surely it's "must stay for a while"? With that sort of association, you need a week talking to people and getting to terms with the place.

It's odd seeing the Captain's name up again against a thread. People never go, but they do leave long gaps sometimes. There's no such thing as an "ex-poster" unless they've died.

where is the captain, has anyone heard from him?

its been a loooooooooooong time :confused:
ladyinthemists

Post by ladyinthemists »

Well...it would appear that the "The Blood Is Strong" forum has died out and is no longer in existance. Does anyone have any info on what happened to it? Where do the posters go when a board dies?
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

we go back to the 11th century ...too bad the link didn't work .
ladyinthemists

Post by ladyinthemists »

Does anyone have any idea as to what happened to the "The Blood Is Strong" forum site? It seems to no longer be in existance.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Most of those kind of sites tend to be scots, australian or canadian americans that have a slightly glamorised view of what was left behind. If there hadn't been the release of emigration there would have been bloody warfare and rebellion instead people were shipped off wholesale.

You can search the census records free of charge and track down your roots if you know where your family came from.

Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople

Before the official census the general assembly of scotland asked local ministers to prepare accounts of their parishes. the first was in the 1790's To be a minister you had to be a university graduate and some of them had a scientific curiosity and gave detailed reports on what was happening in their parish at the time including things like who was emigrating and why.

EDINA Statistical Accounts of Scotland: Description

Return to “Scotland”