The Disability Test.

A forum for our physically challenged members.
retepsnikrep

The Disability Test.

Post by retepsnikrep »

There are great disadvantages in being disabled.

There are however some advantages in concessions and considerations, which try to compensate, or at least ameliorate, the effects of disability.

If you can get the latter advantages without the disadvantages of the former, that would be good wouldn't it?

Not under my rules it wouldn't.

Example...Unauthorised Parking in disabled spot - Penalty: One year in prison, making aluminium walking sticks.

You need to be old to remember the old blue, sliding door, 250cc two-stroke A.C. three wheeled cars for the disabled? They were terrible, and cost about as much as a Ford Cortina. So it’s much better for disabled people's cars to be normal models.

I am surprised though that many seem to be top of the range, pretty powerful. Can't be for fetching paving slabs, or carrying the tools for a scaffolder. I would have thought Micra's would have done. It may be (I don't actually know how it works) that extra money can be contributed by the disabled person to a basic amount provided by the Department of Providing the Basic Amount, to get a better car. Perhaps the amount allowed should shrink by the amount added. At the extreme, buying the whole car themselves. We should remember that the money to buy these cars is provided by a low paid couple called Mark and Laura, with two small children, in a starter home, who look down the side of their settee every Thursday for lost change. They have a G reg.Fiesta.

I believe that more than one in ten (I'm not sure of any facts on this subject.) people are registered disabled. It seems a lot until you see the number of cars with disabled badges that park in City Centres. I wonder why all these disabled persons shop in the Centre of the City? It can't be easy for them, you need to be fairly able-bodied to survive in the madding crowd. I suppose it’s not so bad in fact, as normal parking becomes more and more difficult, so City Centres are becoming the preserves of the disabled. It may become an exclusive area with a preponderance of wheelchair and hearing aid shops.

There are two different badges for parking privilege, Orange or Green. I don't really understand the logic of that. Either you are disabled or you are not. We could progress through various colours to a purple badge for being a bit rough on Monday Mornings.

You can't check on the people who park in disabled spaces for two reasons. First, if they are disabled you look pretty bad. If they are not disabled then their general level of reasonableness is likely to be very low, and they would probably have as little compunction in beating you up, as they had in parking there in the first place. Incidentally, if they say they were just nipping in for something and wouldn't be a minute, then the one year sentence in my Court is automatically doubled. To stop all this let us develop a microchip for all cars, to radiate ‘disabled’or ‘non disabled’. Easy enough. A chip implanted in the car parks reads the chips in the cars. A Non-Disabled car in Disabled space is detected. Result, jagged ramps rise, car immovable, Police only can remove. In all cases chummy is soon banged up in special chokey making the walking sticks and zimmer frames.

I will be accused of lack of sympathy won't I? If a brief explanation will help this is it. Being disabled myself I wish to be as hard as possible on abuse by the able-bodied of the facilities provided for the disabled, and vice-versa.

Peter ;)
Accountable

The Disability Test.

Post by Accountable »

retepsnikrep;492764 wrote: You can't check on the people who park in disabled spaces for two reasons. First, if they are disabled you look pretty bad. If they are not disabled then their general level of reasonableness is likely to be very low, and they would probably have as little compunction in beating you up, as they had in parking there in the first place. Incidentally, if they say they were just nipping in for something and wouldn't be a minute, then the one year sentence in my Court is automatically doubled. To stop all this let us develop a microchip for all cars, to radiate ‘disabled’or ‘non disabled’. Easy enough. A chip implanted in the car parks reads the chips in the cars. A Non-Disabled car in Disabled space is detected. Result, jagged ramps rise, car immovable, Police only can remove. In all cases chummy is soon banged up in special chokey making the walking sticks and zimmer frames.

I will be accused of lack of sympathy won't I? If a brief explanation will help this is it. Being disabled myself I wish to be as hard as possible on abuse by the able-bodied of the facilities provided for the disabled, and vice-versa.I like the idea of the "jagged ramps". Spring-loaded spikes, right? A passive system like that would force offenders to confess - call the cops to re-set the spikes. :D I also like the vice-versa idea of the same spikes coming up in non-disabled parking spots when a disabled car (my car's disabled but I couldn't come up with a better phrase) pulls in. I mean, you've got the best parking spots, why take mine? :D
tr0lle

The Disability Test.

Post by tr0lle »

"There are great disadvantages in being disabled."

What the **** are you talking about? Disadvantages in being disabled are lies, hell I'd cut off my leg if I owned a saw.
tr0lle

The Disability Test.

Post by tr0lle »

tr0lle;551453 wrote: "There are great disadvantages in being disabled."

What the **** are you talking about? Disadvantages in being disabled are lies, hell I'd cut off my leg if I owned a saw.

Just testing the word filters here.
maidangela7349

The Disability Test.

Post by maidangela7349 »

I am disabled and have a blue badge. I dont understand the reference to different colour badges. The general European one is blue but some cities to have a green badge system but only for local residents and no colour represents your level of disablement. There is a problem with misuse of the badge and people parking in disabled spaces. I think this could be largely solved if policemen, parking attendants, community support officers etc were given instructions to first look out for people parking in disabled spaces without a badge and issuing tickets and second to keep a look out for someone getting in or out of a car who does not look disabled but has a badge. There are lot of disabled people who do not, at first, look disabled including me. I and I think all of them would not object to being questioned on the point and could show the back of the badge which has their picture on it as it is in our interest to stop the misuse of these badges.
maidangela7349

The Disability Test.

Post by maidangela7349 »

There are disadvantages to being disabled of course but the way to deal with this is to ignore your disability as much as possible and to take as much advantage of it as possible. Neither of these ploys will completely negate the disadvantages but they do go some way towards it.
mrsK

The Disability Test.

Post by mrsK »

maidangela7349;943262 wrote: There are disadvantages to being disabled of course but the way to deal with this is to ignore your disability as much as possible and to take as much advantage of it as possible. Neither of these ploys will completely negate the disadvantages but they do go some way towards it.

I agree with you.

Kids are really good at doing it:-4:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
kasjaws

The Disability Test.

Post by kasjaws »

I am with you! I am disabled and so often cannot find a handicap spot at the grocery store or the library even. I think there are not enough spaces as the baby boom generation ages, but the use of these spaces by the able bodied is disgraceful!
Oscar Namechange

The Disability Test.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My husband Is registered disabled.

His condition means that although he Is very Ill, he doesn't look It.

I have now lost count of the amount of times we have parked up In the disabled bay outside the supermarket and before we can even undo our seatbelts,, some smug know It all leans across and tells us ... This Is for disabled people you know'

Sometimes they have gone Into quite a rant about how selfish he Is so now we let them finish ranting and without saying a word, put the disabled badge In the car window and walk off laughing at them. It Is the looks of total embarrassment on their faces that really make my day.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

The Disability Test.

Post by Peg »

I think I'll start doing that Oscar. LOL We've gotten dirty looks pulling into the handicap spot with our placard but as soon as they see me walk, I think they understand why we have it.
spot

The Disability Test.

Post by spot »

I keep thinking you'll one day put your Chubby Checker impersonation on Youtube, Peg. It'll go stratospheric, you'll be on Wilma.

eta: I'd forgotten how good he was. That's quite a voice.

I might do my hair like that.

eta2: the advanced option
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

The Disability Test.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Peg;1369783 wrote: I think I'll start doing that Oscar. LOL We've gotten dirty looks pulling into the handicap spot with our placard but as soon as they see me walk, I think they understand why we have it. What Is fascinating Peg, Is that these people pounce on you with the combination of silent glares, patronising pointing to the 'Disabled Only' sign and the full rant before you have had time to draw breath.

It seems to me that unless your head Is not hanging off, It Is assumed you are a selfish so and so taking a disabled bay.

Even when the badge goes In the window and we are walking away from the car, we can feel them staring at us thinking to themselves... 'Look, there's nothing wrong with him, he's walking'.

I remember one woman very recently who did this to us outside the supermarket. Even before we were out of the car, she was leaning In through the window telling us we couldn't park there. My husband said nothing until she had finished, put the badge In the window, we got out and locked the car and begun walking Into the store. She then asked him... 'Well, what's wrong with you then'? In a real nasty accusing way.

I wanted to punch her frankly but my husband just looked at her and said very nicely ..' I'm dying'.. and carried on walking.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Accountable

The Disability Test.

Post by Accountable »

I've always wanted to pull into a handicap spot and get out wearing sun glasses and carrying a white cane. :yh_sungla

Return to “Physically Challenged”