Goodbye Kauto Star

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Odie

Goodbye Kauto Star

Post by Odie »

oscar;1365688 wrote: My prediction for another Kauto Star actually lies within the same stable, same trainer and same jockey.

I have had the pleasure of seeing this horse run several times and he possesses all the qualities of a champion In the making although his following on Facebook seem to have him up there already.

Horse of the Year- Big Buck's - YouTube

Wikki seems to confirm his status as the greatest chasing hurdler. At just 7 years old, he has achieved much and has much more to prove.

He became the only horse this year to win 3 consecutive World Hurdle. I will be at Cheltenham next March hopefully to see him crown a 4th.

that's Kauto's brother we were just talking about.

You must be so excited being able to see the new one next spring.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Taken from Paul Nicholls writing for Betfair:

Kauto and Denman are enjoying themselves out in the field and it's business as usual for Big Buck's. Paul Nicholls provides an update on his top horses.

As I said earlier, in many ways this is a season of the changing of the old guard here at Ditcheat. But I suppose we still have the odd established star here and there, too, even if some of them probably won't be around for much longer.

Of course, there has been a lot of speculation about Kauto Star's future after his Punchestown run. But he is still out enjoying himself in a field with Denman, and we will leave him there for a bit longer while the sun is still shining, though they may both come back in next Monday. There are no plans at all for Kauto at this stage, and won't be until I sit down and talk to Clive.

The plans for Denman are more clear cut after discussions between myself and Paul Barber. The plan is that Denman will have two runs this season, the Lexus and Gold Cup, and Cheltenham will probably be his swansong. When both horses do eventually call it a day, I really would like to keep them together in retirement, wherever that may be, as they love each other's company. But that is obviously a matter for Paul and Clive to discuss and agree upon.

Contrary to what appeared in the Telegraph, Big Buck's has not had a breathing operation. I think I summarized the situation quite well when journalists rang to check on the accuracy of that story.

"It's bollocks," said I.

In fact, the horse of Andy Stewart's that has had a breathing operation is Celestial Halo. As for Big Buck's, it will be business as usual for him this season, with the same targets as in previous years.

Master Minded excites me for the coming season, too, and he will have Georgie back riding him out at home. He will run in the Ascot race he won last season before taking on Long Run in the King George. Obviously the trip is an unknown but the two times we have stepped him up in trip, he has delivered, so we are hopeful; his nine length win over Albertas Run at Aintree certainly opened up options and his class has never been in doubt. But I fully respect Long Run, and I think Philip Hobbs has a couple of serious prospects in Wishfull Thinking and Captain Chris. But I am really looking forward to seeing Master Minded run.

Triumph Hurdle winner Zarkandar is probably the most high profile horse in the yard to have had a breathing operation. He was struggling in that area last season and always made a noise, so let's hope that it has improved him, as second-season hurdlers do tend to struggle historically, with Katchit an honourable exception. He was clearly progressive last season though and is around second favourite for the Champion Hurdle behind Hurricane Fly; options are open for him at this stage, but maybe the Greatwood could be a good starting point.

Our Supreme winner Al Ferof actually comes back into the yard tomorrow. I have him earmarked for a 2m1f at Exeter for his reappearance, though he will probably want 2m4f in time.

Silviniaco Conti is very much the forgotten horse of the hurdling division - he was very impressive when beating Karabak by seven lengths in the Coral Hurdle at Ascot in November, after which I believe Timeform put him up as ante-post bet for the Champion Hurdle. I never truly had him down as a two miler though, and think he is more of a 3m horse. We have yet to decide whether he will go novice chasing but the Ascot race he won last year was worth £50,000 to the winner, so perhaps we will send him there again and consider our options thereafter.

Mon Parrain excited many people towards the end of last season, not least because of his superb jumping, and I agree that he could develop into a top drawer performer. But the fact is that he only won off 133 at Sandown and was beaten four lengths off 149 in the Topham. I have my eye on the Paddy Power Gold Cup for him.

Of the others Aiteen Thirtythree has had his shins pin fired and I will try and get him to the Hennessy; Sanctuaire will go novice chasing and I am going to target Ghizao for the Haldon Gold Cup, all things being well.

Read More Paul Nicholls

Timeform Betfair Racing Club: The latest stable news
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

I won a lot of money on this race but from where I was standing on the track, I was about to tear my ticket up.

Haydock - Betfair Chase 2009 - YouTube

It was a grey dull day and visibility wasn't brilliant. Was Imperial Commander robbed? Yes, I think he was from where I was standing.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

I couldn't get to Ireland last year to see Kauto at Down Royal.

As usual, the pundits were quick to pounce on his age and that he would lose out to up and coming young pretenders such as 'Sizing Europe' and 'China Rock'.

I must admit that at the time, I did believe my money was unsafe due to China Rock.

Watching the race via Satellite, both the young pretenders looked dangerous In the final stages. Then Kauto did what he always did and found something extra, demolishing the pair of them by 4 lengths.

Sizing Europe went on to win the Queen Mother Championship at Cheltenham following that race but I still maintain only because Master Minded wrong footed at the second to last.

kauto star at down royal - YouTube

I had great hopes for Kauto following this race. To demolish Sizing Europe and China Rock by 4 lengths at the age of 11 was some feat and I believed he would take a 5th consecutive King George In December of last year, however, an Infection was discovered after he lost to Long Run.
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

The has to be my favourite you tube clip ever.

Totesport.com Cheltenham Gold Cup 2010.mpeg - YouTube

It totally summed up the excitement and fever we all felt waiting for the Gold Cup last year.

The score stood at Denman one, Kauto two... the excitement of weather Denman would settle that score was almost unbearable.

Denman finished the race behind Imperial Commander but all our hopes and dreams of Kauto making It three, crashed to the turf with him at the fourth last fence... a fall that very nearly broke his neck and he was lucky to survive,

Although Kauto and Denman have different owners, It Is heart warming to hear that trainer Paul Nicholls will be talking to them to see If they can live together after Denman retires next years.
spot

Goodbye Kauto Star

Post by spot »

My word I'm sick of this pretend sport, horse-racing. If the news were to announce the death of the last race-horse in the country I'd heave a sigh of relief. A more useless waste of money was never devised.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

spot;1369246 wrote: My word I'm sick of this pretend sport, horse-racing. If the news were to announce the death of the last race-horse in the country I'd heave a sigh of relief. A more useless waste of money was never devised.

Pretend In what sense Spot?

As opposed to what other sports.?
spot

Goodbye Kauto Star

Post by spot »

oscar;1369247 wrote: Pretend In what sense Spot?

As opposed to what other sports.?
I thought the entire point of handicapping was to turn each race into a randomized result generator for the bookies. Pretend in that sense. Pretend in the sense that the best horse isn't intended to win.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

spot;1369255 wrote: I thought the entire point of handicapping was to turn each race into a randomized result generator for the bookies. Pretend in that sense. Pretend in the sense that the best horse isn't intended to win. Well believe It or not, I am totally with you on that one and If I had my way, handicapping would end.

Although I do not believe that handicapping Is to benefit the bookies, more the owners, the trainers and the grading system for a horse to be upgraded to a level to compete In the bigger prize races.
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

" It's not right, he has to just paddle through, boy he was clever, he might have been a bit lucky as well, but he's got so much talent this horse, he was going well enough to survive It "

The commentary In a heart stopping moment as he approached the hurdle on course for a fall.

Champion 3m Chaser- Kauto Star - YouTube
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

The largest pay out I ever had was on the 2009 Gold Cup.

Once again, the speculation of the Kauto/Denman rivalry was electric on the course.

I had a straight win on Kauto Star. A straight win on Denman to cover myself and a reversed forecast of the two to come 1st and 2nd.

For a fun bet, I decided to go for a tricast and predict first, second and third.

I was torn for the third place between Neptunes Collognes and Exotic Dancer as both were food for a place but decided to go for Exotic Dancer... truth was, I didn't really care. I was there to see Kauto win.

As Kauto crossed the line and made history by becoming the only horse to re-gain the Gold Cup after losing his crown to Denman the previous year, the roar from the crowd was deafening.

I knew Denman was a close second behind him and knew I had my reversed forecast. Due to the noise, It was some minutes before I realised Exotic Dancer has crossed the line In third. Neptunes Collognes was a close fourth and the chances of me ever getting that score again are nil.

Kauto Star was returned the 7-4 favourite, Denman 7-1 and Exotic Dancer 8-1

The pay out on the Tote for that result filled me with relief that I had placed my bet earlier with a chain of bookmakers and not my brother on the day.

Exotic Dancer's loss Is still felt badly at Cheltenham and I still miss him.

Exotic Dancer - YouTube

A brave horse to the last
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

Many ask me 'Why the sheepskin noseband on Kauto Star ?

Some trainers use It purely to Identify a horse In a large field, some for appearence but as I understood it, Kauto's distinctive noseband came after the blunders at the hurdles In his early career. The noseband forces a horse to look down and aid concentration as was the decision by the same trainer to blinker 'What A Friend' after he started to hang In the Hennessy.

These horses know they are superstars and I always find It amusing the way they sometimes play to the adoring crowds.

One could not help but chuckle In the 2010 Hennessy Gold Cup after Madison Du Berlais and Neptunes Collognes crashed to the turf at the 4th hurdle. Once back on their feet, they finished the race riderless but It was the point where they passed the Grandstand that made us all chuckle. Both horses ran over to the side of the course of the Grandstand looking to the crowd for their applause.... In a sort of ' What ?? ' expression.... just wish I had a video of that..... but here's another that proves beyond any doubt that these horses know they are adored and how pissed they get when they lose.

Angry Horse Vs Irish Raptor - YouTube

Jockey Paddy Brennan... could not have happened better !! Well done that Angry Horse
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

I wonder what he will best be remembered for when he made history In so many ways.

The only horse to ever re-gain the Gold Cup ?

The only horse to win by a mile ?

For me he will be the undisputed King of Kempton Park and I do hope they do raise a statue In his honour.

King George VI Chase: The Kauto Star Story - YouTube
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

Three Kings: Tribute to Kauto Denman & Long Run - YouTube

I have to say I am not happy finding this tribute to 'The Three Kings'. I don't like Long Run being classed as a King with Kauto and Denman. For me, Long Run just hasn't done enough yet.he won the 2010 King George where It was found Kauto was suffering from an Infection after the race. He won the Cheltenham Gold Cup this year beating Kauts and Denman Into 2nd and 3rd.

The proof will be this years King George where I am convinced he will be beaten Into 2nd by the mighty 'Master Minded'.
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

Sometimes I find my sport just so heartbreaking.

Just reading the updates on Tricky Trickster who Is recovering well after breaking his neck at Uttoxeter, I am reminded of another of Pauls horses.

Twist Magic had to be put down after falling at the second-last fence in the Peterborough Chase at Newbury last year.

Tribute to Twist Magic
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

The Heart Never Lies - Horse Racing Tribute - YouTube

Some great moments In this one, showing the cream of National Hunt chasers, Big Bucks, Master Minded, Nacarat, Neptunes Collognes, Kauts and Denman.
peleus

Goodbye Kauto Star

Post by peleus »

I just hope something will come up in the future similar to Kauto Star.
Never quit.
Oscar Namechange

Goodbye Kauto Star

peleus;1443035 wrote: I just hope something will come up in the future similar to Kauto Star. Something has In the form of Sprinter Sacre

and I think there's a few that could possibly In the future be household names... Our Conor, The New One, Simonsig If he recovers from his Injury.

But, no, over fences, over 3 miles, I don't think we'll ever see the like of Kauto or Denman ever again for generations to come.

Return to “Sports”