Hurricane Irene...

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
fuzzywuzzy

Hurricane Irene...

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

chonsigirl;1367458 wrote: They take them with cell phones anyway-but the news also suggested posting them to facebook and stuff like that. You are right Peg, why stop and fiddle with gadgets, as a big old tree limb is headed your way in the wind!

i still remember the bloke (great comedian) who said ..."it's not 'that' the wind is a blowin......it's 'what' the wind is a blowin...it doesn't matter if you do 100 push ups a day. A VW parked in your spleen isn't gunna help you !!
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Wow....This is a picture taken outside of my brother's home. A nearby river has flooded the area. Just found it on Facebook.

Will try to call him later...right now his phone is not working. This is just awful! Thankfully, all are ok.

I'll see what my damage is hopefully today if I can get back on the island.

Attached files
CARLA

Hurricane Irene...

Post by CARLA »

Hope everything is OK when you get there KE and you can stay and clean up. The news is all about the power outages every where, no clean water, roads are out. Keep us posted your in my thoughts.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Hurricane Irene...

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh my Kathy, that is awful. Look at the height of the water.

Kathy, on your cell phone, try texting him. It worked here when there was no phone service, the text and net would work.

Let us know what you find at home, hopefully everything will be all right.
flopstock

Hurricane Irene...

Post by flopstock »

I have my fingers crossed for you KE!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I sat up late last night watching Fox news and so many awful pictures were coming In.

England has had It's share of flooding In the past especially near to me In Gloucester and I did live through the night In Sussex when a hurricane hit us. In 1987. In the morning the destruction was just incredible. We even had beach chalets end up 3 miles In land. I remember being so terrified that night so I really feel for anyone In the middle of this.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Hurricane Irene...

Post by LarsMac »

On thing to keep in mind. This was a fairly "mild" storm.

A cat 1-2 at the worst.

Most of the damage as water and sand being moved around.

A lot of trees, blew over (principle cause of deaths, it seems.)

This is an example of why they should always be taken seriously.

The North East is NOT prepared for a large storm, Cat 4 or 5, such as Katrina.

If you live in the North East, near the water, and a cat 4 ever comes your way, I suggest a trip to upstate New York.

or perhaps Indiana.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Irene...

LarsMac;1367481 wrote: On thing to keep in mind. This was a fairly "mild" storm.

A cat 1-2 at the worst.

Most of the damage as water and sand being moved around.

A lot of trees, blew over (principle cause of deaths, it seems.)

This is an example of why they should always be taken seriously.

The North East is NOT prepared for a large storm, Cat 4 or 5, such as Katrina.

If you live in the North East, near the water, and a cat 4 ever comes your way, I suggest a trip to upstate New York.

or perhaps Indiana.

Worse for us In 1987 we had this knob come on TV and tell us this:

BBC weather blooper by Michael Fish storm of 1987 - YouTube

We all went to bed believing him..... He should have been sued !!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, I'm thrilled to finally be home!!

My home and town sustained little damage if any really. H2O heater and boiler are working, don't think my electricity ever went off, no flooding in my crawlspace, roof is still on and back yard is not flooded. Looks to me like a warm and happy little abode...lol

I'm thrilled beyond words that all is good.

Thanks everyone for your support. I appreciate it!!!!

I have 25 phone calls to return and 50 emails. But, I think that I'll go to the beach first....It's warm and sun is shining, and then bbq later.
CARLA

Hurricane Irene...

Post by CARLA »

Excellent beautiful day for the beach and a BBQ..!! :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

LarsMac

Hurricane Irene...

Post by LarsMac »

Well in the strictest sense of the idea, it was not a hurricane.

Though the difference is moot.

A really sad case of how poor the weather modeling as even so short a time ago.

Don't blame it on Mr Fish. The Met screwed the pooch on that one.
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

CARLA;1367495 wrote: Excellent beautiful day for the beach and a BBQ..!! :)

Yes, it is Carla. Thanks for all of your advice for me before being absconded to a hotel. It's gorgeous out right now.

Oh, and another reason why I didn't want to leave was due to looters. I live in a great town but I'm near a honky tonk town with some unsavory peeps. Luckily our police force was out and about the last week. There was only 1 robbery in the honky tonk town and your man was immediately caught.

I keep thinking of you when I hear of a robbery. Have you recovered from it yet? Bet you're very vigilant though.
LarsMac

Hurricane Irene...

Post by LarsMac »

Kathy Ellen;1367489 wrote: Well, I'm thrilled to finally be home!!

My home and town sustained little damage if any really. H2O heater and boiler are working, don't think my electricity ever went off, no flooding in my crawlspace, roof is still on and back yard is not flooded. Looks to me like a warm and happy little abode...lol

I have 25 phone calls to return and 50 emails. But, I think that I'll go to the beach first....It's warm and sun is shining, and then bbq later.

Glad to hear all seems well.

Enjoy
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1367474 wrote: I sat up late last night watching Fox news and so many awful pictures were coming In.

England has had It's share of flooding In the past especially near to me In Gloucester and I did live through the night In Sussex when a hurricane hit us. In 1987. In the morning the destruction was just incredible. We even had beach chalets end up 3 miles In land. I remember being so terrified that night so I really feel for anyone In the middle of this.

Yes, wasn't it last yr or 2 yrs. ago that GB and Ireland went thought god awful flooding? It's terriflying. I live between the bay and ocean and am only 9 ft. above the H20 table. We have a lot of flooding here, but I have great sump pumps.
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Irene...

LarsMac;1367496 wrote: Well in the strictest sense of the idea, it was not a hurricane.

Though the difference is moot.

A really sad case of how poor the weather modeling as even so short a time ago.

Don't blame it on Mr Fish. The Met screwed the pooch on that one.
Well I could have killed him at the time :wah::wah:

It had to be one of the most frightening times of my life. My ex husband who was a Fireman was away all night and I was alone. I couldn't even leave the house to go to a neighbour or family. My parents lost their roof. My sister spent the entire night clinging to her outdoor bird avary's.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 16 | 1987: Hurricane winds batter southern England
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

LarsMac;1367499 wrote: Glad to hear all seems well.

Enjoy

Thanks Lars. I'm happy as a lark.
chonsigirl

Hurricane Irene...

Post by chonsigirl »

Hooray, the house is fine, the sun is out (and school too!) go have a wonderful afternoon Kathy!
Clodhopper

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Clodhopper »

Glad to hear all is well, KE. Was really worried about what you'd find.

chuckle. If there's a silver lining to all this cloud, it seems you are appreciating your wonderful place more than ever!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Clodhopper;1367542 wrote: Glad to hear all is well, KE. Was really worried about what you'd find.

chuckle. If there's a silver lining to all this cloud, it seems you are appreciating your wonderful place more than ever!

Ahhh Thanks Clod. I was so worried because they threw us off island for 3 days, and I was so worried that my home flooded or the roof was blown away.

Yes, I love the silver lining to the cloud and do appreciate my home.

It's good to see you. How are you...haven't talked in a long time. Hope all is good with you.
spot

Hurricane Irene...

Post by spot »

I'm delighted your roof's still over your head and you have power, Kathy Ellen. You must have been good in a past life.

As for Michael Fish, doesn't he now claim to have been misinterpreted? I think he's going too far if he does. He might claim to have said something imprecisely which came out wrong, that could be so.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1367474 wrote: I remember being so terrified that night so I really feel for anyone In the middle of this.

I slept through it all, my wife asked if I was going to go to work in a very shocked manner........

I had to navigate around and over some fallen trees, otherwise, I was on time.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

oscar;1367501 wrote: Well I could have killed him at the time :wah::wah:

It had to be one of the most frightening times of my life. My ex husband who was a Fireman was away all night and I was alone. I couldn't even leave the house to go to a neighbour or family. My parents lost their roof. My sister spent the entire night clinging to her outdoor bird avary's.

BBC ON THIS DAY | 16 | 1987: Hurricane winds batter southern England

OMGaaad Julie...that was a bad storm. Your poor family...man, I'd hate to lose my roof. Please explain what happened to your sister...
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;1367568 wrote: I'm delighted your roof's still over your head and you have power, Kathy Ellen. You must have been good in a past life.

As for Michael Fish, doesn't he now claim to have been misinterpreted? I think he's going too far if he does. He might claim to have said something imprecisely which came out wrong, that could be so.

Thanks Spot...Yes, the heavens looked down on me and blessed my home...lol.

Seriously, my town lucked out. Other seaside towns had their boardwalk and buildings land in the sea. Thankfully, not many people were hurt.
Scrat

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Scrat »

Glad to see you came through alright Kathy. Best of luck on rebuilding for those who lost their homes.
Peg

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Peg »

Kathy Ellen;1367489 wrote: Well, I'm thrilled to finally be home!!

I am so relieved and happy for you!!
LarsMac

Hurricane Irene...

Post by LarsMac »

Batten down the hatches, everyone.

This one could be the big mother.

National Hurricane Center
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Irene...

Kathy Ellen;1367581 wrote: OMGaaad Julie...that was a bad storm. Your poor family...man, I'd hate to lose my roof. Please explain what happened to your sister... My sister died of breast cancer but this was before she came Ill. She bred exotic birds and had over a 1,000 at the time, Lovebirds, parakeets etc. She knew every single one and could even tell you what chick had come from what parent. One side of her house had several large avary's mainly made of timber, and the night of the big storm, her and any one else available just clung on to them all night trying to avoid being knocked out by flying missiles such as garden furnature from neighbours being picked up In the wind. She did lose 30 birds but the loss was small compared to what It could have been. When she died, her husband couldn't bear to part with them because they were her passion and when I go to see him, If the windows In the car are down, I can hear the birds before I have even turned Into her road.

She was more In land than the rest of us. My parents lived In a seaside town of West Sussex and lost their roof along with a few neighbours.

I lived at the time on the coast also and a friend of mine told us how she looked out the window In the middle of the storm to see a shed complete with gardening tools hanging out of It sailing down the High Street.

In my road, tiles were flying off roofs, the power lines came down and the wind was so strong I could not even get out the house.

My niece up In Telscombe Cliffs also suffered badly, one entire caravan park up there was wiped out.
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Irene...

Bruv;1367579 wrote: I slept through it all, my wife asked if I was going to go to work in a very shocked manner........

I had to navigate around and over some fallen trees, otherwise, I was on time. After the worst was over, my sisters husband attempted to go to work. He came back In the house and told my sister he couldn't get to work that day because there was something wrong with the car. Asking what was wrong with It, he said... 'It's underneath a wall'.
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

LarsMac;1367607 wrote: Batten down the hatches, everyone.

This one could be the big mother.

National Hurricane Center

Oy, I will read this later...too scary to read right now.
Kathy Ellen

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thank you so much Scrat and Peg. I'm happy this storm is over, but it appears we might have another one on the way.

Bad news for my brother. Due to the overflow of water in the nearby river, he had 4 feet on water in his basement. It took 2 days for the water to recede. Luckily, he has a few sump pumps, like I do, and he was able to get all the water out. They were able to move furniture to higher grounds. His poor house smells like disinfectant. Poor family.

Thanks again for all of your support. I really appreciate it!!
Oscar Namechange

Hurricane Irene...

Kathy Ellen;1367681 wrote: Thank you so much Scrat and Peg. I'm happy this storm is over, but it appears we might have another one on the way.

Bad news for my brother. Due to the overflow of water in the nearby river, he had 4 feet on water in his basement. It took 2 days for the water to recede. Luckily, he has a few sump pumps, like I do, and he was able to get all the water out. They were able to move furniture to higher grounds. His poor house smells like disinfectant. Poor family.

Thanks again for all of your support. I really appreciate it!! I have been watching on TV... the community spirit looks fab... everyone coming together... wouldn't happen here, they'd loot your house.
Betty Boop

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1367699 wrote: I have been watching on TV... the community spirit looks fab... everyone coming together... wouldn't happen here, they'd loot your house.

Balls! Of course there would be community spirit!

Glad all was ok this time Kathy, will look into what's being expected next as soon as I've fed Jowan and got him ready for bed.
chonsigirl

Hurricane Irene...

Post by chonsigirl »

Still no school tomorrow, and only lights with a generator. I went in today, the principal was sitting outside in a nice lawn chair. She warned me I had the "disco room." "Oh really," I asked her. "Flip the light switches and see."

And I went down the dark hallway to my room, flipped on the switch, and the lights flashed on and off in a cirular pattern. Good grief! I only stayed an hour or so, and went back home, probably until next week. :(
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Hurricane Irene...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Jasus BeJabers - I've only just found this thread and it scared the living daylights out of me as I read through it.

So glad to find you came through it OK Kathy and I hope your brother's home doesn't suffer too much lasting damage from the flooding.

Oscar, my wife, youngest daughter and I spent that windy night camped out on Beachy Head - in the morning our was one of the three tents left standing.
chonsigirl

Hurricane Irene...

Post by chonsigirl »

I'm finally going to school Tuesday, it took all week to get electricity.
spot

Hurricane Irene...

Post by spot »

What on earth do you think batteries are for?

On second thoughts, don't answer that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Hurricane Irene...

Post by chonsigirl »

spot;1368058 wrote: What on earth do you think batteries are for?

On second thoughts, don't answer that.

LOL I cannot tell you how many men have complained about the scented candles us ladies have used for a week.......................

Return to “Members' News”