FG Poll...

A forum created specifically for polls.
Oscar Namechange

FG Poll...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I appreciate that horse-racing Is not everyone's cup of tea but there Is a debate raging to ban the use of the whip.

I would be very Interested In the results of a poll.

Thank You
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ahso!

FG Poll...

Post by Ahso! »

Why is the use of a whip employed?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

FG Poll...

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1366946 wrote: Why is the use of a whip employed?

Usually for curfew violations.
Ahso!

FG Poll...

Post by Ahso! »

YZGI;1366949 wrote: Usually for curfew violations.Not by you, silly.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

FG Poll...

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1366942 wrote: I appreciate that horse-racing Is not everyone's cup of tea but there Is a debate raging to ban the use of the whip.

I would be very Interested In the results of a poll.

Thank You

Spare the whip:

Spoil the horse:

Next thing you know they will be rioting in the streets.
Kathy Ellen

FG Poll...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oscar

Where's your poll?

Do you have a good link that will give pros and cons for using a whip?
Lon

FG Poll...

Post by Lon »

A horse is a pretty big animal. Does the whip hurt the horse anymore than spurring him on?
Lon

FG Poll...

Post by Lon »

I support the use of the whip for "Elephant Racing".
LarsMac

FG Poll...

Post by LarsMac »

Perhaps if I understood "use of the whip" in racing, my opinion might be worthwhile.

If the whip causes pain to urge the horse to run faster, I would suspect it is subject to abuse.

So, is it the gummint that wants to ban its use, or the association of horse racing?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

FG Poll...

LarsMac;1366966 wrote: Perhaps if I understood "use of the whip" in racing, my opinion might be worthwhile.

If the whip causes pain to urge the horse to run faster, I would suspect it is subject to abuse.

So, is it the gummint that wants to ban its use, or the association of horse racing?

This Is a good article for and against the use of the whip.

Towcester: Jockeys in uproar as racecourse curbs use of whip | Mail Online
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

FG Poll...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1366966 wrote: Perhaps if I understood "use of the whip" in racing, my opinion might be worthwhile.

As I understand it you can hit the horse up to ?ten? times during the run in but not hard enough to leave a permanent mark so the use is already regulated by the Jockey Club.

The intention is to act a a reminder to the horse rather than to cause pain as such - much like the use of spurs?

It's those pesky animal rights terrorists who want to ban it - they're only out to cause trouble.
Oscar Namechange

FG Poll...

Bryn Mawr;1367027 wrote: As I understand it you can hit the horse up to ?ten? times during the run in but not hard enough to leave a permanent mark so the use is already regulated by the Jockey Club.

The intention is to act a a reminder to the horse rather than to cause pain as such - much like the use of spurs?

It's those pesky animal rights terrorists who want to ban it - they're only out to cause trouble.

Correct Bryn.

The reason Jockey Jason Maguire was handed a five day ban after winning on the 2011 Grand National was because he did not give the horse enough time to respond between each whip.

Schedule (B)6 - Use of Whip

The British Horseracing Authority will not tolerate abuse of the horse and consider its welfare, and the safety of the rider, to be paramount. The whip should be used for safety, correction and encouragement only and they therefore advise all riders to consider the following good ways of using the whip which are not exhaustive:

Showing the horse the whip and giving it time to respond before hitting it.

Using the whip in the backhand position for a reminder.

Having used the whip, giving the horse a chance to respond before using it again.

Keeping both hands on the reins when using the whip down the shoulder in the backhand position.

Using the whip in rhythm with the horse’s stride and close to its side.

Swinging the whip to keep a horse running straight.
Bruv

FG Poll...

Post by Bruv »

Could those 'rules' be any good for child rearing ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

FG Poll...

Bruv;1367056 wrote: Could those 'rules' be any good for child rearing ?
Only If the child Is 17 hands high, solid muscle and sinew, has a flourescent coloured midget on his back, and you need to correct him when he Is 'Hanging' at speeds In excess of 35 mph.
Bryn Mawr

FG Poll...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1367057 wrote: only if the child is 17 hands high, solid muscle and sinew, has a flourescent coloured midget on his back, and you need to correct him when he is 'hanging' at speeds in excess of 35 mph.

rotflmao
Oscar Namechange

FG Poll...

This Is one of the best examples I can think of as to why the whip Is needed to correct.

Fast forward the race to 7 minutes If you don't want to see the whole race.

Note 'What A Friend' In the sheepskin nose-band as he approaches the last fence at an approx speed of 35 mph

Denman - Hennessy Gold Cup 2009 (Copyright Channel 4) - YouTube
YZGI

FG Poll...

Post by YZGI »

Those are awesome races to watch. Much better than out flat track 2 1/2 minute races.
Oscar Namechange

FG Poll...

YZGI;1367141 wrote: Those are awesome races to watch. Much better than out flat track 2 1/2 minute races.

I have watched US racing Yzgi and even had a bet recently on the Kentucky Derby and mine came 2nd.

We have two seasons of racing here, the flat season the same as your flat track racing except on grass and In the winter months we have National Hunt Chasing and Hurdling.

When a Chaser starts his career, he needs to upgrade enough to compete In the big races. Sadly, National Hunt as In the race I posted prior has It's casualty's. Only the toughest make It as they need jumping skill, as well as speed and stamina for rces are usually over 3 miles, a few 4 miles.

Sometimes a horse will get really pissed when he loses. Watch short video of Angry horse vs Irish Raptor. That was one very unhappy horse :yh_rotfl

Angry Horse Vs Irish Raptor - YouTube

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”