did your pet 'know before you?'

Discussions about your pets!
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Today, 23 of August, 2011 an earth quake of 5.8 shook the earth (specifically the East Coast of the US) and all the fleas upon it. This event jolted millions of people from Georgia to Canada. I would like to know if your dog, cat, canary; any pet you have felt it before us humans did? Silly question...no. I have researched this and animal are often aware of the earth's shake-ups well before us humans.

This is an informal study. Was your pet acting differently minutes, half hour, hours prior to the quake and if so how?

Thank you for your response.

And if you are a viewer here at FG and would like to reply to this study, please join. We would luv to hear from you.

Lady J
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Lady J;1366917 wrote: Today, 23 of August, 2011 an earth quake of 5.8 shook the earth (specifically the East Coast of the US) and all the fleas upon it. This event jolted millions of people from Georgia to Canada. I would like to know if your dog, cat, canary; any pet you have felt it before us humans did? Silly question...no. I have researched this and animal are often aware of the earth's shake-ups well before us humans.

This is an informal study. Was your pet acting differently minutes, half hour, hours prior to the quake and if so how?

Thank you for your response.

And if you are a viewer here at FG and would like to reply to this study, please join. We would luv to hear from you.

Lady J

Hi Lady J,

What an Interesting question and thread?

I'm afraid I can not say as I am In England but this Is something I am fascinated with.

I watched a fascinating documentary about how China uses snake farms to pre-warn them of earthquakes.

China uses snake-based earthquake prediction system

Animals & Earthquake Prediction
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I believe I noticed one of my dogs pick up his head just prior to me becoming aware of the shaking while the other dog remained still and looked at him. My guess is that since he was lying in the floor and I was in my heavily cushioned easy-chair he most likely felt the shaking happen before me. After everything had settled down, both dogs now standing, walked over to me.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

We had earth tremors back in the 90's. I recall one of them specifically because of the two dogs I owned at the time. Both started acting oddly at least ten minutes before we worked out what it was they were reacting to. Both paced the floor barking and whining causing me to think someone must be approaching the house, no one was about and I remember shouting at the dogs several times to leave whatever it was they were barking at. Then I started to feel the tremors, the dogs had quietened down from their barking as they'd been asked repeatedly to do so, they continued to whine the whole time though and for some time after. Those dogs felt more than I did that's for sure.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Animals usually always can feel the quakes before us. In the 71' Sylmar quake, when my little canary dropped to the bottom of the cage before 6 in the morning, I knew that was one smart bird and that the quake was coming too.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Betty Boop;1366970 wrote: We had earth tremors back in the 90's. I recall one of them specifically because of the two dogs I owned at the time. Both started acting oddly at least ten minutes before we worked out what it was they were reacting to. Both paced the floor barking and whining causing me to think someone must be approaching the house, no one was about and I remember shouting at the dogs several times to leave whatever it was they were barking at. Then I started to feel the tremors, the dogs had quietened down from their barking as they'd been asked repeatedly to do so, they continued to whine the whole time though and for some time after. Those dogs felt more than I did that's for sure.

Ms. Boop I have found dogs to be quite intelligent not to mention they are great companions. In my study and research I have found that quite often dogs have demonstrated a greater alert to quakes.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

chonsigirl;1367009 wrote: Animals usually always can feel the quakes before us. In the 71' Sylmar quake, when my little canary dropped to the bottom of the cage before 6 in the morning, I knew that was one smart bird and that the quake was coming too.

Chonsigirl I am sorry to hear that. oddly enuf another friend told me that when she lived in Mexico and had a number of canaries as pets prior to an earth quake hitting they all went silent.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

You may find this interesting!

National Zoo Animals React to the Earthquake - National Zoo| FONZ

Lady J

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”