Should Alcohol be banned ?

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I joined a campaign a few years ago to:

Jail drunk drivers for 5 years regardless of Injury or loss of life.

Ban all alcohol advertising.

Raise the legal drink limit In the UK to 21 years old.

Ban all supermarkets from selling alcohol

Reverse the 24 hour drinking licenses In the UK.

If I had my way, alcohol would be a grade C substance In the UK.

What are your opinions?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I say "NO" Oscar. People need to control their own actions and do things in moderation.

Even if all drugs were banned, that doesn't mean people would behave.

I'm sick of the government butting into my business!
Oscar Namechange

Kathy Ellen;1366450 wrote: I say "NO" Oscar. People need to control their own actions and do things in moderation.

Even if all drugs were banned, that doesn't mean people would behave.

I'm sick of the government butting into my business! I haven't really gone Into the stats for the US Kathy but binge drinking In the UK Is a serious problem.

BBC NEWS | Health | Binge drinking costing billions

Thank You for an honest opinion though.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lon

Post by Lon »

oscar;1366447 wrote: I joined a campaign a few years ago to:

What are your opinions?

A five year sentence is totally disproportionate to other sentencing for things like theft, assault, rape, narcotics, etc. and banning the sale of alcohol in super markets and doing away with advertising would only create more of a desire for the product and like PROHIBITION in the U.S. result in a BLACK MARKET.There is no advertising for illegal drugs and it has not stopped it's use. Age limits will not work either. My solution? Taking away DRIVER'S LICENSE for two years on very first offense and if there is a repeat offense after two years take away for 5 years.
spot

Post by spot »

Lon's recollections of the consequences of Prohibition in the US ought to be an indication of why it's such a completely bad idea. The criminality it fuelled eighty years ago are still reverberating through American society, still killing people and still generating far more damage than abusing alcohol ever did.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1366461 wrote: A five year sentence is totally disproportionate to other sentencing for things like theft, assault, rape, narcotics, etc. and banning the sale of alcohol in super markets and doing away with advertising would only create more of a desire for the product and like PROHIBITION in the U.S. result in a BLACK MARKET.There is no advertising for illegal drugs and it has not stopped it's use. Age limits will not work either. My solution? Taking away DRIVER'S LICENSE for two years on very first offense and if there is a repeat offense after two years take away for 5 years. Why would an ensuing black market be any different to a narcotics black market?
Lon

Post by Lon »

oscar;1366470 wrote: Why would an ensuing black market be any different to a narcotics black market?

It wouldn't, and that's my point. A Black Market does not solve the problem.
Oscar Namechange

Lon;1366477 wrote: It wouldn't, and that's my point. A Black Market does not solve the problem. The ensuing casualties of a black market may out-weigh the casualties of medical related problems to abusers, cost to the NHS, deaths on the roads, alcohol related violence etc etc.
spot

Post by spot »

If a product is illegal to supply for recreational use then the only people it can be bought from are by definition criminals.

It's why I would prefer to see all products which are currently illegal to supply for recreational use to be legally sold under the same terms as alcohol or tobacco, with similar tax revenue to the country and profit to the retailer.

The huge overwhelming advantage is that all the existing criminals who supply the demand will lose their customer base. The core products funding estate gangs are simply irreplaceable.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366481 wrote: If a product is illegal to supply for recreational use then the only people it can be bought from are by definition criminals.

It's why I would prefer to see all products which are currently illegal to supply for recreational use to be legally sold under the same terms as alcohol or tobacco, with similar tax revenue to the country and profit to the retailer.

The huge overwhelming advantage is that all the existing criminals who supply the demand will lose their customer base. The core products funding estate gangs are simply irreplaceable.
The you ultimately end up with the beast that has been created under the laxing of alcohol regulations. Over-Indulgence, over-doses, spiraling cost to the NhS, deaths on the road from drugged drivers, advertising companies making profit from the misery of addcition, early deaths, ending In 14 year olds buying crack In supermarkets thanks to some bozo checkout operator not checking ID.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1366482 wrote: The you ultimately end up with the beast that has been created under the laxing of alcohol regulations. Over-Indulgence, over-doses, spiraling cost to the NhS, deaths on the road from drugged drivers, advertising companies making profit from the misery of addcition, early deaths, ending In 14 year olds buying crack In supermarkets thanks to some bozo checkout operator not checking ID.
I mind none of that in comparison to the existing criminality. You take your pick when it comes to what's important in this life.
spot

Post by spot »

On the matter of quality, retailers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity.

I suggest overdosing would reduce because variability would cease to exist. Overdosing regularly happens when fresh uncut material goes onto the streets in the UK. Illegally distilled wood-alcohol blinds dozens where such stills are prevalent (Russia and India, for example). French illegally-grown tobacco has heavy metal content dozens of times higher than legal limits on commercial tobacco.

Advertising revenue on tobacco is vastly down on earlier levels due to legislation against advertising - by all means apply that to alcohol too, and to all legalized narcotics should that occur.

Nobody in their right mind buys crack when alternative narcotics are readily available. Putting those alternatives into newsagent shops would end crack consumption within months.

The propaganda of "addiction" needs to be both researched and clarified. Recreational drug use is no more addictive than alcohol or tobacco use. Some people find some of these things addictive - some people may even be hypersensitive and addicted easily. It's just as true that some people never feel an addiction at all and can start or stop whenever they choose to.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366483 wrote: I mind none of that in comparison to the existing criminality. You take your pick when it comes to what's important in this life. Then explain how you could possibly conceive that making grade A narcotics readily available to some-one who may have shyed away from Indulging up to legalisation Is going to be more beneficial than the cost to our country and human life?

The relaxation to the alcohol regulations, the 24 hour drinking licenses, the supermarkets forcing local pubs to shut down and the Increasing burden on our police, emergency services, NHS along with the criminality of violence whilst under the Influence has proved to have been a social experiment that has gone horribly wrong. What makes you think de-criminalising narcotics Is going to be any different?

Besides which at least with alcohol there are regulations In which brewry's have to adhere to. Who Is going to monitor the Ingrediants of narcotics. Who are they going to use as suppliers? The war torn ME who will use the revenue to arm themselves further?
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366487 wrote: On the matter of quality, retailers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity.

I suggest overdosing would reduce because variability would cease to exist. Overdosing regularly happens when fresh uncut material goes onto the streets in the UK. Illegally distilled wood-alcohol blinds dozens where such stills are prevalent (Russia and India, for example). French illegally-grown tobacco has heavy metal content dozens of times higher than legal limits on commercial tobacco.

Advertising revenue on tobacco is vastly down on earlier levels due to legislation against advertising - by all means apply that to alcohol too, and to all legalized narcotics should that occur.

Nobody in their right mind buys crack when alternative narcotics are readily available. Putting those alternatives into newsagent shops would end crack consumption within months. Alcohol suppliers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity true but that does not stop addiction which leads to consuming more and ultimately an early death.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1366491 wrote: Alcohol suppliers are obliged to provide goods of consistent strength and purity true but that does not stop addiction which leads to consuming more and ultimately an early death.

I refer you back to the problems of prohibition, which you've not addressed at all. Some things are more important than others. By all means educate against abuse.

My impression is that the majority of deaths from illegal recreational drugs stem directly from impurity and unpredictable strength.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366493 wrote: I refer you back to the problems of prohibition, which you've not addressed at all. Some things are more important than others. By all means educate against abuse.

My impression is that the majority of deaths from illegal recreational drugs stem directly from impurity and unpredictable strength. The I must refer you back to the questions I asked In my previosu post which you have not addressed at all but were on topic with your former post.

Legalising narcotics of a purity standard does not stop the user buying more quantities, becoming addicted, over-dosing or meeting an early death due to failing organs. In fact, the availability could turn an occassional user Into an addict.

As for monitering the purity, how long exactly do you think It would be before a dealer on some sink estate has bought a varied supply of narcotics, cut them together for re-sale?
spot

Post by spot »

If you'd like to use the two-posts-each format of Westcliff Rules to put your argument and counter-argument then I'd be delighted. Participating in yet one more interminable thread where who's left standing wins doesn't interest me. I keep telling you I'd like to find core areas of agreement but you're permanently focused on beating whoever posts near you.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366497 wrote: If you'd like to use the two-posts-each format of Westcliff Rules to put your argument and counter-argument then I'd be delighted. Participating in yet one more interminable thread where who's left standing wins doesn't interest me. I keep telling you I'd like to find core areas of agreement but you're permanently focused on beating whoever posts near you.
And there It seems we have It In a nutshell.

You have made a post that stated narcotics should be de-criminalised .

I put forward reasonable counter questions to you.

Rather than answer the questions which are perfectly reasonable In the context of the thread and your posts and post some verifiable evidence to support your claim, you would rather misinterpret the posts as 'Who's left standing'

I would have more respect for anyone who could just say they could not offer verifiable evidence to support their opinion.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1366501 wrote: I would have more respect for anyone who could just say they could not offer verifiable evidence to support their opinion.
I'm not going to reduce the quality of the report I linked to. It's 179 pages long and it's all relevant. That's why I linked to it.

It's the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee Drug classification: making a hash of it? - Fifth Report of Session 2005–06.

It consists of nothing but verified evidence and consequent discussion. The position I've put in this thread is consistent with its contents. And yes, I did read the report.

eta: we appear to be in a different thread to the one I posted the link in a couple of days ago.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1366515 wrote: I'm not going to reduce the quality of the report I linked to. It's 179 pages long and it's all relevant. That's why I linked to it.

It's the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee "Drug classification: making a hash of it?" - Fifth Report of Session 2005–06.

It consists of nothing but verified evidence and consequent discussion. The position I've put in this thread is consistent with its contents. And yes, I did read the report.

I did not dismiss It. I will look more thoroughly at It,
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I wish there were easy answers to the alcohol problem.

I have dealt with it at so many levels over my time on Earth.

I have decided that I don't care about those drinkers that will destroy their lives, as long ans their behavior does not threaten others.

When they take the wheel of a car or truck while drinking, then I draw the line.

I have cleaned up far too many accidents involving drunks, and been to too many funerals of friends and family killed by drunk drivers.

One item of interest, Statistics show that 90% of deaths caused by drunk drivers are caused by people who have had more than 3 drinking related offenses while driving. Many are driving while their license has been suspended or revoked.

I offer the following penalties for drunk driving

1st offense - 6 month Suspension of license except for transportation to and from place of employment, attendance in a counseling center, and 6 months community service.

2nd offense- 6 months to 1 year jail, Loss of driving privileges for 1 - 3 years (Beginning at release from jail), $1000 fine.

3rd offense - Summary firing squad at the site of the violation.

4th offense - N/A there will be no 4th offense.

Seriously, history shows that Prohibition, or "the War on Drugs" will not solve the problem.

Education might help a bit, and some folks will eventually climb out of the holes they dig for themselves.

The rest are probably lost causes.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

LarsMac;1366611 wrote: I wish there were easy answers to the alcohol problem.

I have dealt with it at so many levels over my time on Earth.

I have decided that I don't care about those drinkers that will destroy their lives, as long ans their behavior does not threaten others.

When they take the wheel of a car or truck while drinking, then I draw the line.

I have cleaned up far too many accidents involving drunks, and been to too many funerals of friends and family killed by drunk drivers.

One item of interest, Statistics show that 90% of deaths caused by drunk drivers are caused by people who have had more than 3 drinking related offenses while driving. Many are driving while their license has been suspended or revoked.

I offer the following penalties for drunk driving

1st offense - 6 month Suspension of license except for transportation to and from place of employment, attendance in a counseling center, and 6 months community service.

2nd offense- 6 months to 1 year jail, Loss of driving privileges for 1 - 3 years (Beginning at release from jail), $1000 fine.

3rd offense - Summary firing squad at the site of the violation.

4th offense - N/A there will be no 4th offense.

Seriously, history shows that Prohibition, or "the War on Drugs" will not solve the problem.

Education might help a bit, and some folks will eventually climb out of the holes they dig for themselves.

The rest are probably lost causes. Good post Thank you.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who get behind the wheel of the car knowing they have been drinking Is an arrogant potential murderer. Their vehicle becomes a weapon.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Taking away DRIVER'S LICENSE for two years on very first offense and if there is a repeat offense after two years take away for 5 years.

We have strict laws for DUIs here in Washington State one of them is losing your license. It simply doesn't work, if someone wants to drink and drive they will do it.

Maybe we need to ban alcohol and legalize marijuana? When you stay stoned all day you don't drink and drive. Alcohol is far more dangerous than weed.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

gmc

Post by gmc »

Binge drinking is a cultural thing, the use of alcohol is very different in france and italy from what it is in the UK and scandanavian countries. Maybe it's to do with dark nights and cold climates, on the other hand the romans were appalled at rthe drunkenness of the celts and made much comment on it so maybe it's our tribal heritage. There are all sorts of reasons why we are drunkards. Prohibition doesn't work as the american experience shows and they are still paying the price for that particular attempt at social engineering - One of the early achievements of the chrisrtian right in america.

Posted by Oscar

The ensuing casualties of a black market may out-weigh the casualties of medical related problems to abusers, cost to the NHS, deaths on the roads, alcohol related violence etc etc.

Apart from the rise in organised crime and criminals becoming heroes to a population that found themselves criminalised for doing something they didn't view as being wrong if they were found with alcohol on them there was also a rise in alcohol related death and injury, blindness etc, - the harm badly made or doctored alcohol can do is far worse than the stuff we can buy legally. A lot of people died, had barin injuries or went blind during prohibition from drinking bootleg liquor.

I remember 10 o'clock closing times with people knocking back two or three drinks before the pubs close and then rolling out pissed out of their brains, that practice is another one of the reasons binge drinking became so prevalent. We still do it, all the pubs empty at the same time causing chaos wagging your finger and saying bad boy don't do that doesn't work nor would banning it. It's also a major industry - making millions unemployed is never a good idea.

Personally I think we are too soft on drunk drivers, at least the culture has changed so it's less acceptable but you are sober when you have the first drink you shouldn't take the car with you if you are going to drink. I would ban them every time. I have no sympathy for someone that bleats they need the licence for work - so do I don't drink and drive, I know people that have been done a couple of times I would ban those ones for life. It doesn't help when you have celebrities on the interview circuit telling how they got over their struggles with alcohol and drugs and are portrayed as people wh9 have come through a dark time in their lives, perhaps they have but many do and don't become alcoholics- they should be seen as the pathetic self destructive individuals they really are. Yes I do know it is a drug and is addictive for some people, so is nicotine and chocolate and I have no sympathy for smokers a=or spotty fat people either.

It is a cultural thing, I've never been a heavy drinker and getting blotto is not my idea of fun but the pressure to drink is enormous from people who see drinking as part of a good night out. Prohibition won't work it's a stupid idea as is raising the age to 21, it's right up there with those who believe banning the sale of contraceptives will stop people having sex while still teenagers.

Why anyone would think it is a good idea completely escapes me.

If you want to win a war destroy the economic strength of your enemy - legalising drugs would bankrupt the criminal fraternity overnight and the tax revenue raised would go a long way to finance rehabilitation and education programmes and improve the health of the nation. I've never taken drugs, not that I wasn't in the kind of environment or didn't have the opportunity to get hold of them I knew enough not to experiment, peer pressure is a tremendous thing. We tend to portray taking drugs as somehow cool.
Oscar Namechange

gmc ... We still do it, all the pubs empty at the same time causing chaos

Please excuse me from your 'we'.

I have every sympathy for an alcoholic and a drug addict because It Is an addiction which Is an Illness.

I abhor all alcohol and narcotics Including skunk and weed. I do not go into pubs, I do not drink at home, avoid night clubs like the plague and socially, I am pleased most venue's sell coffee these days. When I am out socially and I order a coffee whilst friends are getting the beers In, I have even been asked before If I am a recovering alcoholic because to drink alcohol seems to be the norm socially. Then I ask them weather they want that pint of beer or need It? I'm usually met with a blank expression.

I do have a Baileys Irish cream at Christmas and maybe a couple of red wines with my Christmas dinner but that's It. I have no desire to drink alcohol or take drugs. I do not like being In the company of people on drugs or drunk either.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

As a casual drinker who may or may not have partaken in a little weed (but didn't inhale) there is a lot of sense in what gmc and Spot says.

There is no major problems with sensible drinking or smoking of weed.

The problem is when it becomes a way of life.

@ oscar........hows the smoking going ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1366681 wrote:

@ oscar........hows the smoking going ?

I did really well and stopped completely for about 7 months. I started again foolishly and am now In the process of stopping again.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I gave up for a whole year, then fell back into it.....does me far more damage than the odd bottle of wine or occasional whisky
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1366686 wrote: I gave up for a whole year, then fell back into it.....does me far more damage than the odd bottle of wine or occasional whisky

Keep trying Bruv as there Is no shame In a relapse.

I started smoking very young, In fact I can remember the very first packet I ever bought on my way to school. 10 number 10 and a book of matches.. 1 shilling and 11 old pence.

If I got very desperate, It was 5 Parkdrive at a Shilling.

Back then, our screen Idols were smoking, advertising was everywhere and there was peer pressure that unfortunately, I fell Into. My entire family are non smokers.

I would have no problem with tobacco being made Illegal. I doubt If I would have the desire to hang around some sink estate trying to buy It on the black market.

At least smokers don't get In their cars and mow down some-one's family.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I used to commute into London choosing to ride in a smoking carriage, before becoming a smoker, then went on to Gold Leaf.....I think. And have gone from strength to strength, Senior Service, Players, Gauloise to look cool for a time, now a hand roller of Old Holborn. As a social cost, and without really knowing I would suspect smoking is up there with all the other vices, drug taking, and alcohol.

If smoking had just been invented, it would be banned.

At least smokers don't get In their cars and mow down some-one's family.
They don't have to drive to kill, but smokers should consider their own suicidal habit harmful to anyone in their vicinity, during and after smoking.
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1366693 wrote:

They don't have to drive to kill, but smokers should consider their own suicidal habit harmful to anyone in their vicinity, during and after smoking.
I totally agree with you.

I don't smoke In the house, car or anywhere near my husband.

I never and never have lit up near children or babies.

I do not ever ask my family If I can smoke In their homes or cars.

I do not smoke when preparing food.

I have reason to believe that I have always been very considerate In that area.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

oscar;1366447 wrote: I joined a campaign a few years ago to:

Oscar, your sentiments are straight on... and completely impossible to enforce. We tried it in America in the 1920s. We called it "Prohibition." It was a TOTAL failure. The reason why is because it is easy to make anywhere, and if there is a demand, there will always be those who will supply it. Especially if the price rises due to limited availability. (See: America's War on Drugs) Eventually gangsters were having gang wars in the street, our entire political, judicial, and law system was corrupted and everyday citizens were being jailed.(The jail time alone would overload your prison system in months.) People still drank just as much if not more (making it illegal appeals to the "forbidden fruit" urge). They just went underground into secret rooms and 'Speakeasies." Worse yet, many people suffered ill health effects and even blindness from poorly made, uncontrolled product.

This is a needed source of revenue for all kinds of magazines and papers. Although I agree that the advertising needs to be strictly monitored for target audience.

This works...do that. We did it over here and it is already helping. You'll also have to make it a crime to sell or buy for minors, or they'll still get it anyway.

Fact is, most drunk drivers buy alcohol as close as possible to where they are. making them drive drunk further is a bad idea.

Our bars all close at 1:00 am, as do alcohol sales. That does help.

What are your opinions?

Alcohol has been with mankind since the first caveman accidentally ate a fermented peach. Even will all it's ill effects it can NEVER be gotten rid of. The only POSSIBLE solution is that the government come up with a substitute that has all the positive effects of euphoria, inhibition release, and memory suppression that wears off instantly when needed and has no side effects. :thinking:

I'll bet that is medically impossible so we are stuck with alcohol for all time. It's best to just tax it and control it. :-3

Personally, I'd like to see cars that can drive themselves and that's VERY possible in the future. That would solve one portion of that problem.:rolleyes:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I'll add this: Life is short and risky. People will always do things that they know are bad for them and making it against the law won't help. Smoking, drinking too much, eating bad food, not exercising...it doesn't matter. It's their life and they'll live it or throw it away as they please.

And maybe that's the way it should be.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1366698 wrote: I'll add this: Life is short and risky. People will always do things that they know are bad for them and making it against the law won't help. Smoking, drinking too much, eating bad food, not exercising...it doesn't matter. It's their life and they'll live it or throw it away as they please.

And maybe that's the way it should be.

I am OK with that. As long as they aren't throwing anyone else' life away in the bargain.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1366703 wrote: I am OK with that. As long as they aren't throwing anyone else' life away in the bargain.And therein lies the question: should we begin to spay and neuter certain humans under certain circumstances? And please don't ask me what circumstances that would be coz I just don't know. But, if we're not going to allow for natural selection, we might as well get to the business of figuring out the criteria for 'preferred' selection.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1366706 wrote: And therein lies the question: should we begin to spay and neuter certain humans under certain circumstances? And please don't ask me what circumstances that would be coz I just don't know. But, if we're not going to allow for natural selection, we might as well get to the business of figuring out the criteria for 'preferred' selection.

It's called Eugenics. It was quite a popular notion before the concentration camps of the Third Reich grew out of it.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Quiet! Don't be a joy-killer!

We can remain clear of implementing the concentration camps and just let people die off humanly. Something's Coming!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by ahso

We can remain clear of implementing the concentration camps and just let people die off humanly. Something's Coming!

I see you are already doing that, and you get people stirred up against those who want to change things for the better.

Study links 45,000 U.S. deaths to lack of insurance | Reuters

We're losing more Americans every day because of inaction ... than drunk driving and homicide combined," Dr. David Himmelstein, a co-author of the study and an associate professor of medicine at Harvard, said in an interview with Reuters.

Let's hope it's a flu pandemic, that should take out the aged and the weak.

posted by spot

It's called Eugenics. It was quite a popular notion before the concentration camps of the Third Reich grew out of it.

The most successful eugenics programme was that if Sweden. Socialist paradise that is has since become, they continued until the 1970's The US continued, in some states, with their programmes up until the 1960's as well as conducting medical experiments on sections of their population without their knowledge and consent. Winston Churchill wanted to forcibly sterilise those judged to be feeble minded.

Beware of those who think they know what is best for society and especially those who think human rights an inconvenience that can be cast aside when it suits. Personally I would sterilise all old Etonians now in government but it may be too late to save us from them.

David Cameron to give Pakistan £650m to spend on education | Mail Online

Not my favourite paper but I do think they have a point with that one.
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1366714 wrote: Quiet! Don't be a joy-killer!Ah, those were the days... Aufhören zu reden! Die untauglich beendet wird!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It wasn't immoral to permit people to die prior to medical advances, was it? So did the morality materialize due to the advent of medical knowledge? It's natural to advance the survival of the species, thus medical advancement, but where does the morality fit in?

Dying is just as necessary as living.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1366720 wrote: Ah, those were the days... Aufhören zu reden! Die untauglich beendet wird!You speak German too? How many languages are you fluent in? None in my case.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

LarsMac;1366703 wrote: I am OK with that. As long as they aren't throwing anyone else' life away in the bargain.

Good point, that's why I'm all for computer controlled cars. What we really need is an "alcohol neutralizer" pill. You take it and it quickly chemically neutralizes all the alcohol in your system. Drink all night, pop one, wait ten minutes and drive home sober with no hangover tomorrow!
gmc

Post by gmc »

Ahso!;1366724 wrote: You speak German too? How many languages are you fluent in? None in my case.

Apart from the occasional spelling mistake your English seems to be OK.
Oscar Namechange

Saint_;1366697 wrote: Oscar, your sentiments are straight on... and completely impossible to enforce. We tried it in America in the 1920s. We called it "Prohibition." It was a TOTAL failure. The reason why is because it is easy to make anywhere, and if there is a demand, there will always be those who will supply it. Especially if the price rises due to limited availability. (See: America's War on Drugs) Eventually gangsters were having gang wars in the street, our entire political, judicial, and law system was corrupted and everyday citizens were being jailed.(The jail time alone would overload your prison system in months.) People still drank just as much if not more (making it illegal appeals to the "forbidden fruit" urge). They just went underground into secret rooms and 'Speakeasies." Worse yet, many people suffered ill health effects and even blindness from poorly made, uncontrolled product.

This is a needed source of revenue for all kinds of magazines and papers. Although I agree that the advertising needs to be strictly monitored for target audience.

This works...do that. We did it over here and it is already helping. You'll also have to make it a crime to sell or buy for minors, or they'll still get it anyway.

Fact is, most drunk drivers buy alcohol as close as possible to where they are. making them drive drunk further is a bad idea.

Our bars all close at 1:00 am, as do alcohol sales. That does help.

Alcohol has been with mankind since the first caveman accidentally ate a fermented peach. Even will all it's ill effects it can NEVER be gotten rid of. The only POSSIBLE solution is that the government come up with a substitute that has all the positive effects of euphoria, inhibition release, and memory suppression that wears off instantly when needed and has no side effects. :thinking:

I'll bet that is medically impossible so we are stuck with alcohol for all time. It's best to just tax it and control it. :-3

Personally, I'd like to see cars that can drive themselves and that's VERY possible in the future. That would solve one portion of that problem.:rolleyes: Great post Saint

The truth Is this country would never see a ban on alcohol period but I believe raising the drink age to 21 and reversing the 24 hour drinking licenses will go a long way to helping.

I think Ministers had this Idea of a wonderful continental feel to the UK when they agreed 24 hour drinking. I think they had visions of quaint little pavement cafes of folks sipping the occassional red wine with their meal but Instead we got a Nation of binge drinkers attacking our police and making city centre's a no go zone after 11 pm,

Return to “Drugs, Alcohol Tobacco”