Do you book online?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
flopstock

Do you book online?

Post by flopstock »

I'm flying into DC next week and really only decided against driving yesterday.

I went online to book and my best price I could find was 208 - if I was willing to spend the day in airports and begin that day before 7. Then I'd need to get a car for the week anyways 244 economy. Plus taxes...blah blah blah.. ending up over 500

So, I just about talked myself out of flying again when Captain Kirk popped up on the TV set in front of me... I figure what the hell, give it a shot.

267.60 with a standard auto rather then economy class - non stop flight at noon...OMG!

Why have none of you told me about this before? Is it a fluke? am I going to get there and find out the passengers are expected to peddle the whole trip?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Do you book online?

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl Lol we don't want to miss out on the deals so we tell no one. :sneaky:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Do you book online?

Post by chonsigirl »

Never tried it, by do use airfarewatchdog for cheap flights. I book online all the time, Tue. and Wed. the rates are cheaper.
flopstock

Do you book online?

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1319307 wrote: Never tried it, by do use airfarewatchdog for cheap flights. I book online all the time, Tue. and Wed. the rates are cheaper.

never hear of them until right this minute. I'm gonna have to try it now to see if i could have saved more..:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Patsy Warnick

Do you book online?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Flop

Check Expedia

My husband was just looking at WA D.C.

and yes, We always book on-line. Well, he does..:wah:

Patsy
ZAP

Do you book online?

Post by ZAP »

I always book on line. I use Southwest a lot and I now have a credit card with them. I'm eliminating my American card because of all their tack ons and it's too hard to get good flights anymore.
Lon

Do you book online?

Post by Lon »

Booking on line is the only way to go and beats talking to someone in India. I book domestic and international flights online and print out boarding passes, tickets etc. Same with car rentals and hotels when needed.
Kathy Ellen

Do you book online?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Yes Floppy, I book all of my flights, cars and hotels on line. It's so easy to do.

I even ordered a washer/dryer and air conditioners on line from Sears:wah:
AussiePam

Do you book online?

Post by AussiePam »

Yes, I book everything on line: - flights, accommodation, walking trips etc. As others have said, you can often get awesome, last minute deals.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Accountable

Do you book online?

Post by Accountable »

My beloved studies the online deals for months at a time, then when the prices start going up decides to skip the trip entirely & moans for days about the deals she passed up. :wah:

Is there one online service that is better than others?
flopstock

Do you book online?

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1319368 wrote: My beloved studies the online deals for months at a time, then when the prices start going up decides to skip the trip entirely & moans for days about the deals she passed up. :wah:

Is there one online service that is better than others?

This is what what floored me!;).

I looked at booking through the airline site because my son thought united would be cheapest because it has a hub there. then I tried other airlines. then I tried the orbitz site and got what seemed like my best deal and just about gave up - went out to make sure I had the TV set to record little-ones show while she's gone and Kirk popped up on the priceline commercial.

You really can pick a price. :yh_danceYou have to accept whatever they get for you and you have to be willing to fly whenever they can get you within a time window and the car is from whatever they can get you -

swear to god, got upgraded on the car and got a midday flight instead of dead of night like I was afraid and walked away at half the price. I still can't believe it.

I'm going to check out the one chonsi mentioned for next time, but crimony! What other places have I been missing?:yh_rotfl

chonsigirl

Do you book online?

Post by chonsigirl »

I just rented my car off of priceline-for $23/day. The regular price was $70/day. It works, doesn't it, Floppy!

Now I can cruise to the beach when I'm there. :)
Lon

Do you book online?

Post by Lon »

This has been a busy online booking day. Just booked a cruise for next year 05/17/2011 to take advantage of big discounts for early booking plus alumni status. Also purchased Trip Cancellation Insurance. Later this year-international flights will be booked, car rental and train travel in Portugal.
LarsMac

Do you book online?

Post by LarsMac »

I am required to use the agency my company is contracted to when booking for business.

When booking personal travel, I go direct to the hotels, Auto Rentals and Airlines, and use the award travel that I have earned traveling for work.

I did use Expedia and Hotels.com a couple of times, a few years ago, and they did get me some good deals.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Do you book online?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Lon;1320807 wrote: This has been a busy online booking day. Just booked a cruise for next year 05/17/2011 to take advantage of big discounts for early booking plus alumni status. Also purchased Trip Cancellation Insurance. Later this year-international flights will be booked, car rental and train travel in Portugal.

My family and I took a fabulous trip to Portugal about 10 years ago. It was one of the best trips of my life....loved every second of our stay there...although it was sometimes difficult to converse with some people.

We visited Lisbon, Cascais, Estoril and then took the train from Lisbon to the Algarve to Faro, and a gorgeous golf resort on the beach in Albufeira.

Before heading home we drove through the south of Spain and took a hydrofoil across to Tangiers.

I booked the train from Lisbon to the Algarve....go only 1st class, the other cars on the train are packed:(
flopstock

Do you book online?

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1320805 wrote: I just rented my car off of priceline-for $23/day. The regular price was $70/day. It works, doesn't it, Floppy!

Now I can cruise to the beach when I'm there. :)

When I got to the airport they were out of my standard size so i got upgraded again for free..!

biggirls

Do you book online?

Post by biggirls »

i did it , awesome
Clodhopper

Do you book online?

Post by Clodhopper »

Just booked tickets for the Hampton Court Beer and Jazz Festival, which happens over the August Bank Holiday weekend. Anyone know the Preservation Hall Jazz Band from New Orleans? They are coming over to play. And a mate of mine has just got us tickets to see the Cowboy Junkies in November. :)

Think most ticket sales are online these days.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
mikeinie

Do you book online?

Post by mikeinie »

Ya, I book, check in, and print my own boarding passes on line.
droby

Do you book online?

Post by droby »

I'd always recommend to check prices online. I usually book directly at the airlines site, aswell as the rental car, but someitmes third party online booking sites have some good offers, it does require some research however....I would also recommend for those who fly frequently to get on the airlines beneft program, you know where you gather miles or other points of sorts which you can then exchange for a free flight and whatnot if you have enough points.
chonsigirl

Do you book online?

Post by chonsigirl »

I cannot remember which airline now, but they will charge you $25 for making reservations by phone and not online.

Excessive ways to make extra money now for airlines. I usually have chosen SouthWest, but their fares for peak periods are outrageous now, and I paid a fortune to reserve my 1 1/2 day trip after Christmas, the highest plane ticket I have ever paid for.
BaghdadBob

Do you book online?

Post by BaghdadBob »

I fly often for business and book 100% on-line.

For flying, book on the weekends and fly on Tues/Wed/Sat for best prices.

For hotels, use Hotwire or Priceline. With the help of a couple of websites and some elementary deduction, you can figure out the hotels before booking. My next trip is booked into a 4-star hotel for $70 in a convenient location.

For rental cars? Best to book directly with the rental co. and, if at all possible, pick-up your car off of the airport even if it means taking a taxi. I've saved over a hunert bux for a 1 wk rental with a $25 cab ride and was able to return the car to the airport location. Speaking of cabs, many cities have palatable cab rates and rental cars aren't necessary if your moving about can be limited. Also, because I do travel often, I have a corp account with a rental car co. that saves me from 5-25% on the 'best prices' listed elsewhere.

If you travel often, do sign up for 'frequent user' programs. It does make a difference over time.
minks

Do you book online?

Post by minks »

hotels.com

bookingbuddy.com

expedia.com

itravel2000.com

priceline.com (I think)

orbitz.com (I think)

there are many I use. (of course I use .ca for canada)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Cody Wellard

Do you book online?

Post by Cody Wellard »

Yes, also subscribe to different travel places for updates on the sales. Have got some great deals!

Cheers!

Cody Wellard

Return to “Travel Vacation”