What did you learn today?

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Maristar87;1356950 wrote: I learned that I'm really ahead of both myself and most people. I put in about fifteen applications a week or so ago and I'm just starting to get people calling me up for interviews. I honestly thought that nobody wanted me. The same thing has happened with college, I was way ahead of my professors and advisors.

I've also learned that when stressed, I see spots, retain water and have blood-pressure problems. Yikes..

On a more positive note, I think I've learned what I want out of life and a job. I want something that doesn't have a lot of math involved with it, that'll be a somewhat easy to obtain degree-wise, socially respectful, has a lot of job opportunities, and can support a family. So, I've picked communications. I'd much rather be a doctor or work with animals but time and health is a factor. I'm also working with a group of individuals whom share my rare genetic disorder, so I'm making progress and a bit of a difference, somehow. Unfortunately, a side-effect of said disorder is brain damage, and I'm blessed to be one of the very few that is able to effectively communicate or take care of themselves (employment, health-care, school...etc) but it is really disheartening and frustrating.

I've also realized that I'm turning into my father, and I'm somewhat comfortable with that.

It's very stressful indeed looking for work, being ill is difficult and yet somehow we manage, your doing fabulous, be proud of yourself instead of putting yourself down.
Life is just to short for drama.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Kids don't alway believe what their parents tell them. My dog is a certified service dog. He has the ID and vest. I have progressive peripheral neuropathy, so I cannot always feel the bottom of my feet and tend to fall down a lot. Orson helps me get back on my feet and hands me my cane, among other things. Orson is a large German Shepherd dog.

Today, while stocking up at a grocery store, a parent told his kid that German Shepherds are trained to kill people that aren't the right color and are vicious. He told his kid that he should always be afraid of them. Instead, the child came over and hugged Orson and got a big lick on the face in response.

Which lesson is the child more likely to remember?
Dori79

Post by Dori79 »

I learned the difference between gravy and a demi-glaze is all in how you thicken it.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Wear my glasses next time I find myself in the position of having to manipulate 2400 lbs. of cow **** in the dark with a forklift.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Odie

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1358370 wrote: Wear my glasses next time I find myself in the position of having to manipulate 2400 lbs. of cow **** in the dark with a forklift.

think of the milk:wah:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Today was an interesting day for me. I asserted myself by attempting to be normal and I practiced socializing with another human being. I let the person know that I was in training and she was kind enough to entertain me. It went well I think. We discussed zoo animals and briefly touched on other topics. I asked questions, listened to the answers and followed up by inserting related thoughts. Not once did I go off on a tangent nor introduce thoughts that could cause the other to feel uncomfortable.

Stating that I was practicing socializing could be construed as odd but I like to just lay my cards on the table. Since it went so well today, tomorrow I may make the leap into more personal topics like her vagina or if she were going to kill someone what would her preferential method of committing murder be. Im accelerating the process by skipping all of the typical middle ground.
I AM AWESOME MAN
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

If tomorrow goes well, you probably should run.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I learned that after spending ten years at, or near sea level, it's a bad idea to try and hike to the top of Pike's Peak.

Need some time to acclimate.
- DH Lawrence
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

For office, my life???
I AM AWESOME MAN
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Nomad;1360637 wrote: For office, my life???

Your life.
- DH Lawrence
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Expect the worst. OK. Thank you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Scott Hetkowski

Post by Scott Hetkowski »

That raisins have a ridiculous amount of sugar in them.
[signature removed by moderator]
Odie

Post by Odie »

Scott Hetkowski;1360916 wrote: That raisins have a ridiculous amount of sugar in them.

they're a fruit Scott......all fruits are loaded with sugars.

Raisins are sweet due to their high concentration of sugars (about 30 g of fructose and 28 g of glucose in 100 g of raisins). The sugars can crystallize inside the fruit when stored after a long period, making the dry raisins gritty, but that does not affect their usability. These sugar grains can be dissolved by blanching the fruit in hot water or other liquids.

drives me nuts that some of the foods that are good for you are only in portion size.
Scott Hetkowski

Odie;1360917 wrote: they're a fruit Scott......all fruits are loaded with sugars.

Raisins are sweet due to their high concentration of sugars (about 30 g of fructose and 28 g of glucose in 100 g of raisins). The sugars can crystallize inside the fruit when stored after a long period, making the dry raisins gritty, but that does not affect their usability. These sugar grains can be dissolved by blanching the fruit in hot water or other liquids.

drives me nuts that some of the foods that are good for you are only in portion size.

Since it is natural sugar is it more feasible to eat than white sugar?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Scott Hetkowski;1360934 wrote: Since it is natural sugar is it more feasible to eat than white sugar?

Absolutely. Refined white sugar (Sucrose) is simple sugar with no actual nutritional value. Raisins will have some minerals and vitamins along with the ridiculous amount of sugar. Besides, raisin taste better.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Gas prices in Illinois and Indiana ridiculously high.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

Scott Hetkowski;1360934 wrote: Since it is natural sugar is it more feasible to eat than white sugar?

natural sugar is always better for you.

But it depends on how many raisins you have, for example a cup of raisins is 495 calories, a Big Mac is 540 calories...so raisins are extremely high in calories.....(then again raisins are better for you than a Big Mac of course).

carbohydrates in a cup of raisins are 44% which is considerably high, carbohydrates turn into sugar

which turns into fat.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1360939 wrote: natural sugar is always better for you.

But it depends on how many raisins you have, for example a cup of raisins is 495 calories, a Big Mac is 540 calories...so raisins are extremely high in calories.....(then again raisins are better for you than a Big Mac of course).

carbohydrates in a cup of raisins are 44% which is considerably high, carbohydrates turn into sugar

which turns into fat.

Better than the fats in a Big Mac which start as fat, stay as fat and get laid down in your body tissues as fat - at least carbs are turned into, and stored as, glycogen to provide energy to the body and only get turned into fat when there is more than the body can cope with.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1360976 wrote: Better than the fats in a Big Mac which start as fat, stay as fat and get laid down in your body tissues as fat - at least carbs are turned into, and stored as, glycogen to provide energy to the body and only get turned into fat when there is more than the body can cope with.

that's what I said, better than a Big Mac any-day and carbs yes, of course if you eat to much they turn into sugar which turns into fat.
Scott Hetkowski

LarsMac;1360937 wrote: Gas prices in Illinois and Indiana ridiculously high.

Same here, in Michigan.
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1360937 wrote: Gas prices in Illinois and Indiana ridiculously high.

ditto in Toronto to!
Anouk

Post by Anouk »

I learned today how to make a coconut cake :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

Anouk;1361727 wrote: I learned today how to make a coconut cake :)

I love coconut, your cake sounds yummy!

Return to “The Coffee Shop”