Can sectarianism be wiped out in Scottish football?

A forum to discuss local issues in Scotland.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Rangers and Celtic dominate Scottish football, their on field rivalry is marred by religious bigotry and sectarian violence.

Speaking at Holyrood following his re-election as first minister, Mr Salmond said modern Scotland was "built on equality".

He added: "We will not tolerate sectarianism as a parasite in our national game of football or anywhere else in this society."

No one in my village has any interest in football and the closest we see to sectarian violence is a bit of ribbing of the banjo players on folk club night, however i have lived in Glasgow and seen first hand what he's going on about.

If the Scottish government are not going to tolerate it, how are they going to tackle it?
gmc

Post by gmc »

Start by ending seperate scooling. When I was at primary school they build a catholic primary school. I remember asking some friends why they would be going to a different school and being told it was because they were catholic, at that point I didn't even know what that was. A few months later there were regular fights between groups from the schools and the two groups were prevented from playing with each other even during the holidays. As teenagers we didn't bother cos we thought it silly but as primary kids fighting the papes was part of what was learned as the thing to do. If they hadn't opened a seperate school none of us would have cared about what religion anyone was. It's the parents that cause it, you have to actively teach children to hate each other be it because of religion or race.

Iain Macwhirter Now and Then: Sectarianism: it starts in the home and is perpetuated in the classroom.

I don't think we should forget our history but there are bigots on both sides that want to prevent the ending of seperate schools for the sake of their religion regardless of the consequences for society.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I know it is insane.. you would think that by now people would just grow up.

but these thugs use any excuse for violence, if it was not this it would be something else.
gmc

Post by gmc »

mikeinie;1359820 wrote: I know it is insane.. you would think that by now people would just grow up.

but these thugs use any excuse for violence, if it was not this it would be something else.

tsk tsk you are not allowed to call anyone religious insane. There's two sides to it, on the one hand blind religious bigotry on the other you have religious leaders defending their faith and in so doing causing sectarianism. When you have a pope complainig that the UK is one of the most anti-catholic countries in europe you have to wonder what he misunderstood about the protestant reformation and then actively going on to try and persuade anglican priests to join the catholic one. To make speeches comparing the rise of a secular society to the rise of the nazis beggars belief. Hitler wasn't an atheist - he made it quite clear he believed he was doing god's work - and the pope at the time turned a blind eye to what was happening. trying to turn back the clock and rewrite history is not going to do anything to ease sectarianism. Trying to turn back the clock and rewrite history is not really terribly constructive.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm pretty sure I remember being told that Liverpool had a bad problem with sectarian violence back in the 1960s, I think. Not just in football either. If I've remembered right, one of the main things that was credited with solving the problem was the Anglican and Catholic bishops getting together, doing joint services in eachother's Cathedrals and preaching tolerance consistently. Don't know if something similar could be done in Glasgow?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Post by gmc »

Clodhopper;1360103 wrote: I'm pretty sure I remember being told that Liverpool had a bad problem with sectarian violence back in the 1960s, I think. Not just in football either. If I've remembered right, one of the main things that was credited with solving the problem was the Anglican and Catholic bishops getting together, doing joint services in eachother's Cathedrals and preaching tolerance consistently. Don't know if something similar could be done in Glasgow?

Not when you have both sides preaching that theirs is the one true faith and all others heresy and that their children must be kept apart. Most people are increasingly non-religious, that's why sectarianism is falling off. We allow institutionalised bogitry
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

gmc;1360105 wrote: We allow institutionalised bogitry

Does that mean you think religion is a heap of sh*!e ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1360108 wrote: Does that mean you think religion is a heap of sh*!e ?

And that my typing sucks.

Return to “Scotland”