Out Of Work

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
hoppy

Out Of Work

Post by hoppy »

More people will learn to be content with less. My dad told me that one Christmas, when he was a child, all he got was an orange. And that was from an uncle.

Dad always told me, "if you can't have what you want, want what you have".
Rapunzel

Out Of Work

Post by Rapunzel »

Christmas is always a hard time of year. I walked around the shops the other day and I suddenly realised that most of the stuff on sale was just total junk. People were rushing round just buying anything. Why? Who needs all this stuff? It's just stuff that will probably collect dust.

I think that so long as you can have a happy Christmas with the people you love and have a nice dinner, then what more do you need? A couple of presents for the kids and some sweeties for them too. You don't need all the excess food, the over-the-top presents or the relatives you never see during the year. You certainly don't need all the hassle and the expense.

Last year 2 boys in my class, brothers, were given 1 toy aeroplane to share, as their Christmas present. I felt so sorry for them although they were happy with it. Another child had practically the whole of Harrods toy shop bought for him! Life is unfair. Interestingly, as you may expect, the boys who shared the aeroplane were lovely caring children, whilst the boy who got everything is a little sh**! *sigh* His parents tried to bribe him to be good - it didn't work! :thinking: Giving your family your time and attention and enjoying their company and showing you appreciate them is worth far more than the crap you can buy in the shops.
Odie

Out Of Work

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1270323 wrote: Christmas is always a hard time of year. I walked around the shops the other day and I suddenly realised that most of the stuff on sale was just total junk. People were rushing round just buying anything. Why? Who needs all this stuff? It's just stuff that will probably collect dust.

I think that so long as you can have a happy Christmas with the people you love and have a nice dinner, then what more do you need? A couple of presents for the kids and some sweeties for them too. You don't need all the excess food, the over-the-top presents or the relatives you never see during the year. You certainly don't need all the hassle and the expense.

Last year 2 boys in my class, brothers, were given 1 toy aeroplane to share, as their Christmas present. I felt so sorry for them although they were happy with it. Another child had practically the whole of Harrods toy shop bought for him! Life is unfair. Interestingly, as you may expect, the boys who shared the aeroplane were lovely caring children, whilst the boy who got everything is a little sh**! *sigh* His parents tried to bribe him to be good - it didn't work! :thinking: Giving your family your time and attention and enjoying their company and showing you appreciate them is worth far more than the crap you can buy in the shops.

They are having so called huge sale here before Christmas instead of after so they say, thing is, they have always done this and as you say, mostly junk.

Then again there are the leather jackets, I certainly wouldn't spend that much on a gift.

Christmas needs to be cut down anyway, just way to much spending and most regret it afterwords.

Your right about kids who get so much Rapunzel, they don't appreciate it, spoiled brats they turn out of be, always wanting more.:-5

Tis the season to be with family.:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
AussiePam

Out Of Work

Post by AussiePam »

Of course there's sales. Of course people are spending, whether they can afford it or not. This is how things run in a commerce-driven world. Christmas is about conditioning people to part with lots of money. It's about eating and drinking too much, hysterical shopping, exhaustion, stress, loneliness and often domestic violence. It's not about love, joy, peace - it's about profit.

Some research published in the newspaper here yesterday said the average Aussie kid will have 12 presents under the Christmas tree, to add to the 100 currently in their playroom. It was estimated that these 12 presents came to an average of $227.

It's never good when you are out of work. Life is very hard when you are struggling to make ends meet. As I typed that and recalled some personal time in the wilderness, I also remembered that the very first Christmas was celebrated in pretty basic surroundings.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

along-for-the-ride

Out Of Work

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I posted this in another thread:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/holid ... ost1270420

Lack of money does not mean you cannot celebrate Christmas.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Rapunzel

Out Of Work

Post by Rapunzel »

AussiePam;1270443 wrote: Of course there's sales. Of course people are spending, whether they can afford it or not. This is how things run in a commerce-driven world. Christmas is about conditioning people to part with lots of money. It's about eating and drinking too much, hysterical shopping, exhaustion, stress, loneliness and often domestic violence. It's not about love, joy, peace - it's about profit.

Some research published in the newspaper here yesterday said the average Aussie kid will have 12 presents under the Christmas tree, to add to the 100 currently in their playroom. It was estimated that these 12 presents came to an average of $227.

It's never good when you are out of work. Life is very hard when you are struggling to make ends meet. As I typed that and recalled some personal time in the wilderness, I also remembered that the very first Christmas was celebrated in pretty basic surroundings.

Very well said Pammie. :)

Don't forget that guilt is also a major part of the commerce-driven Christmas. Guilt that you can't afford the most expensive toy/ computer / car in the shop. Guilt that your house doesn't look like a magazine house. Guilt that makes you spend more on someone you don't really like, so they won't know. If it weren't for guilt (and greed?) people wouldn't feel forced into spending so much.

As you say, that first Christmas was in very basic surroundings. It was about love with a few gifts for a baby. Thats what it should be about today. The older I get the more disinterested I become in the whole commercial meaningless enterprise. When I think back on Christmases past, I remember the family gatherings, the chatter, the fun, the pleasure of bonding again with family members, everyone sitting down to eat together, laughing, talking, having fun. I can't remember which presents I got or when and when I decorate the tree, my favourite decorations are the wonky ones the kids made at school when they were small. :-4
EdisonCheug

Out Of Work

Post by EdisonCheug »

well, everyone here tends to emphasize that we shouldn't focus our eyes on money, but more love to parents, children, family.

of course, it is all right.

yet on the other hand, i think it is time for us to improve ourselves. Learning brings success. ;)
Maristar87

Out Of Work

Post by Maristar87 »

I'm out of work right now too (I actually should be on disability, but I'm refusing to take it), but I have an interview tomorrow... (yay!)

I make on average $10,000 per year. Last Christmas, my extended family started complaining that I didn't get them anything and I didn't care. I spent about $500 to shut everybody up - and that's not how Christmas should be. I just want a quiet Christmas with my husband and our cat. I don't even look forward to getting presents anymore, if I want something I'll buy it myself.
mikeinie

Out Of Work

Post by mikeinie »

Maristar87;1356700 wrote: I'm out of work right now too (I actually should be on disability, but I'm refusing to take it), but I have an interview tomorrow... (yay!)

I make on average $10,000 per year. Last Christmas, my extended family started complaining that I didn't get them anything and I didn't care. I spent about $500 to shut everybody up - and that's not how Christmas should be. I just want a quiet Christmas with my husband and our cat. I don't even look forward to getting presents anymore, if I want something I'll buy it myself.

So how did the interview go?
Maristar87

Out Of Work

Post by Maristar87 »

mikeinie;1356764 wrote: So how did the interview go?

Eh, I'm not sure... the guy looked me up and down, and I don't think he'll hire me based upon the fact I'm a scrawny woman. I don't look like I could hold my own in a verbal or physical fight with a customer... but they seemed pressed for people and I have open availibility, so... yeah, there's still that.

Return to “Work Employment”