GOing to Sacramento/ San Francisco! First time!

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
winnip2

Post by winnip2 »

Hey! I am going to Sacramento at the end of march, for a conference, and I really want to go to San Francisco too. Any advice out there for a very light budget? what should I go see?
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

I went there when I was a kid. My advice is to take the trolly rides, those are fun, walk around and look at some of the buildings, a lot of the hotels and such are very nice, some of them have shopping areas below. Visit fountains, and if I remember correctly, there was a larger than normal Sharper Image near by that we visited. It might have been one of the largest in the country if I remember correctly. Though someone told me that the company went out of business. Not sure if that's true or not. There is much to see though, I remember it being a very clean city back then. Not sure if it still is or not.
Link removed by moderator
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

TruthBringer;1353872 wrote: I went there when I was a kid. My advice is to take the trolly rides, those are fun, walk around and look at some of the buildings, a lot of the hotels and such are very nice, some of them have shopping areas below. Visit fountains, and if I remember correctly, there was a larger than normal Sharper Image near by that we visited. It might have been one of the largest in the country if I remember correctly. Though someone told me that the company went out of business. Not sure if that's true or not. There is much to see though, I remember it being a very clean city back then. Not sure if it still is or not.

Yep, it was in Ghirardelli Square. Lots of street artists and vendors, get some dungeness crab at Pier 39.
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1353914 wrote: get some dungeness crab at Pier 39.Why is it San Francisco and STDs are so closely intertwined anyway?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lon

Post by Lon »

winnip2;1353831 wrote: Hey! I am going to Sacramento at the end of march, for a conference, and I really want to go to San Francisco too. Any advice out there for a very light budget? what should I go see?

I live 20 miles from Sacramento and know San Francisco quite well having lived there as well. You are one hour 10 minutes from San Francisco when you are in Sacramento. Take the Cable Car when you are in San Francisco and head for the wharf. This has been a good year for Crab and March is a good time to partake. A boat trip around the Bay with a stop at Alcatraz Prison is not costly and the view from Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge is outstanding. SUGGESTION--Take transportation from Sacramento to Richmond and then take BART into San Francisco. BART Bay Area Rapid Transit (train) which will go under the Bay to SF via a tunnel is inexpensive and fun.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I'll be up there in a couple of weeks. My cousins want to see Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and I want to show them Lombard Street. "The crookedest street in the world."
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

The trolley is not expensive. It'll give you a great tour. I haven't been there in years, but there is tons of history there. spin a bottle and head the direction it points to. You probably won't be disappointed.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I'll be in San Fran 2-23-11 thru 2-28-11. Saturday and Sunday will be at the College regional wrestling tournament for my son. The other days I will be roaming the streets. It's hard to believe my son goes to college in the State of Kansas and we have to go all the way to S.F. for a regional tournament.:wah: If he makes it too nationals we will be in Nebraska for them. :-5
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

ZAP;1353925 wrote: I'll be up there in a couple of weeks. My cousins want to see Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 and I want to show them Lombard Street. "The crookedest street in the world."

How very appropriate - Lombard Street (London) is in the heart of Bank and is where most of the major banks used to have their headquarters - the Bank of England still does.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Bryn Mawr;1353963 wrote: How very appropriate - Lombard Street (London) is in the heart of Bank and is where most of the major banks used to have their headquarters - the Bank of England still does.

How funny! :wah:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1353952 wrote: I'll be in San Fran 2-23-11 thru 2-28-11. Saturday and Sunday will be at the College regional wrestling tournament for my son. The other days I will be roaming the streets. It's hard to believe my son goes to college in the State of Kansas and we have to go all the way to S.F. for a regional tournament.:wah: If he makes it too nationals we will be in Nebraska for them. :-5

My cousins (from Wichita!) and I will be on Lombard St. on the 28th. We'll do a cheer for your boy. Is it YZGY, Jr? Gimme a Y! Gimme a Z . .. .
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

ZAP;1353965 wrote: My cousins (from Wichita!) and I will be on Lombard St. on the 28th. We'll do a cheer for your boy. Is it YZGY, Jr? Gimme a Y! Gimme a Z . .. .

That will work. Thanks.:wah:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Place to eat while in SF:

The Stinking Rose - A Garlic Restaurant Located in San Francisco & Beverly Hills

Excellent food.

And not far from Fisherman's Wharf, there is an arcade full of old coin operated games and gadgets. Can't remember the name.

But wandering the waterfront is a real treat.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1354003 wrote: Place to eat while in SF:

The Stinking Rose - A Garlic Restaurant Located in San Francisco & Beverly Hills

Excellent food.

And not far from Fisherman's Wharf, there is an arcade full of old coin operated games and gadgets. Can't remember the name.

But wandering the waterfront is a real treat.

Thanks, will do that.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Yzgi,

Have a wonderful time. I loved San Francisco:-6

Make sure you wear a flower in your hair thought as you're not allowed in city if you don't:lips:

YouTube - Scott McKenzie - If You're Going To San Francisco

I loved the wharf and trolly cars! Take a walk down Lombard Street and have a drink in Durty Nellys.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Kathy Ellen;1354048 wrote: Oh Yzgi,

Make sure you wear a flower in your hair thought as you're not allowed in city if you don't:lips:

I loved the wharf and trolly cars! Take a walk down Lombard Street and have a drink in Durty Nellys.

:wah::yh_rotfl
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Kathy Ellen;1354048 wrote: Oh Yzgi,

Gotta get me some rice a roni too. Wife wants to do the Alcatraz thing, Im sure we will.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

YZGI;1354064 wrote: Gotta get me some rice a roni too. Wife wants to do the Alcatraz thing, Im sure we will.

Book early for Alcatraz. We tried to visit there and all the excursions were booked for 2 days.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Kathy Ellen;1354066 wrote: Book early for Alcatraz. We tried to visit there and all the excursions were booked for 2 days.

Wow, thanks for the heads up I will have Cindy check it out tonight.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

There's also a Mexican restaurant in the Mission district I want to hit.

Return to “Travel Places”