Warm Socks

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
tabby

Warm Socks

Post by tabby »

What do you consider the warmest socks to wear for being in cold temperatures for 3 to 4 hours at a time? I go hiking every Sunday morning come rain or shine and with the temperatures already close to freezing in the early mornings this time of year, I'm on the look-out for extra warm socks. I've tried wool ragg socks, some insulated socks touted as "40 Below Socks" (NOT!!!) and various others along the same line. Suggestions would be appreciated!
binbag

Warm Socks

Post by binbag »

tabby;1342715 wrote: What do you consider the warmest socks to wear for being in cold temperatures for 3 to 4 hours at a time? I go hiking every Sunday morning come rain or shine and with the temperatures already close to freezing in the early mornings this time of year, I'm on the look-out for extra warm socks. I've tried wool ragg socks, some insulated socks touted as "40 Below Socks" (NOT!!!) and various others along the same line. Suggestions would be appreciated! If you haven't already tried Thermals, try the web for thermal socks tabby, you'll get a full description of them.

Here's just a couple of examples.....

http://www.perilla.co.uk/cgi-bin

Ladies/Womens extra warm thermal socks (Pack of 6)

Good luck.

bb
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
valerie

Warm Socks

Post by valerie »

I always found that a two layer sock is best. Something that will

"wick" moisture away from your feet.

A lot of people like a polypropolene/wool combination.

Any REI stores near you? They might be able to help. They even

have foot warmers. Or Cabela's has stuff that outdoorsy types

use.

ETA: Silk sock liners are good, too!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

G#Gill

Warm Socks

Post by G#Gill »

Sounds like you need to find the company that make the socks for the Artic Expeditions, or the company that supplies the Artic patrols in the armies of different countries. Perhaps you could Google them?
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
flopstock

Warm Socks

Post by flopstock »

larger shoe, layers of socks. That's my choice.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

gmc

Warm Socks

Post by gmc »

tabby;1342715 wrote: What do you consider the warmest socks to wear for being in cold temperatures for 3 to 4 hours at a time? I go hiking every Sunday morning come rain or shine and with the temperatures already close to freezing in the early mornings this time of year, I'm on the look-out for extra warm socks. I've tried wool ragg socks, some insulated socks touted as "40 Below Socks" (NOT!!!) and various others along the same line. Suggestions would be appreciated!

Just close to freezing? you have it soft. Try these

Thorlos® Socks : The World's Best Foot Care!

It's an american company, the smartwool are the best they're merino wool and I didn't find them particularly hard wearing but i can vouch for them down to about -30 degrees centigrade.

These are good as well but I'm not sure if you can order them from the states.

sealskinz.com waterproof socks and gloves clothing from porvair international

The socks have a wool lining and are great for mountain biking as well as paddling through burns when the need arises.

Might be worth while looking at your boots as well, especially how the sole is constructed as that can make a big difference if it is too thin or not insulated enough. Maybe just changing the insole would help.
Nomad

Warm Socks

Post by Nomad »

Having worked outdoors in the winter Ive tried different types of socks. The only thing that truly warms my feet and keeps me comfortable are Toasty Toes. They generally last about 8 hrs.

Amazon.com: HeatMax Toasti Toes Foot Warmer (40 Pairs): Sports & Outdoors
I AM AWESOME MAN
Snowfire

Warm Socks

Post by Snowfire »

Product Description

Toasti Toes are air-activated toe warmers with full adhesive on one side that sticks to your socks to provide up to 5 hours of warmth. Best used by the active sportsman who will be walking or moving continuously while outdoors in the cold. Not recommended for those who will be stationary for long periods of time. (The Foot Warm-Up is better suited for these activities)

Well thats no good. I do an 8 hour day
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill

Return to “Fashion Clothing”