Snow

What's the weather like today?
LarsMac

Snow

Post by LarsMac »

I love snow.

Or rather, I love the idea of snow.

It can be so calming, to sit and watch the snow fall, quietly.

The little phfft of snowflakes colliding, and piling up on the ground before you.

The deadening of sounds around you.

the limited visibility, pulls the world in close.

Peaceful, calm, soft,...

and...

COLD!!!

Damned why does it have to be so cold when it snows.

And then it piles up, and blocks the roads, and you can't just get in your car and go somewhere, because of all the danged snow.

You have to bundle up and find your mukluks and dig out the drive, and brush all the crap off your car, and the hope the plows haven't piled a ridge up blocking your drive, and hope all the idiot neighbors are not trying to drive around in the crap, sliding off the road and blocking your path and spinning tires spewing grit and salt onto your windshield, and, and,...

Dammit, I am moving to Florida.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Snow

Post by Ahso! »

Well done!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
chonsigirl

Snow

Post by chonsigirl »

Ah, the ice really stinks, thats what we got today. :(
ZAP

Snow

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1352495 wrote: I love snow.

Or rather, I love the idea of snow.

It can be so calming, to sit and watch the snow fall, quietly.

The little phfft of snowflakes colliding, and piling up on the ground before you.

The deadening of sounds around you.

the limited visibility, pulls the world in close.

Peaceful, calm, soft,...

and...

COLD!!!

Damned why does it have to be so cold when it snows.

And then it piles up, and blocks the roads, and you can't just get in your car and go somewhere, because of all the danged snow.

You have to bundle up and find your mukluks and dig out the drive, and brush all the crap off your car, and the hope the plows haven't piled a ridge up blocking your drive, and hope all the idiot neighbors are not trying to drive around in the crap, sliding off the road and blocking your path and spinning tires spewing grit and salt onto your windshield, and, and,...

Dammit, I am moving to Florida.

Love it!!:-6
Accountable

Snow

Post by Accountable »

Magic white stuff fell from the sky last night. Turned some of the rooftops white. School's canceled until they can test to make sure it's not toxic.
Kathy Ellen

Snow

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Love your poem Lars:-6

I love snow as long as I don't have to shovel or drive to work in it:thinking:

My 2 favorite snow poems are....

Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening...

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost : Poetry Out Loud: National Recitation Project

Velvet Shoes...

"Velvet Shoes" by Elinor Wylie

When I was about 8 years old, my Mom and I were taking a long walk through our city. To my delight, it started to snow. The snow looked like diamond crystals falling so lightly in the very quiet night. All you could hear was the crunching of our feet. I was over the moon with happiness as I thought that we were the only 2 people, in the city, enjoying this beautiful snow.

Mom then began to recite the poem "Velvet Shoes" by Elinor Wylie. This has been one of my favorite poems about snow, especially since my Mom recited it to me !
LarsMac

Snow

Post by LarsMac »

I was on a farm in South west Missouri last week.

The system blew in Monday night, and I woke to about 4-5 inches of snow covering everything. At first it was calm, and drifting down from the sky. The countryside was hushed, and all I could hear was the calling of some birds, and the occasional low of cattle, and the soft pff of flakes landing.

Then, I could hear the breeze picking up, before It actually began to push the snowflakes.

half an hour later, the wind had picked up and the snow was moving with force, and flying everywhere.

More snow, faster and heavier, and before long I could not see the trees and fence posts across the road.

By nightfall, the snow was piling up on the carport, and we had drifts as high as four feet.

All I could do was settle in for the night, and keep the fire going.

Wednesday morning the world was covered in white. I had to dig out the carport and dig a path to the car, to even begin digging it out. By noon, I had the car and the jeep dug out, and a section of the driveway. No rush, because even if I got to the road, there were two or more feet of the stuff there.

The road doesn't go anywhere, really, so the county has it pretty far down the list of roads to plow.

A few hardy souls in 4x4 pickups ventured down the road towards town.

I worked my way down the drive, and when I look down the hill near the bridge, I could see the same hardy souls all standing around another vehicle sitting "catiwampus" on the bridge.

The first hardy soul to venture out had apparently not been particularly experienced in driving in deep snow, and had slid across the bridge, blocking it. Everyone now was trying to figure out how to get around him, or get him out of the way.

This was, I decided, a sign that it was time to check the fire, and have a cup of coffee, or two.

It was also about the time i made the OP here.

An hour later, I looked out and saw the road open. I fired up the jeep for a venture back towards the highway.

If I kept to the ruts the other folks left, I could make my way up the next hill, bit I often bottomed out and squirreled around a bit, getting out of the ruts. It was kind of fun, but I didn't feel like driving the whole 5 miles to the main highway, so I decided to go have another coffee, and some of that soda bread my daughter had baked.

About another hour, I heard a rumble, and looked out to see the snowplow running up the road. Shortly, it made the return trip.

I went out to the end of the driveway, and spent the next hour digging out all the residue the plow had dumped across the drive.

By now it is getting dark. The wife had made dinner and I headed in.

That night the sky cleared, and I went out to walk the dog.

The world was once again quiet, and the stars were glittering in the sky. The snow reflected the starlight, and glowed with a magic of its own.

Orion was high in the sky, in all his glory.

I was taken in, and even the sub-zero temps could not break the mood.

A train whistle blew from across the prairie.

I sat and watched the night until the chill finally forced me to remember the fire inside the house.

I slept well that night.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Weather Station”