Indoor Lettuce Production

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
halfway

Post by halfway »

Here is my new Deep Water Culture system I am using to grow lettuce. The ebb and flow system has been a steady producer, but this become become the primary for lettuce.

It is cheap, very low maintenance, and very easy to build with DIY parts. It has been fun and I am expecting as heavy production as the ebb and flow.

We are now spoiled in having non-stop lettuce at our disposal.

Design, build, and operation in my blog /journal at Frugal Hydroponics
My Journal of a New Endeavor
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Thankyou. It sounds interesting.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Is this done in your basement or where? What kind of electric bills do you see?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

halfway

Post by halfway »

flopstock;1350606 wrote: Is this done in your basement or where? What kind of electric bills do you see?

I broke out the costs in my blog (posted earlier) and it was surprising.

The lights perform double-duty as they are used in all my starts for the normal growing season. The cost savings have paid for the light many. many times over, so using them for the hydro ads very little cost. I switch the bulbs out once a year for a total cost of $12.

Electrical costs equate to about $5 a month. I do this in the basement. It has not only been a great winter project in learning a new skill, but very productive and efficient in putting fresh lettuce on our plates.

I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't make the numbers work out towards the positive. I only grow lettuce, spinach, "greens", and herbs because a jump to flowering plants (peppers/tomatoes etc.) would require additional lighting spectrum which in turn add significantly to the electrical bill as well. I cannot seem to make those numbers feasible.

I am very impressed with the growth rates and ease of use. This has been such a great endeavor, hence my posting. :)
halfway

Post by halfway »

I am finally retiring the current batch of lettuce in the ebb and flow system. This batch has produced steady harvests for over 60 days and has not yet bolted. The lettuce has been crisp and very tasty let alone the convenience.

If I can work tomatoes and peppers into this, we will cut so much from our food bills and the taste and nutrition are so much better.

My Indoor Growing Jounal
halfway

Post by halfway »

YouTube - Update Ebb and Flow and DWC Hydroponic system 29 Jan 11

Here is a video I shot last night of both the ebb and flow and DWC systems in operation and their results and progress so far. Under my YOUTUBE channel "misterhalfwaythere1" I have posted several videos on indoor growing and I may expand this to the springtime "starts" germination and propagation.

This has been exceptionally productive. My next move will be further expansion to increase our produce production.

I also updated the blog with notes on the system design and build. Frugal Hydroponics

It has been fun!!
halfway

Post by halfway »

Got back from a short vacation (and break from the damn cold) to explosive growth and great tasting leaves.

Had a couple salads tonight and they were great. I added a gallon of water on our return, but everything else was perfect and no worries. I love being able to leave and not concern myself with leaks, drying out, too little sun etc.

I'm prepping seeds for another DWC run for continuous lettuce. The seeds are a mesclun blend and we are looking forward to the varieties that sprout.

DWC or raft is definitely the way to go for lettuce.

My Adventure
halfway

Post by halfway »

I increased the nutrients to full strength since the growth became very thick and robust and now it has really taken off. I cannot even tell it has been harvested a few times. What a great maintenance free system.

My Indoor Growing Journal
hydro5

Post by hydro5 »

There are number of varieties of leaf lettuce. Some are a light green color, while others are dark vibrant green and some are a beautiful deep red. You can keep each lettuce to its own planter or you can mix it up for variety.Nice post.

Return to “Gardening Forum”