Passed Away??

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Passed Away??

Post by Lon »

Is passed away a more polite or gentler way to say that someone has "DIED" or is DEAD?

Does how we say that some one has died an expression of how we feel about the person? The ole lady "croaked" or the elderly lady "passed away". Charlie "assumed room temperature" the other day. If Jim keeps drinking like that he will no doubt "kick the bucket". He had been coughing for months and finally "bought the farm". He "cashed in his chips" on the 20th of May. She was a good soul and has "gone to meet her maker". He's "gone on to his great reward". Bill "checked out" pretty quick after that accident. It was a long illness and he finally "was laid to rest"

There are many of these---------please fee free to add your favorites.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Passed Away??

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1350365 wrote: Is passed away a more polite or gentler way to say that someone has "DIED" or is DEAD?

Does how we say that some one has died an expression of how we feel about the person? The ole lady "croaked" or the elderly lady "passed away". Charlie "assumed room temperature" the other day. If Jim keeps drinking like that he will no doubt "kick the bucket". He had been coughing for months and finally "bought the farm". He "cashed in his chips" on the 20th of May. She was a good soul and has "gone to meet her maker". He's "gone on to his great reward". Bill "checked out" pretty quick after that accident. It was a long illness and he finally "was laid to rest"

There are many of these---------please fee free to add your favorites.

Monty Python said it all :-

spot

Passed Away??

Post by spot »

The top of my list of double-takes then it comes to avoiding hard fact is "fell asleep".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bevdee

Passed Away??

Post by Bevdee »

I prefer crossed over.

I kinda like bought the farm, too.
koan

Passed Away??

Post by koan »

I believe the proper PC term would be something like "pulse challenged" or "differently conscious"
spot

Passed Away??

Post by spot »

"Gone Ahead" has an optimistic tone which impresses me.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
ZAP

Passed Away??

Post by ZAP »

spot;1350495 wrote: "Gone Ahead" has an optimistic tone which impresses me.
Yes,

I like that one too.

Lately, I've been hearing the shortened version of "Passed Away" . . ."Passed". John passed. Of course this leaves room for speculation as to what it is that John has done. Did he pass a test? Was he promoted to a higher level of academic achievement? Is this a question of flatulence? Was he in the left lane in traffic (US, right lane in England)? I think it should be mandatory to add the "away" to avoid confusion.
spot

Passed Away??

Post by spot »

I've seen "resting", too. Another which gains my approval.

And, oddly, "sleeping with Jesus".
Nomad

Passed Away??

Post by Nomad »

I remember a Shirley Temple movie. Her mom died and dad flew his plane up to heaven to be with her. I think it would be nice if when I die you guys chartered a plane and came up to say "hey old buddy"
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Passed Away??

Post by spot »

Nomad;1350562 wrote: I remember a Shirley Temple movie. Her mom died and dad flew his plane up to heaven to be with her. I think it would be nice if when I die you guys chartered a plane and came up to say "hey old buddy"

Up?

UP???

We'd need a long drill like they use in mine rescues, Shirley.
Nomad

Passed Away??

Post by Nomad »

Did you just go there? No you didnt.
I AM AWESOME MAN
LarsMac

Passed Away??

Post by LarsMac »

Where I grew up in Florida, there was "gone under"

Then We moved out west.

"Bit the dust" was common.

another one I heard often,

"Tits up"
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Nomad

Passed Away??

Post by Nomad »

Necropheliacs...whoa! Now theres a kooky bunch.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Passed Away??

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1350573 wrote: another one I heard often,

"Tits up"That's a temporary women's condition after spending an evening at a club drinking too much. So I'm told.
ZAP

Passed Away??

Post by ZAP »

Nomad;1350562 wrote: I remember a Shirley Temple movie. Her mom died and dad flew his plane up to heaven to be with her. I think it would be nice if when I die you guys chartered a plane and came up to say "hey old buddy"

I'll start a collection for it now. Everybody who wants to fly up to visit Nomad send me your bank account information, credit card or certified funds.

Return to “General Chit Chat”