Sleep

actionfigurestepho

Sleep

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Do you think it's worse to go to bed early and toss and turn for hours before you fall asleep, or to stay up doing light activities (reading, FG, TV) until you can actually nod off?

I ask because last night I tried to go to bed early. I was too exhausted to even read, but I couldn't fall asleep until an hour or so later. I woke up late and now I feel kind of fuzzy.
chrisb84uk

Sleep

Post by chrisb84uk »

Interesting question. I used to go to bed early, but could never get to sleep as I wasn't tired at all. I would always stay awake for hours, keep looking at the clock and thinking "god is that the time already."

Now though I try and make myself tired by doing as you suggest, watch tv etc. I seem lately to be able to get to sleep within a few minutes and get a good nights sleep in the process.
abbey

Sleep

Post by abbey »

I know the feeling, last night at 9.30 i felt so sleepy i could barely keep my eyes open, but i resisted because it was too early.

I finally went to bed at midnight and i tossed and turned, it must have taken an hour to get to sleep.

My problem is, no matter how late i get to sleep i always rise early, so i'm buggered by early afternoon.

So tonight if i feel sleepy early, i'm not going to fight it...
Bez

Sleep

Post by Bez »

I don't have problems going to sleep but I do wake up every couple of hours to take a drink (dry mouth).

If i get less than 6 to 7 hours sleep I have problems getting up so I always try to get to bed by 10.30.

However...since i've been visiting FG., this addiction has led me to many late nights and much rushing around in the morning....BAD start to the day.

From what I've heard from various people, sleeplessness of one kind or another is very common...not much help...but you're not alone. I wait with interest to see how others cope because our lives can be sorely affected by this problem...

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
minks

Sleep

Post by minks »

Bez wrote: I don't have problems going to sleep but I do wake up every couple of hours to take a drink (dry mouth).

If i get less than 6 to 7 hours sleep I have problems getting up so I always try to get to bed by 10.30.

However...since i've been visiting FG., this addiction has led me to many late nights and much rushing around in the morning....BAD start to the day.

From what I've heard from various people, sleeplessness of one kind or another is very common...not much help...but you're not alone. I wait with interest to see how others cope because our lives can be sorely affected by this problem...

I was a routine sleeper for ages, bed time comes along you got to bed. As a kid it made me nuts to lie awake well after my parents were asleep. As I got older I realized ... go to bed when sleepy. And generally I get a decent sleep. Something else I had to do to improve my time for falling asleep I run a little water fountain in my room some white noise why...because if not I would quite litterally strain and try to hear sounds. Now that tunes out any remote sounds and I am blissfully nodding off with ease all nites but sundays hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Sleep

Post by minks »

As well I believe anyone who is or was a mother is conditioned to poor light sleeps as it is our instinct to sleep with one eye open and ears tuned in to our kids. That is certainly no help.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Sleep

Post by capt_buzzard »

I never had a problem sleeping. Up at 06.30 every morning. Bed usually about 11.30pm,unless there is something interesting to amuse me on a Forum:cool:
chrisb84uk

Sleep

Post by chrisb84uk »

canaan wrote: If I don't go to sleep right when I feel sleepy then I am up for a long time afterwards. 2nd wind I guess.

Then I hate myself in the morning.

It takes me a while to fall asleep but mostly because my mind won't quit racing. I think about the strangest things at night when I'm trying to sleep. It has kept me up for hours before. When this happens I will usually get up for about 15 min. Get it all out of my system...and go back to bed. It works most of the time.

I have exactly the same problem. I always beat myself up about it, which only leads me to keeping myself awake for even longer.
rainbowsmiles

Sleep

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Do you think it's worse to go to bed early and toss and turn for hours before you fall asleep, or to stay up doing light activities (reading, FG, TV) until you can actually nod off?

I think either way you end waking up tired in the morning (if you ever do fall asleep) so its better to get up and do something productive instead of laying in bed tossing about! Then you get some things done and the activity will tire your mind and bit and you might be able to go back to bed and fall aslepp :p
daffodil52

Sleep

Post by daffodil52 »

I just count the stars in the sky ......

and then fall a sleep .... or watch tv or

early to bed early up mmmmm are just sleep loldaffy
PurpleChicken

Sleep

Post by PurpleChicken »

I have the same problem - either I go to bed at a reasonable hour and toss and turn, or I stay up late and then sleep much better. As Rainbow says, at least you feel like you've done something with that time.

I went to a seminar recently where they explained that the body works in 90 minute energy cycles. Sleep comes best when your at the low energy point on one of your cycles. That's why sometimes it feels like you've gotten a second wind - you've passed the lull in your cycle, and need to wait another 90 mins for the next one. That's also why they say you should have about 8hrs sleep. 5 cycles, plus and extra 1/2 in bed to snooze (or whatever!)
chrisb84uk

Sleep

Post by chrisb84uk »

That's really interesting PC!! I was unaware of such cycles. I would be interested to learn more about this, perhaps a similiar seminar may come our way, I'd sure love to visit it and discover some more.
PurpleChicken

Sleep

Post by PurpleChicken »

I actually was just going through all of my stuff from work (the seminar was run through work), but sadly the booklet didn't have much useful stuff. If you google sleep cycles there seems to be some stuff generally in agreement with that info....

Sleep is certainly something I'd like to learn more about - it's one thing I've never really been good at....
chrisb84uk

Sleep

Post by chrisb84uk »

Ok I will have a google search and see what I get.

I just find sleep fascinating myself, and would love to be able to answer just some of the questions that I have about it!!
Bez

Sleep

Post by Bez »

I go to bed between 10pm and 11pm and have no problem falling sleep....but....I wake at least 4 times during the night ...sometimes my mouth is very dry so I keep a bottle of water by my bed. I have a sip of water and then go back to sleep. I used to worry a lot about this, because of all the hype about getting 8 hrs un-interrupted sleep, but i have accepted that it is now part of my life...it helps.

Does anyone else have a problem with a dry mouth ? Sometimes it is really uncomfortable. I chew a lot of gum to keep my mouth moist.
chrisb84uk

Sleep

Post by chrisb84uk »

No sorry Bez, can't help you with your dry mouth problem. I drink quite a lot of water, before I go to bed so I don't seem to get dry mouths. I too wake up several times during then night, not all the time though. It's really annoying when u wake up, thinking that u have been asleep for ages, and then turn to the clock and see that u have only been asleep for like an hour.
Bez

Sleep

Post by Bez »

chrisb84uk wrote: No sorry Bez, can't help you with your dry mouth problem. I drink quite a lot of water, before I go to bed so I don't seem to get dry mouths. I too wake up several times during then night, not all the time though. It's really annoying when u wake up, thinking that u have been asleep for ages, and then turn to the clock and see that u have only been asleep for like an hour.

Same as my eldest son.
capt_buzzard

Sleep

Post by capt_buzzard »

Try reading a book or pillow-fight the wife/hubbie:wah:
PurpleChicken

Sleep

Post by PurpleChicken »

do you mean pillow-fight or "pillow-fight" Captn?? Either one probably works, though the latter is preferable!
robinseggs

Sleep

Post by robinseggs »

chrisb84uk wrote: No sorry Bez, can't help you with your dry mouth problem. I drink quite a lot of water, before I go to bed so I don't seem to get dry mouths. I too wake up several times during then night, not all the time though. It's really annoying when u wake up, thinking that u have been asleep for ages, and then turn to the clock and see that u have only been asleep for like an hour.

Do you know what's way worse though??? Falling asleep and waking up thinking you've only been asleep an hour only to look at the clock and realize your alarm is going to go off in 8 minutes!!!!!!!!! Now that sucks!! Well I also just remembered a sleep trick that works like a charm everytime!! But you need a hot tub. Before I was married and lived at home w/ parents I used to sit in the hot tub at night a lot. I swear I would always sleep like a baby!! Wait a minute....................babies don't sleep!! LOL... anyhow it was the best sleep I ever got!!!!!
Nature laughs Last
TinkerBellz

Sleep

Post by TinkerBellz »

I also have these problems. For myself, I feel getting up and doing something until I'm sleepy again works better. Tossing and turning in bed just wears me out. I bought one of those machines that creates different sounds to help me but it only worked for a little while. The cricket sound on that machine will drive you nuts tho..lol. Hope you find some skills to help you get better rest! When you do PLEASE share..lol.

Attached files

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”