Don't Legalize Polygamy! I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

A forum to discuss local issues in Canada.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Saint_;1345904 wrote: Of course permitting prostitution is not mandating it. Of course permitting drug use is not mandating it. Of course permitting shoplifting is not mandating it. Of course permitting drunk driving is not mandating it.

Whoops! There goes our civilization!:thinking:
Don't ignore the context, Saint. He's been moaning this entire thread that if polygamy isn't outlawed then it will consume the entire society.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

[QUOTE=koan;1345905]RC, your misplacing where the middle ground should be sought. Not between polygamy and monogamy, between utopia and hell.[/QUOTE]

They could both be both.
recovering conservative

Post by recovering conservative »

Accountable;1345939 wrote: Don't ignore the context, Saint. He's been moaning this entire thread that if polygamy isn't outlawed then it will consume the entire society.

And, even if I give up on a thread, I can't ignore bullshit comments from the likes of you -- who complains about others doing the exact same **** that you pull over and over again!

You came here supposedly to challenge the position that polygamy should continue to be outlawed as a harmful social institution. You have offered no counter-evidence against what has been presented by feminists, anthropologists, historians and law enforcement officials, that this institution is harmful to women and children, and antithetical to egalitarian and democratic principles. All you throw up is the libertarian prime direction that everyone should get to do whatever the hell they want.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Everyone should get to do whatever the hell they want, up to the point that it harms others. Polygamy in and of itself does no harm. Polygamy is present in both of our countries despite having laws in place against it. The harm you mention (some of which I would argue is not harm) is also present in both our countries outside of polygamous relationships despite having laws in place against them.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

recovering conservative;1346067 wrote: And, even if I give up on a thread, I can't ignore bullshit comments from the likes of you -- who complains about others doing the exact same **** that you pull over and over again!I don't follow. What do I complain about that I myself pull over and over again?

Return to “Canada”