‘Hypersonic” passenger jets that travel at 5 times the speed of sound

Post by OpenMind »

Next stop the Moon. :rolleyes:

Soon:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Is this a misprint?

Under the NASA Aeronautics 2010 proposal, the space agency will allocate 5million dollars per year for the next three years to make the new aircraft a reality.

That should be billion surely? A production Airbus 380 costs fifteen time the total they're proposing to invest to develop the new 'plane
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Bryn Mawr;1342928 wrote: Is this a misprint?

That should be billion surely? A production Airbus 380 costs fifteen time the total they're proposing to invest to develop the new 'plane

It wasn't made clear in the article exactly what investments are to be made by whom. I get the impression that this is just NASA's carrot.

I also get the impression that the aircraft will be designed to use space-hopping as a part of its flight.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Only 6 passengers?

Nasa to develop 'hypersonic' jets that travel at 5 times the speed of sound | Mail Online
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

OpenMind;1342954 wrote: Only 6 passengers?

Nasa to develop 'hypersonic' jets that travel at 5 times the speed of sound | Mail Online

The six passengers relates to the Virgin Galactic SpaceShip2 rather than the Nasa offering but this article repeats the $5Million / year for 3 years.

As per post #3, peanuts to catch elephants!
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Well we do have the technology to do it BUT can NASA do it efficiently? I think it's more of a potential black hole for taxpayer dollars.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

It seems to me that NASA are looking to the likes of Richard Branson to create a real space going vehicle. Since the likes of Richard Virgeon already have viable blueprints for such a craft, NASA's peanuts offering is probably just a friendly notice to show that they're not going to try and interfere politically( - just yet).

Return to “Science”