Astronomy picture of the day...

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Bryn Mawr;1340858 wrote: This was about fifteen miles due east of where I lived and the machine was walking about forty miles south from one quarry to another across the main Leicester to Peterborough road - awesome.

To see such a lump made you appreciate that we are literally capable of moving mountains but then you sit and think about it and realise that, at the end of the day, that's still only scratching the surface.

That truly is amazing Bryn. I would be so awe struck to see this machine in action. Thank you for the images that I have in my mind now.
recovering conservative

Post by recovering conservative »

Kathy Ellen;1340845 wrote: WOW, thanks for the info RC. Maybe Earth people will live on the moon one day. Jeez, we've already left gargage there. We should go back and clean it up:wah:

It would be nice if there was a serious effort to restart the space program! When I started school in the 60's, the Gemini and Apollo missions were a big deal for kids growing up then. I was 11 when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to set foot on the surface of the Moon. Back then, we thought there would be space stations and lunar colonies by the year 2000. While in middle school, I had a book that was released by NASA, that contained a timeline leading up to the year 2003 -- which was when they were supposed to launch a manned mission to Mars! And then everything fell apart....because the funding was cut back as soon as Soviets pulled back from their commitments. The space race turned out to be just an extension of the arms race!

Now, if they come up with a better, more cost-effective transport into space, maybe someone will get working on building that lunar colony! Although, the way things are going today, it's more likely to be China or India setting up the lunar colonies, than the USA.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

October 29th, 2010 "Star Trails and the Captain's Ghost"

Very cool picture....

APOD: 2010 October 29 - Star Trails and the Captain s Ghost

The above picture is of a large ship, but it reminded me of a wee boat that landed on our beach in Bunbeg, Co. Donegal, Ireland. The sea would come in twice a day and flood the cove....ha...ha...nutters would drive their car onto the strand, and then race out to get their cars back on land....

Here's a picture of this lovely area not too far from my Dad's home...

Attached files
recovering conservative

Believe it or not that detailed image of the Sun was taken with a backyard telescope! Bad Astronomer -- Phil Plait features some other pictures of the Sun, taken by Alan Friedman, who used a special filter that blocks out most of the light from the photosphere, that would let light from the chromosphere through. If you click the same image on the Bad Astronomy page, a new window will open to Friedman's page, which has a larger, more detailed picture; and if you'd like to buy a large print, you can click the link at the bottom of the page where this and his other astrophotos can be purchased.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

That is a very cool picture RC...kinda looks like a well used ball that kids play with:wah:

That's wonderful that you can take pictures with a telescope.

Thank you for posting the pic:-6
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

recovering conservative;1341915 wrote:

Believe it or not that detailed image of the Sun was taken with a backyard telescope! Bad Astronomer -- Phil Plait features some other pictures of the Sun, taken by Alan Friedman, who used a special filter that blocks out most of the light from the photosphere, that would let light from the chromosphere through. If you click the same image on the Bad Astronomy page, a new window will open to Friedman's page, which has a larger, more detailed picture; and if you'd like to buy a large print, you can click the link at the bottom of the page where this and his other astrophotos can be purchased.

Excellent photo. Another pic on the site makes the sun look like a lambswool rug.
recovering conservative

Kathy Ellen;1341922 wrote: That is a very cool picture RC...kinda looks like a well used ball that kids play with:wah:

That's wonderful that you can take pictures with a telescope.

Thank you for posting the pic:-6

Your welcome! The first thought I had, when I clicked the high resolution pic on Alan Friedman's site, was why bother chasing total eclipses anymore, if a good quality backyard telescope is capable of getting pictures of the Sun's corona, and solar flares!

Here's a high resolution closeup of the top portion of that picture of the Sun, showing several large solar flares shooting out as far as 50,000 km.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I have to keep reminding myself just how big the sun actually is. Especially while looking at those photos.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

OpenMind;1342024 wrote: I have to keep reminding myself just how big the sun actually is. Especially while looking at those photos.

I've heard that you could fit 1 million Earth's in the sun.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

November 4th, 2010 "Night Lights"

This picture fascinates me. I would love to be sitting in the ISS looking down on all the bright lights along the Gulf Coast states.

I saw the ISS fly over my home the other night. It still takes my breath away to see this ship:-4

Explanation: Constellations of lights sprawl across this night scene, but they don't belong in the skies of planet Earth. Instead, the view looks down from the International Space Station as it passed over the United States along the northern Gulf Coast on October 29. A Russian Soyuz spacecraft is docked in the foreground. Behind its extended solar panels, some 360 kilometers below, are the recognizable city lights of New Orleans. Looking east along the coast to the top of the frame finds Mobile, Alabama while Houston city lights stand out to the west, toward the bottom. North (left) of New Orleans, a line of lights tracing central US highway I55 connect to Jackson, Mississippi and Memphis, Tennessee. Of course, the lights follow the population centers, but not everyone lives on planet Earth all the time these days. November 2nd marked the first decade of continuous human presence in space on board the International Space Station.

Attached files
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

November 14th, 2010 "Multiverses: Do Other Universes Exist?"

APOD: 2010 November 14 - Multiverses: Do Other Universes Exist?

A very cool picture for Truthbringer...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

November 17th, 2010 "Frosted Leaf Orion"

This is a beautiful picture of picturesque frosted leaf before a beautiful sky.

APOD: 2010 November 17 - Frosted Leaf Orion
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

That photo of the leaf and the stars would make a lovely card for the season, Kathy.

I think multiverses are quite feasible as a concept. Conditions in each could be quite different. For instance, different dimensions may be more dominant than others.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

OpenMind;1345019 wrote: That photo of the leaf and the stars would make a lovely card for the season, Kathy.

I think multiverses are quite feasible as a concept. Conditions in each could be quite different. For instance, different dimensions may be more dominant than others.

Hello OpenMind,

I love your idea!!! I think that I will make this picture in a card.

Hope you and your wee one are well....Sending you best wishes.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

October 28th, 2010 "Anticrepuscular Rays Over Colorado"

APOD: 2010 November 28 - Anticrepuscular Rays Over Colorado

Gorgeous rays over Colorado:-6

Anticrepuscular Rays Over Colorado

Credit & Copyright: John Britton

Explanation: What's happening over the horizon? Although the scene may appear somehow supernatural, nothing more unusual is occurring than a setting Sun and some well placed clouds. Pictured above are anticrepuscular rays. To understand them, start by picturing common crepuscular rays that are seen any time that sunlight pours though scattered clouds. Now although sunlight indeed travels along straight lines, the projections of these lines onto the spherical sky are great circles. Therefore, the crepuscular rays from a setting (or rising) sun will appear to re-converge on the other side of the sky. At the anti-solar point 180 degrees around from the Sun, they are referred to as anticrepuscular rays. Pictured above is a particularly striking set of anticrepuscular rays photographed in 2001 from a moving car just outside of Boulder, Colorado, USA.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

November 30th, 2010 "A Supercell Thundercloud over Montana"

What a beautiful picture!

APOD: 2010 November 30 - A Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud Over Montana
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

My god. You can feel the power of that beast.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

December 5th, 2010 "Moonrise Through Mauna Kea's Shadow"

What an absolutely gorgeous picture...

APOD: 2010 December 5 - Moonrise Through Mauna Keas Shadow
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

That is beautiful Kathy Ellen.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

ZAP;1346367 wrote: That is beautiful Kathy Ellen.

I love pictures like this also Zap.

How are you?
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1346369 wrote: I love pictures like this also Zap.

How are you?

I'm fine KE. Thanks for asking. And thanks for all the absolutely gorgeous photos that you post. I love them all. I have a pastel of Mauna Kea hanging in my bedroom. Nope I lied. I just checked and it's Kilauea erupting and the second one is Kiluaea also. I guess I'll have to get a print of Mauna Kea, now. :)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Kathy Ellen;1346364 wrote: December 5th, 2010 "Moonrise Through Mauna Kea's Shadow"

What an absolutely gorgeous picture...

APOD: 2010 December 5 - Moonrise Through Mauna Keas Shadow

Wow. That is amazing. It's like a picture postcard.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

December 11th, 2010 "Meteor in the Desert Sky"

Maybe we'll see some Geminid meteors this weekend.

APOD: 2010 December 11 - Meteor in the Desert Sky

Meteor in the Desert Sky

Image Credit & Copyright: Wally Pacholka (AstroPics.com, TWAN)

Explanation: Created as planet Earth sweeps through dusty debris from mysterious, asteroid-like, 3200 Phaethon, the annual Geminid Meteor Shower should be the best meteor shower of the year. The Geminids are predicted to peak on the night of December 13/14, but you can start watching for Geminid meteors this weekend. The best viewing is after midnight in a dark, moonless sky, with the shower's radiant constellation Gemini well above the horizon - a situation that favors skygazers in the northern hemisphere. In this picture from the 2009 Geminid shower, a bright meteor with a greenish tinge flashes through the sky over the Mojave Desert near Barstow, California, USA. Recognizable in the background are bright stars in the northern asterism known as the Big Dipper, framing the meteor streak.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here's a link to the Geminids meteor showers that can be seen in the northern hemisphere.

Geminid Meteor Shower Peaks Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010 | StarDate Online

Attached files
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

December 17th, 2010 "A Meteor Moment"

What a lovely picture!!!

APOD: 2010 December 17 - A Meteor Moment

A Meteor Moment

Image Credit & Copyright: Amir Hossein Abolfath (TWAN)

Explanation: Intensely bright, this fireball meteor flashed through Tuesday's cold, clear, early morning skies over the Karkas Mountains in central Iran, near the peak of the annual Geminid Meteor Shower. To capture the meteor moment and wintery night skyscape, the photographer's camera was fixed to a tripod, its shutter open for about 1.5 minutes. During that time, the multitude of stars slowly traced short, arcing trails through the sky, a reflection of planet Earth's daily rotation on its axis. The meteor's brilliant dash through the scene was brief, though. Changing color as it went, it also left a reddish swirl of hot, glowing gas near the center of its path. The mountains appear in silhouette against the steady glow of distant city lights.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

That is a stunning photo, Kathy. 1.5 seconds. Just goes to show how fast this ball is turning.

I have been taken by a very large and bright star in our south-eastern morning sky. I greets me very morning as I leave for work. It is so large, I reckon it must be a planet. I've viewed it now for the last two months.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

OpenMind;1347199 wrote: That is a stunning photo, Kathy. 1.5 seconds. Just goes to show how fast this ball is turning.

I have been taken by a very large and bright star in our south-eastern morning sky. I greets me very morning as I leave for work. It is so large, I reckon it must be a planet. I've viewed it now for the last two months.

Hello OpenMind:-6

You're looking at the planet Jupiter which has been visible for a few months. It's beautiful, isn't it? I say hello to the planet every morning...:-6

Bez had the same question...

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/space ... ll-me.html

Bright star in south on December 2010 evenings? It's the planet Jupiter | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

We're having a full lunar eclipse of the Moon this Monday in North America and the eastern Pacific Ocean....Should be lovely to watch. I'll be watching....who else?

Total Lunar Eclipse – December 20-21, 2010

December 16, 2010 | NASA

“A total eclipse of the moon will begin on December 20 or December 21 – depending upon your location. In the eastern US the eclipse will begin shortly after midnight. On the west coast it will begin shortly after 9:00 PM. The moon will appear red-orange in color during totality. The entire eclipse will be visible from North America and the eastern Pacific Ocean.” Quoted from NASA’s December 2010 sky map.

Attached files
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Thanks for the info, Kathy. But i'm seeing this star in the morning when I leave for work. Definitely not in the evening.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Kathy Ellen;1347281 wrote: Hello OpenMind:-6

You're looking at the planet Jupiter which has been visible for a few months. It's beautiful, isn't it? I say hello to the planet every morning...:-6

Bez had the same question...

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/space ... ll-me.html

Bright star in south on December 2010 evenings? It's the planet Jupiter | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

Interesting.

Here, Jupiter is high in the night sky. Usually a few points south of directly overhead about 10:00 PM.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Maybe you're seeing Venus....

Check out this link....

Planets To See In The Sky Tonight | astronomycentral.co.uk
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Here is a pretty cool site.

Astroviewer Sky map
- DH Lawrence
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Kathy Ellen;1347495 wrote: Maybe you're seeing Venus....

Check out this link....

Planets To See In The Sky Tonight | astronomycentral.co.uk

Yes. That very much seems to fit what I see. I also say parts of the lunar eclipse on my way to work this morning. The moon seems to be quite close to us at the moment.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

December 20th, 2010 "A Lunar Eclipse on Solstice Day"

APOD: 2010 December 20 - A Lunar Eclipse on Solstice Day
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

December 24th, 2010 "Star Trails in the North"

APOD: 2010 December 24 - Star Trails in the North

Star Trails in the North

Image Credit & Copyright: P-M Hedén (Clear Skies, TWAN)

Explanation: Pointing skyward, the wall of this ruined Viking church still stands after a thousand winters, near the town of Vallentuna, Sweden. The time exposure records the scene on December 14th as stars leave graceful arcing trails during a long night, reflecting planet Earth's daily rotation on its axis. The Earth's axis points toward Polaris, the North Star, near the center of the concentric trails. Welcomed by skygazers on this winter's night, a bright meteor from the annual Geminid meteor shower also flashes through the frame. The meteor cuts across the star trails just above the lower church wall. Contributing to the beautiful composition, meteor streak and church apex both gesture toward the North Celestial Pole.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Superb pictures, Kathy.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

December 26th, 2010 "Snowy Orion over Snowy Ireland"

WOW, it's lovely to see a Donegal man's picture posted on the NASA Astronomy site...

APOD: 2010 December 26 - Sideways Orion Over Snowy Ireland

Sideways Orion Over Snowy Ireland

Credit & Copyright: Brendan Alexander (Donegal Skies)

Explanation: Orion always comes up sideways ... and was caught in the act earlier this month by over a snowy landscape in Donegal, Ireland. To compose this serene picture, the photographer found a picturesque setting to the east, waited until after sunset, and then momentarily lit the foreground with a flashlight. The three bright stars in Orion's belt stand in a nearly vertical line above the snow covered road at the bottom. Hanging from his belt, the stars and nebulae of the Hunter's sword are visible lower and to the right. Yellow-orange Betelgeuse is the brightest star on the image left. As winter progresses in Earth's northern hemisphere, Orion will rise earlier and so appear continually higher in the sky at sunset.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

WOW, my astronomy thread has over 85,000 views...amazing!!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I think it is one of the coolest threads here.
- DH Lawrence
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

I have never seen Orion as close as that.

What a fantastic photo.

the wonders of the universe.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

LarsMac;1348406 wrote: I think it is one of the coolest threads here.

Wow...thanks Lars:-6

I also love this thread as it allows us to peek into unknown territories and helps us to explore the unknown.

Hopefully, one day, we'll meet the 'unknown.'

What do you think??? Would you like to meet the unknown???
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

OpenMind;1348429 wrote: I have never seen Orion as close as that.

What a fantastic photo.

the wonders of the universe.

Hi OpenMind:-6

Orion is beautiful, isn't it:-6

I thought the picture was especially beautiful because a young, Donegal man took this picture...And he took the picture in Donegal.......wooohooo. You must visit there one day Roger. You'll love Donegal, and I'll meet ya there when you visit!!!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Kathy Ellen;1348490 wrote: Wow...thanks Lars:-6

I also love this thread as it allows us to peek into unknown territories and helps us to explore the unknown.

Hopefully, one day, we'll meet the 'unknown.'

What do you think??? Would you like to meet the unknown???

I meet the unknown nearly everyday.

The more I learn, the more I find there is to learn.
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

LarsMac;1348496 wrote: I meet the unknown nearly everyday.

The more I learn, the more I find there is to learn.

Helllloooo...wahcha sayin...cop out answer...

You're an intelligent man, and your thoughts are important to me.

Would you like to meet someone from another galazy?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Absolutely!!!
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

December 28th, 2010 "Skylights over Libya"

Very cool picture....looks like a UFO on the horizon.

Love how you can move your mouse over the sky, and the constellations appear.

APOD: 2010 December 28 - Skylights Over Libya

Skylights Over Libya

Credit & Copyright: Tunç Tezel (TWAN)

Explanation: Sometimes the sky itself seems to glow. Usually, this means you are seeing a cloud reflecting sunlight or moonlight. If the glow appears as a faint band of light running across the whole sky, you are probably seeing the combined light from the billions of stars that compose our Milky Way Galaxy. Such a glow is visible rising diagonally up to the right in the above image. If the glow is seen coming up from the horizon just before sunrise or just after sunset, however, you might be seeing something called zodiacal light. Pictured rising diagonally up to the left in the above image, zodiacal light is just sunlight reflected by tiny dust particles orbiting in our Solar System. Many of these particles were ejected by comets. The above image was taken just after sunset earlier this month from Ras Lanuf, Libya.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Something is wrong with this view count:(

This thread had about 85,000 hits on December 26 and now...3 days later it has almost 95,000 hits. How can it jump 10,000 hits in 3 days?
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Kathy Ellen;1348545 wrote: Something is wrong with this view count:(

This thread had about 85,000 hits on December 26 and now...3 days later it has almost 95,000 hits. How can it jump 10,000 hits in 3 days?

No, there is nothing wrong with the view count Kathy Ellen. At the bottom of the page you'll see a "linkback." That is what made the view count go up.

Linkback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Mustang;1348601 wrote: No, there is nothing wrong with the view count Kathy Ellen. At the bottom of the page you'll see a "linkback." That is what made the view count go up.

Linkback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not exactly sure what you mean Mustang.

So, if I put a link onto my astronomy thread, the author's site links it back to me so he/she has a record of who's linking his/her site. But, how does that add up to 10,000 view counts in 3 days?

Thanks Mustang:-6
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Kathy Ellen;1348605 wrote: I'm not exactly sure what you mean Mustang.

So, if I put a link onto my astronomy thread, the author's site links it back to me so he/she has a record of who's linking his/her site. But, how does that add up to 10,000 view counts in 3 days?

Thanks Mustang:-6

You got it!

This is the info offered by the linkback. The date and the number of times it was viewed, follows:

28.12.2010-3734

27.12.2010-3731

26.12.2010-3289

10,754 total, to date.

Return to “Space and Astronomy”