1928 Time Traveller – Caught on Behind the Scenes Footage from a Charlie Chaplin Film

Discuss topics ranging from UFO's to Unexplained Phenomena.
ForumGarden

1928 Time Traveller – Caught on Behind the Scenes Footage from a Charlie Chaplin Film

Post by ForumGarden »

Have you seen this?

Let's discuss! What is this lady / man holding and doing? A cell phone or ?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Looks like a man to me what is he hold and talking into not sure Happy Halloween. !!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Verry interesting.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

The "cell phone" is an unfortunate description, "walkie-talkie" would be better, it doesn't need the infrastructure for it to work. And no, they didn't have one in 1928.

Fortunately I can prove that it's not a time traveller. Here we go...

If there were time travellers as far back as 1928 but they're not common knowledge then that can only be because they want to remain undetected by the public between 1928 and now.

This clip, if it were of a time traveller using a walkie talkie, would be a dead give-away. So someone else would have gone back in time to the film studio labs on the night the clip was developed, and destroyed it. So that it wouldn't appear on a DVD in 2010 and expose the existence of time travel.

But they didn't.

So there are no time travellers and the clip doesn't show one. QED.

Which leaves us with the puzzle of what she's actually doing. I've done what she's doing when I've had earache, right down to the talking to myself.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

If you look real close it looks like William Shatner. Watch the lips " Beam me up Scotty."
koan

Post by koan »

I've seen people talk to themselves like that many times. It does appear she's holding something but it's an odd grasp. Most people don't hold their phones that tightly... plus who on earth would be able to talk on the other end of the phone? There are no airwave capabilities to transmit the signal at the point in time she's in. I think she's just holding a random object and pretending it's a phone. Maybe she's talking to God LOL
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1341633 wrote: The "cell phone" is an unfortunate description, "walkie-talkie" would be better, it doesn't need the infrastructure for it to work. And no, they didn't have one in 1928.

Fortunately I can prove that it's not a time traveller. Here we go...

If there were time travellers as far back as 1928 but they're not common knowledge then that can only be because they want to remain undetected by the public between 1928 and now.

This clip, if it were of a time traveller using a walkie talkie, would be a dead give-away. So someone else would have gone back in time to the film studio labs on the night the clip was developed, and destroyed it. So that it wouldn't appear on a DVD in 2010 and expose the existence of time travel.

But they didn't.

So there are no time travellers and the clip doesn't show one. QED.

Which leaves us with the puzzle of what she's actually doing. I've done what she's doing when I've had earache, right down to the talking to myself.

By the time they can actually time travel, they already know the consequences of the particular event being discovered, and know that going back to dispose of it would be the thing that would cause problems, and "change" history, as it were, so they simply let it run it's course.

They don't care if people in 2010 know about time travel.

I have a copy of that same DVD package, so will have to go check it out when I get home.

I suspect, though, that by the time Time travel really works, they will mave better communication devices than what this person appears to be using.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I'd say its most likely a person shielding their face from the camera and talking to whoever is standing near the camera which we can't see. That would explain why the person stops and turns toward the camera, possibly checking to see if she is out of the view of the lens.

Or it could be a person behaving strangely. People do do that.

Its just too much of a stretch for the guy in the video to say with so much certainty that it is indeed a phone. NO it isn't.

I have never seen anyone hold a cell phone like that. But I have witnessed people holding something like a bunched up scarf in that fashion.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1341639 wrote: I'd say its most likely a person shielding their face from the camera and talking to whoever is standing near the camera which we can't see. That would explain why the person stops and turns toward the camera, possibly checking to see if she is out of the view of the lens.

Or it could be a person behaving strangely. People do do that.

Its just too much of a stretch for the guy in the video to say with so much certainty that it is indeed a phone. NO it isn't.

I have never seen anyone hold a cell phone like that.

People see what they want to see. I think it was the USS Enterprises way of having a scavenger hunt. As you see Dr. McCoy went past the horse painted as a Zebra, where as Capt Kirk Spotted it and called it in.
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

lol. What the hell is that guy wearing?

I'm assuming the director of the video is dead? If they were alive, they might be able to give us more info on the person. Usually film sets are blocked off and even the people that walk past the camera are hand picked. So....if the director of the video was a strange guy kinda like Charlie was, perhaps he had that guy decked out in those clothes (which clearly look like they are straight from a film set closet), and then had the guy/girl walk past the camera holding a prop to their ear while speaking.

Also....the idea of a portable phone was something I am sure many people were thinking about at the time. If the director thought it would make for a good backround piece, perhaps he decided to throw it in there for "artistic reasons". I mean people did all kinds of strange things back then as they do today.
Link removed by moderator
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

Also on a side note. People are so obsessed with the idea of time travel. This will never be possible for the simple reason that TIME DOES NOT ACTUALLY EXIST.

Time is an illusion that we fall under because of the conditions here on planet Earth. I have always said, if you could go into the blackness of outerspace, way into the outskirts where there was nothing except for you and that "emptyness", than what time would it be if you no longer had any device to try and keep it? If you couldn't watch the Sun come up in the morning and Moon rise in the evening? What time would it be for you then? Nothing but the complete black darkness. There is no time in a place like that. The truth is that everything is happening at the exact same time. There is no beginning point, and there is no actual end point. It's one, continuous, explosion/expansion of the same exact thing. Energy.
spot

Post by spot »

It's a newsreel clip, TB. It wasn't cast, it's not on a film set, it's a record of an event across which the curious woman walked in the way passing pedestrians do during newsclips. As for what she's wearing, to me it looks entirely normal for the period, for someone born in the 1870s.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

spot;1341783 wrote: It's a newsreel clip, TB. It wasn't cast, it's not on a film set, it's a record of an event across which the curious woman walked in the way passing pedestrians do during newsclips. As for what she's wearing, to me it looks entirely normal for the period, for someone born in the 1870s.

I don't know I was going to say they were dressed like someone wearing a witch costume on Holloween but I'll go with what you said. I thought he held up a film and said it was a film? I guess I wasn't listening good enough. Had a lot on my mind.
koan

Post by koan »

Is it just me or is the lack of chance of getting a "good signal" not a factor in ridding the illusion of a cell phone? Even a time traveler would need a tower for signal transmission, no?
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

TruthBringer;1341784 wrote: I don't know I was going to say they were dressed like someone wearing a witch costume on Holloween but I'll go with what you said. I thought he held up a film and said it was a film? I guess I wasn't listening good enough. Had a lot on my mind.

Not to mention that the title of this thread says "Charlie Chaplin Film"
spot

Post by spot »

koan;1341785 wrote: Is it just me or is the lack of chance of getting a "good signal" not a factor in ridding the illusion of a cell phone? Even a time traveler would need a tower for signal transmission, no?

Not if it's a point-to-point communications device. Calling it a cell-phone is plain daft, of course there was no infrastructure to provide a signal. But walkie-talkies don't use that, they just talk to each other.

Radio had been around for thirty years by 1928, people were transmitting 2,000 miles a decade earlier, but I'm quite sure nobody was carrying a two-way transceiver on their person - the only amplification device was the valve and the only power source was the dry cell or lead acid batteries, either of which would have been heavy.
spot

Post by spot »

TruthBringer;1341786 wrote: Not to mention that the title of this thread says "Charlie Chaplin Film"

To ignore factual reality by believing it to be otherwise does not mean that a person is removed from that reality. It only means that they suffer it ignorantly.
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

spot;1341791 wrote: To ignore factual reality by believing it to be otherwise does not mean that a person is removed from that reality. It only means that they suffer it ignorantly.

lol. Stabbed by my own spear.
TruthBringer

Post by TruthBringer »

By the way as I'm sure Spot will agree (because we agree on almost everything :)~)

There is no yesterday. No today. No tomorrow. There is only what we are all experiencing together at the exact same time as NOW. What is happening to us now. The only time each of us appears to disconnect from this reality is when we fall asleep. Only then do we appear to have our own actual individual separation from the NOW that we all experience when we are awake. But the past-present-future really can be summed up as what is taking place as right now and while we are all fully conscious of our bodily senses.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

" of course it isnt a am/fm radio, becuse obviously it's 1928"

The irony of such a statement...LOL
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

What I see as the most obvious flaw in this is that Clarke assumes cell phones will remain as they currently are in any future event of time travel. My guess is that this person would have been wearing one of those funny looking Borg like earpieces people now use and the visuals that cell phones now include will most likely be in a pair of glasses or something similar. The idea is that all this will be hands-free by time the unlikely event time travel ever occurs.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Or, indeed, that they'll still bother to talk when they can just think messages at each other. With the appropriate hardware implant, obviously. Personally I'm eager with anticipation, wire me up.

The problem with philosophical interpretations of Time which ignore its demonstrable physical properties (physical illusions if you'd rather, but that doesn't mean they can't be very precisely and repeatably measured) is that the same mental trick can be performed on all the dimensions. It's equally true that there's no such thing as distance, that we all exist at the same place, that we only perceive separateness in order to construct a stage on which we can temporarily distinguish our selves. It's perceptually apparent in rare (and often chemically induced) mental states but it doesn't stop us sitting on a plane when we want to get from New York to Dublin. Whatever the equivalent device is for getting from 2050 to 1928 and back is no more or less illusory than the plane. Except that it's impossible.

In point of fact I don't think it's impossible at all though it's rule-breaking, I think every elementary particle not only has attributes which manifest themselves not only as mass and charge and spin but also as dimensional location - the particle isn't actually anywhere, it just thinks it is. A device which changes those attributes directly would constitute both a transporter and a time machine.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Clarke never said it was a "cell phone".

He suggested "mobile phone"

Which, of course, by today;s standards, infers "Cell" but a satphone is mobile, and any other such device could be referred to as a mobile.

Of course we tend to filter our observations by the known technology of our own time period.

So obviously it was something entirely different than what we assume.

The person is doing something perfectly normal for 1928 - which is why no one else seems to have taken notice of her - and we filter the action through common thinking of our day.

Or it was some really clever editing that someone did to the DVD, just to screw with people.
- DH Lawrence
koan

Post by koan »

I'm not convinced she's holding anything. It's black and white film with hard light coming from the side. It's indistinguishable from just a shadow caused by her hand.

The only odd thing, imo, is that the man in front doesn't seem concerned that there's a crazy lady behind him. There's likely off camera stuff that would have been revealing, like a person she's talking to. She could easily have been looking for something she dropped or lost, hence why she walked to the other side of the zebra thing and turned to look. Also, someone could have hit her in the head and she was wandering away with her hand to her temple saying "you crazy bastard, what did you do that for?"
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Thats funny, The first thing I thought of was she was hit in the side of the head with something and was rubbing it say "son of a bitch that hurt, what the hell was that all about?" Or " Damn my ear hurts."

Return to “Paranormal Science”