Baby Carrots - How safe are they really?

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I received this in an email today, and felt that it should be passed on. You may have seen this before, but if not, then it may be a timely warning ?

I think you will find this interesting. No more "Baby" Carrots for me.

From the Department of Life Education :

Baby Carrots

The following is information from a farmer who grows and packages carrots for IGA, METRO, LOBLAWS, etc

The small cocktail (baby) carrots you buy in small plastic bags are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots which are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots - most people probably know this already.

What you may not know and should know is the following:

Once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them. (this is the same chlorine used in your pool).

Since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine.

You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots. This is the chlorine which resurfaces.. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables?

Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer. I thought this was worth passing on. Pass it on to as many people as possible in hopes of informing them where these carrots come from and how they are processed.

I used to buy those baby carrots for vegetable dips I know that I will never buy them again!!!!

Confirmed by Snopes

1. snopes.com: Baby Carrots ....

Are baby carrots made from deformed full-sized carrots that have been soaked in chlorine?

...Carrot and Shtick Claim: Baby carrots are made from deformed full-sized carrots that have been permeated with chlorine. Example: [Collected via....

...carrots that you buy in grocery stores come from deformed crooked big carrots. They are put through a machine to become small cocktail carrots. This part...

....I think after reading this we will all start making our own carrot sticks out of fresh carrots and keep them in the fridge (a few at a time), right?...

Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:42:31 GMT snopes.com: Baby Carrots
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ForumGarden

Post by ForumGarden »

For real? This was very informative. Thanks!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Yikes I will throw mine away. I always wondered what that white film was.??
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Dont your baby carrots have skin and stalks on them? does someone have a pic of these baby carrots?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1341491 wrote: Dont your baby carrots have skin and stalks on them? does someone have a pic of these baby carrots?

Ours certainly do - and they're reet taisty too :-)
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

lovely and sweet arent they? YUM

seems to me you guys have nothing to worry about anyway .

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddr ... arrots.htm
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

No these are the one you buy in plastic bag in the store. The ones right out of the ground are the best. These are cut from other parts of carrots.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

It's a vege....why is it processed ? according to that link I put up you won't want to eat packaged salads either. Or any other fruit for that matter . I'm going to look into this and see if they wash the veges here the same way.

The ones right out of the ground are the best.

Yeppers
Maristar87

Post by Maristar87 »

That's really interesting, I did have about a quarter of a bag of baby carrots once and I couldn't stop vomiting for hours. It felt like I had food poisoning. I've never been able to eat them since.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thank God someone finally has the balls to bring this out in the open.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Nomie only you can make me laugh out loud good to see you..!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1341422 wrote: Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer.There we are - that's the sting, there had to be a sting in it somewhere. No, Chlorine isn't carcinogenic, it isn't a very well-known carcinogen, it doesn't cause cancer in anything anywhere ever not even slightly and never has since the dawn of history.

Check, for example, http://potency.berkeley.edu/chempages/CHLORINE.html

Do you see at the top? "no positive no positive no positive no positive no positive no positive"?

And "If all experimental results in the CDPB are negative in a sex-species group, 'no positive' appears."?

Where did you get "Chlorine is a very well-known carcinogen, which causes Cancer" from. I'm trying to imagine the scale of the law-suits against public swimming baths and water companies in general if it were true.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1358369 wrote: Thank God someone finally has the balls to bring this out in the open.

omg.......you make me laugh!:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
yaaarrrgg

Post by yaaarrrgg »

I think the last line of the email was lost.

* research funded by the national chocolate bar association.

:)

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”