Why food aid should be bought locally.

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Why Food Aid Should Be Bought Locally, Not Shipped Halfway Around the World | | AlterNet
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Some valid points.

It's not just about the food: it's also about helping the stabilize local economy the food is being distributed to.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

OpenMind;1339215 wrote: Why Food Aid Should Be Bought Locally, Not Shipped Halfway Around the World | | AlterNet

Wherever possible aid supplies should be bought locally - anything less does more damage to the local economy than the aid does good.

That being said, it is not always possible and, where the aid is desperate, supply from an outside source is better than no supply at all.
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

Me and my wife have had a garden for a second year now and one thing is for sure, the produce is much better in quality than what you get in the store. I've lost 20 pounds in 18 months (I haven't even tried) by eating more of these veggies and lean meats and making my own bread ect. 90% of what we buy is local.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Scrat;1339449 wrote: Me and my wife have had a garden for a second year now and one thing is for sure, the produce is much better in quality than what you get in the store. I've lost 20 pounds in 18 months (I haven't even tried) by eating more of these veggies and lean meats and making my own bread ect. 90% of what we buy is local.

Excellent.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Scrat;1339449 wrote: Me and my wife have had a garden for a second year now and one thing is for sure, the produce is much better in quality than what you get in the store. I've lost 20 pounds in 18 months (I haven't even tried) by eating more of these veggies and lean meats and making my own bread ect. 90% of what we buy is local.

That's why I raise and grow my own food.

Vege garden was put in yesterday ....potatoes, capsicum, corn, white oniions. cantelope, tomatoes, pumpkin butter beans. snow peas, strawberries, cucumber, garlic and a host of herbs.

I raise chickens (both for eggs and meat) and two pigs. My lamb comes from friends farms. Bread I'll start again pretty soon ...just can't seem to get it right.

What really pisses me off though are supermarkets that throw all their produce out or choose to give it to the pig farmers. Tehy even lock their bins now so the local kids can't get free food. That disgusts me.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

fuzzywuzzy;1339542 wrote: That's why I raise and grow my own food.

Vege garden was put in yesterday ....potatoes, capsicum, corn, white oniions. cantelope, tomatoes, pumpkin butter beans. snow peas, strawberries, cucumber, garlic and a host of herbs.

I raise chickens (both for eggs and meat) and two pigs. My lamb comes from friends farms. Bread I'll start again pretty soon ...just can't seem to get it right.

What really pisses me off though are supermarkets that throw all their produce out or choose to give it to the pig farmers. Tehy even lock their bins now so the local kids can't get free food. That disgusts me.

If it's gone past the sell by date, they don't have any other choice. Here, they are not even allowed to give it away. They probably have to lock the bins in case someone takes and eats something that makes them ill and subsequently sues the shop.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”