Dos and Don'ts With Lava Rock Plants

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
koan

Post by koan »

Do: Use bottled water to avoid getting white fungus on the rock.

Don't: Believe the ill-informed plant store owner if they tell you to keep the rock with water in the base all the time.

That's all I got for now.

Very cool plants though... if I get rid of the damn white fungus :mad:
spot

Post by spot »

I'm trying to work out why you think bottled water is a preventive for white fungus. The white fungus is, presumably, a mineral deposit? Bottled isn't hard water but it's not particularly soft either. Rainwater's mineral free, as is distilled. Besides, you're in the right part of the world to keep a full glass of rainwater outside your window.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Post by koan »

spot;1333684 wrote: I'm trying to work out why you think bottled water is a preventive for white fungus. The white fungus is, presumably, a mineral deposit? Bottled isn't hard water but it's not particularly soft either. Rainwater's mineral free, as is distilled. Besides, you're in the right part of the world to keep a full glass of rainwater outside your window.

I think it because I read it, haven't tried it yet but the sky is ripe for your rainwater solution so I might never find out if evian does the trick.
koan

Post by koan »

I took one of the plants back to the shop to show her what was happening, all of the other rocks had a bit of white on them as well. She said it has to be in a deep container with water that almost covers the rock. That should fix them as the foliage on the plants is still healthy looking.

She said I can bring them back if the water solution doesn't fix them in a week or two.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

koan;1333679 wrote:

Don't: Believe the ill-informed plant store owner if they tell you to keep the rock with water in the base all the time.

Are you NOT supposed to keep it in a container filled with water??
koan

Post by koan »

as it turns out, yes.

It looked like they might be getting too much water, causing some sort of fungus growth but I'm now told it wasn't enough water... so the original advice was apparently faulty in that she told me I could keep in the original dish they sold it in and just keep a 1/4 inch of water around it. The new advice is that the white was from the rock drying out too much and it should be immersed.

I'm not sure if that'll solve the problem yet or not.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

koan;1334448 wrote: as it turns out, yes.

It looked like they might be getting too much water, causing some sort of fungus growth but I'm now told it wasn't enough water... so the original advice was apparently faulty in that she told me I could keep in the original dish they sold it in and just keep a 1/4 inch of water around it. The new advice is that the white was from the rock drying out too much and it should be immersed.

I'm not sure if that'll solve the problem yet or not.

Oh good! I thought it was something I did that halfway killed my anthurium, while my daughter's (which I bought at the same time) was flourishing. I took mine to her house so she could nurse it back to health.

Return to “Gardening Forum”