chronic problem with cat

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

I'm on a steroid assisted hiatus from dealing with my kitty. I'm looking to switch vets right now to find one who understands about caring for a pet but not being wealthy.

The cat is strictly indoors. She went into heat because I didn't get her to the vet in time to spay... due to personal trauma at the time. She started getting dry patches on her skin when she went into heat which I noticed because she was licking her legs all the time and it became quite raw. The problem didn't go away after she was spayed. She had a shot of antibiotics at the time to make sure it wasn't infected. And I had switched her food to limited ingredient allergy food while waiting for the spay appointment in case it was food sensitivity

I took her back to the vet (expressly telling them that I had extremely limited funds) at the end of the month because she was still licking her legs after the cone came off. They gave her more antibiotics and a shot of steroids as well as a full "advantage" treatment for fleas and worms and a different deworming treatment i gave her a few days later. After two days she seemed to not be overgrooming so the cone came off... for three weeks. The problem came back, the cone went back on, and I got her back to the vet a week later.

Third time in, a different vet every time, the new one suggested behavioural treatment so we put her on OCD medicine specifically for overgrooming, redid the flea treatment... despite no exposure to fleas... another shot of steroids but no antibiotics because she'd had two shots already the cone had kept her legs from getting too damaged and we didn't want to throw her bacterial balance off. And I bought a $70 phermone room atomizer for kitties that is supposed to de-stress them.

Three weeks later, the problem returns. At this point, I realise the only thing that has given her relief is the steroid shot. The vet keeps charging me for visits regarding the same problem and expecting me to pay for visits every three weeks. I expect more for my money so I tell them I need more than three weeks to recover from the bills so they can either give her another shot of steroids and pills I can give her after it wears off or I'll be forced to put her down rather than see her suffer. Pretty much walked in there after waiting for a callback all day with a virtual gun to the cats head saying "give me meds or the cat dies". So they gave me pills and told me I should save my pennies so I could afford a proper visit.

We're at about 5000 pennies in three months right now. Let's not get into how livid I am at the bloody receptionist for the gall it took to say that after I apologized for being "unlikeable" to ease the tension. It seems I'm the only who remembers that I've been for three visits already and apparently the only one who remembers the cat is a "she" and not a "he".

So that's why I'm switching vets.

Meanwhile, before getting to the steroid demands, I tried calamine lotion, neem oil products made for pets and, finally, hydrocortizone cream... while she had a cone on to keep her from licking. Though there were some improvements with the last, it was time to give her more relief and less fighting while I smeared stuff all over her hind half.

Advice?

I can't afford the $500 skin tests to find out if there are mites... are the mite treatments that bad that I can't just try them without testing??

I know it's not ringworm... I'd have it by now if it was.
Oscar Namechange

chronic problem with cat

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Koan... This may sound a crazy Idea but there Is a possibility the licking Is from boredom especially as she Is an Inside cat. The first thing I would do given every-thing that you have tried, Is get a new tiny Kitten. Cats especially the female variety have strong maternal Instincts and although she may resent the kitten at first, very soon, she may join In play and grooming the kitten. It sounds as If you have tried every-thing and this could be the solution. Vets are the same as Doctors and they can mis-diagnose.

Can I ask Koan... Is your Kitty left for long periods on her own? Does she have stimulation In the house such as toys and treat balls?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

I thought of getting another cat but the vet didn't recommend it.

I watched the last time to see if the skin was being aggravated by her or something causing it. It appears to be an allergy type reaction which remained active without the licking and could be a response to many things. I've gotten an ionized air purifier and now have a strict vacuuming and mopping regimen. Still have a couple of weeks before the shot wears off and we switch to oral steroids.
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

oh... the other thing is that the dry patches don't show up when she's on steroids which makes me think it's not mites... as the mites would keep eating.
Odie

chronic problem with cat

Post by Odie »

The dry patches sounds like it may be mites which is very painful to the cat, but it could also be an allergy.

I have two cats with allergys......which causes them to sneeze.

try googling: mites in cats -it will tell you symptoms and how to treat it.

if all else fails, google: pay a vet.

It's online vet advice you pay 15.00 for the answer only if it is correct and your happy with the answer.

I have used it a few times and its very helpful.
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

chronic problem with cat

koan;1333657 wrote: oh... the other thing is that the dry patches don't show up when she's on steroids which makes me think it's not mites... as the mites would keep eating.
If It was mites and had been going on this long, they would have eaten Into her by now rather than just leaving dry patches.

The only other thing I can suggest Is that she may be allergic to the detergent you wash your soft furnishings and cat bedding In. Has the vet suggested allergy tests? They can test for a range of products such as detergent.

Your Kitty's patches sound very similar to a dog I knew some years ago. His symptoms are almost Identical to your Kitty's and like you, his owners had him In and out of various vets desperate for the answer. In the end, the vet did an extensive range of allergy tests and they found the problem... He was highly allergic to Wheat based products In his processed food. They switched him to a boiled chicken only diet and he was Instantly cured. Is It possible It could be this? Sorry If I sound like an Idiot... I am just trying to help.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

the vet made it sound like they can only treat for mites if I get the skin test done. I can afford the treatment but not the testing... surely it can be done prophylactically.
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

oscar;1333661 wrote: If It was mites and had been going on this long, they would have eaten Into her by now rather than just leaving dry patches.

The only other thing I can suggest Is that she may be allergic to the detergent you wash your soft furnishings and cat bedding In. Has the vet suggested allergy tests? They can test for a range of products such as detergent.

Your Kitty's patches sound very similar to a dog I knew some years ago. His symptoms are almost Identical to your Kitty's and like you, his owners had him In and out of various vets desperate for the answer. In the end, the vet did an extensive range of allergy tests and they found the problem... He was highly allergic to Wheat based products In his processed food. They switched him to a boiled chicken only diet and he was Instantly cured. Is It possible It could be this? Sorry If I sound like an Idiot... I am just trying to help.

not idiotic at all. that's the first thing I did was switch her food and after four months... and a food change not being the instigator, I've eliminated food allergies from the equation.
Oscar Namechange

chronic problem with cat

koan;1333662 wrote: the vet made it sound like they can only treat for mites if I get the skin test done. I can afford the treatment but not the testing... surely it can be done prophylactically.

Do you have an animal charity In the US such as the RSPCA? We have orgs here such as the PDSA where yo just give a donation.
Oscar Namechange

chronic problem with cat

koan;1333663 wrote: not idiotic at all. that's the first thing I did was switch her food and after four months... and a food change not being the instigator, I've eliminated food allergies from the equation.
I just found this forum on the net where some-one has had the problem you have...Could be Interesting.

Cat Licking a bald spot - Cats - MedHelp
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

I talked to the pet food store owner and asked what he thought of the local vet and he said he considers them responsible for killing his dog... so... I'm going to check out the vet he goes to now. He said they're less chemical and really considerate with their visit fees.

Thanks for the link. The one who said it was a bladder problem sparked a future point of exploration. If I thought the skin test fees were worth the money I'd do it but I'm pretty convinced they'll come back with nada. At this point, I want to know why they can't just try the treatment. I've heard about lime dips and the only negative seems to be that it smells like rotten eggs.
Oscar Namechange

chronic problem with cat

koan;1333668 wrote: I talked to the pet food store owner and asked what he thought of the local vet and he said he considers them responsible for killing his dog... so... I'm going to check out the vet he goes to now. He said they're less chemical and really considerate with their visit fees.

Thanks for the link. The one who said it was a bladder problem sparked a future point of exploration. If I thought the skin test fees were worth the money I'd do it but I'm pretty convinced they'll come back with nada. At this point, I want to know why they can't just try the treatment. I've heard about lime dips and the only negative seems to be that it smells like rotten eggs.
Yes, the post about crystals In the bladder made sense to me also and the more I think about, cats and dogs so tend to lick an area of pain. I am thinking that If a cat or dog cuts their leg, they will lick It to help heal. If your Kitty is In pain from some Internal problem, It is perfectly plausible that she would lick hoping to relieve the pain and heal herself. Well worth a mention to the vet at least. The simple way would be an ultra scan but of course these are horrendously expensive.

Just an Idea... Would you vet accept a payment plan? Such as a small amount each month.... No harm In asking.
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

I have my dentist on a payment plan, my kid's university fund on a payment plan... if I can't pay for it now, I'm not prepared to pay for it. I'm prepared to keep her on steroids so that her life, if shorter, is at least a happy one. With the current shot in effect she's purring and happy and cuddly.
Oscar Namechange

chronic problem with cat

koan;1333672 wrote: I have my dentist on a payment plan, my kid's university fund on a payment plan... if I can't pay for it now, I'm not prepared to pay for it. I'm prepared to keep her on steroids so that her life, if shorter, is at least a happy one. With the current shot in effect she's purring and happy and cuddly.

Well, Hats off to you for doing all you have. Many dump pets when they get sick. Quality of life Is far more the Issue than quantity. You are doing the right thing imho.
koan

chronic problem with cat

Post by koan »

thanks. I think the hardest thing was having the secretary tell me to "save my pennies" like I was being irresponsible.

good suggestions, btw.

I'm taking a short break to make sure that I make clear decisions then taking her to the new vet so I'll report back if we have any success... maybe someone else searching for a solution will save themselves some pain and heartache by reading my plight.

Return to “Pet Advice Support”