Facebook

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
OpenMind

Facebook

Post by OpenMind »

oscar;1328893 wrote: Tell Arabella that Fred Is ok.... I feed and groom him for her every day and today I gave him a treat.

My pet called 'Brian Nomad' Is also doing well as Is my city called 'Nomad Town'.... :yh_rotfl

The kids love doing Petville when they are here so I have to keep the damn thing going.

Your fish are still alive as well Roger only because I feed them every day :yh_rotfl

Thanks for that Oscar.:yh_rotfl I wonder you find time to do anything else.:yh_rotfl
Tightwad

Facebook

Post by Tightwad »

THIS is why I won't use Facebook.............

Facebook is ready to tell the world where you are at all times | DVICE

Like I ,or anybody else, wants to be tracked all day every day.
Oscar Namechange

Facebook

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Tightwad;1329095 wrote: THIS is why I won't use Facebook.............

Facebook is ready to tell the world where you are at all times | DVICE

Like I ,or anybody else, wants to be tracked all day every day.

It is Scare-mongering.

You can only be located from facebook If you use their aps on an Ipod. If you are on a regular PC or laptop, this can not happen.

Yes, when you are on Facebook, your friends can see If you are on-line but It still Is not proof. My husband uses my profile to up-date my aps all the time but any-one looking would think It Is myself on-line. If you set the security settings, no-one but your friends can see you on-line.

To be totally sure, do not use facebook on an Ipod and do not lie about where you are.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Facebook

OpenMind;1328930 wrote: Thanks for that Oscar.:yh_rotfl I wonder you find time to do anything else.:yh_rotfl Now you know why I am still up at 2 am. :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
OpenMind

Facebook

Post by OpenMind »

oscar;1329100 wrote: Now you know why I am still up at 2 am. :wah:

I did find the games quite addictive. I had to wrench myself away because I was getting very little else done. Especially in the evenings after work.
Tightwad

Facebook

Post by Tightwad »

oscar;1329098 wrote: It is Scare-mongering.

You can only be located from facebook If you use their aps on an Ipod. If you are on a regular PC or laptop, this can not happen.

Yes, when you are on Facebook, your friends can see If you are on-line but It still Is not proof. My husband uses my profile to up-date my aps all the time but any-one looking would think It Is myself on-line. If you set the security settings, no-one but your friends can see you on-line.

To be totally sure, do not use facebook on an Ipod and do not lie about where you are.

Not to pick nits but if you have to do any of this then how private is your life anyway?
theia

Facebook

Post by theia »

OpenMind;1329108 wrote: I did find the games quite addictive. I had to wrench myself away because I was getting very little else done. Especially in the evenings after work.

farm town, now farmville...oh and some mindjolt games...evenings after work :wah:
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bryn Mawr

Facebook

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Tightwad;1329173 wrote: Not to pick nits but if you have to do any of this then how private is your life anyway?

At the point at which they changed my privacy settings to make my data more available I deleted my account and insisted that they deleted all the data they held about me.

That I had to fight with them to get them to do so is an indication of their lack of scruples.
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1329202 wrote: At the point at which they changed my privacy settings to make my data more available I deleted my account and insisted that they deleted all the data they held about me.

That I had to fight with them to get them to do so is an indication of their lack of scruples.

They changed your settings?

never heard that before.

you really had some uncalled problems with fb Bryn!
Life is just to short for drama.
Kathy Ellen

Facebook

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;1329302 wrote: They changed your settings?

never heard that before.

you really had some uncalled problems with fb Bryn!

Check this link out Odie....

How to fix Facebook's new privacy settings | Rafe's Radar - CNET News
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1329385 wrote: Check this link out Odie....

How to fix Facebook's new privacy settings | Rafe's Radar - CNET News

Thanks Kathy, I wonder why everyone wasn't notified?
Oscar Namechange

Facebook

Odie;1329387 wrote: Thanks Kathy, I wonder why everyone wasn't notified?
They were.
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Odie;1329387 wrote: Thanks Kathy, I wonder why everyone wasn't notified?

just realized why I wasn't notified Kathy.....I haven't had any notifications of any sort now for 3 months, I contacted fb and they said they are getting them on their end.

I have no idea why I haven't been getting them as my settings are correct, fb said to try it on someone else's computer, and I keep forgetting.

so it's been a hassle as I have to search and search to find comments.

I just checked the new fb settings and I have revised some.

thank you Kathy!:-6
Kathy Ellen

Facebook

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'm just not a big FB user...I just don't get it.

I deleted my 1st account as I kept getting befriended by my former students. My school frowns on FB, so I don't want any flak from them.

I've opened up a new account under a different name, one that my school doesn't know. I only opened a new account to keep in touch with my Irish rellys and 3 FG members who don't post here anymore.

I have a very addictive personality and don't need to get involved in farmville. Jeez, I'd be up all night worrying about getting the farm work done:wah:
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1329392 wrote: I'm just not a big FB user...I just don't get it.

I deleted my 1st account as I kept getting befriended by my former students. My school frowns on FB, so I don't want any flak from them.

I've opened up a new account under a different name, one that my school doesn't know. I only opened a new account to keep in touch with my Irish rellys and 3 FG members who don't post here anymore.

I have a very addictive personality and don't need to get involved in farmville. Jeez, I'd be up all night worrying about getting the farm work done:wah:

:yh_rotfl

I don't blame you there, you certainly don't need flak from students, you put up with that all year.:wah:

Great idea Kathy opening a new account where no one knows your name accept your friends and family from back home.

I was doing some stupid fish tank game where you kept having to feed the damn fish, well, hello?:yh_rotfl
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

has anyone tried and succeded in sending someone a rose?

or accepting one?
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

guppy;965705 wrote: I am still trying to figure it out...:-3 btw-there are a few fgers on it..;)

You've really come a long way, I just love your sarcastic comments!:yh_rotfl
LarsMac

Facebook

Post by LarsMac »

I was playing the MafiaWars thing for a while. Lost interest while I was in China, and couldn't get to FB.

Will probably just drop it.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1333592 wrote: I was playing the MafiaWars thing for a while. Lost interest while I was in China, and couldn't get to FB.

Will probably just drop it.

I don't find any of the games fun, they're quit boring to me as well.
koan

Facebook

Post by koan »

just one request... for all those apps that many of you play, can you make sure they don't spam the news feeds every time you find an egg or summat?
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

koan;1333637 wrote: just one request... for all those apps that many of you play, can you make sure they don't spam the news feeds every time you find an egg or summat?

amen!

or tell us what you do every 5 minutes?
Oscar Namechange

Facebook

I very rarely post my status. I did have a friend on FB, a neighbour of mine and she drove me mad up-dating her status every hour.

" Kirsty Is making a cup of tea.

Kirsty Is thinking of having a bath.

Kirsty Is eating a doughnut.

aggggggggg

Kirsty has just been strangled by her neighbour.

Kirsty has just been de-registered by her neighbour.
LarsMac

Facebook

Post by LarsMac »

koan;1333637 wrote: just one request... for all those apps that many of you play, can you make sure they don't spam the news feeds every time you find an egg or summat?

You can control them with friend lists and limiting which lists get such notices.
- DH Lawrence
koan

Facebook

Post by koan »

LarsMac;1333667 wrote: You can control them with friend lists and limiting which lists get such notices.

Why should I do all the work? :wah:

Have you seen the 'I'm so vain thread' I started? Your suggestion is met with the back of a mirror as I comb my hair. lol
LarsMac

Facebook

Post by LarsMac »

koan;1333669 wrote: Why should I do all the work? :wah:

Have you seen the 'I'm so vain thread' I started? Your suggestion is met with the back of a mirror as I comb my hair. lol
:-3

:wah:

:yh_rotfl

Good point.

But then, I'm a control freak.

I like managing all that stuff.
- DH Lawrence
Anouk

Facebook

Post by Anouk »

I play Farmville and Pet Society :)
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

I play the jukebox favorites!
Accountable

Facebook

Post by Accountable »

Since all my students FB, as well as many of my fellow teachers, I was thinking of opening an account, but from what I've read there is nearly zero privacy.
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1361744 wrote: Since all my students FB, as well as many of my fellow teachers, I was thinking of opening an account, but from what I've read there is nearly zero privacy.

You have your own settings there, my settings are set 'for friends only'

only those can see what you post.

If someone asks you for a friends request...you can accept or deny.

let me know if you join...we can meet up there as well.

There are quite a few of us there from here and everyone uses their real name.

You have to see what Nomad (Brian) posts:yh_rotfl
Accountable

Facebook

Post by Accountable »

Odie;1361745 wrote: You have your own settings there, my settings are set 'for friends only'

only those can see what you post.

If someone asks you for a friends request...you can accept or deny.

let me know if you join...we can meet up there as well.

There are quite a few of us there from here and everyone uses their real name.

You have to see what Nomad (Brian) posts:yh_rotfl

As I understand it, I can click on someone else's comment on your wall and see that person's wall, then click on any comment there to go to another wall, and so on. Is that right?
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1361750 wrote: As I understand it, I can click on someone else's comment on your wall and see that person's wall, then click on any comment there to go to another wall, and so on. Is that right?

you can click (post) on any 'friends' profile, if you have your settings for 'friends only' which I advise, if you have it on 'everyone', then anyone on fb can see what you have said.

you will also see 'news feed', where everyone of your friends has posted.

most often whomever you post to ends up on newsfeed.

click on your own profile, click friends, and click on who's page you wish to go to, then simply post or answer them.

You will also get email notifications if someone has answered you or visa versa.

You can also edit or delete your posts.
Accountable

Facebook

Post by Accountable »

Odie;1361767 wrote: you can click (post) on any 'friends' profile, if you have your settings for 'friends only' which I advise, if you have it on 'everyone', then anyone on fb can see what you have said.

you will also see 'news feed', where everyone of your friends has posted.

most often whomever you post to ends up on newsfeed.

click on your own profile, click friends, and click on who's page you wish to go to, then simply post or answer them.

You will also get email notifications if someone has answered you or visa versa.

You can also edit or delete your posts.
Maybe this will make it clearer. I found it at

Teacher's Guide to Using Facebook (Read Fullscreen)

The Implications of Having Access to Student Information on Facebook

If you do interact with your students on Facebook, you are going to be privy to information that they have used to construct their online identities. You now will likely have significantly more knowledge of your student than would otherwise be available to you strictly in the school setting. The following are some implications that you should be aware of:

1. You will be able to see your student's profile picture and any other pictures they have posted on their profile page.

2. You will see who their “friends” are online if they have not filtered it to prevent you from

seeing their friend list.

3. You will see comments posted on their wall

4. You will see comments they post on others' walls

5. You will see their status updates

6. You will see their information which could tell you everything from their date of birth to their hobbies and interests.

7. You will see what applications they install.

Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

I thought you were using fb for yourself, not your students, now it takes on another meaning..

but as said...its up to you who you accept as friends.......
fuzzywuzzy

Facebook

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Funny as Accountable ...My boy and his friends found one of their teachers they don't like on RSVP...under the name 'Kitler'..he still doesn't know it yet but it's been a running joke for a very long time.

And you can actually turn all that off from others you don't know..You can choose who sees all that info ..most don't bother though.
Accountable

Facebook

Post by Accountable »

fuzzywuzzy;1361800 wrote: Funny as Accountable ...My boy and his friends found one of their teachers they don't like on RSVP...under the name 'Kitler'..he still doesn't know it yet but it's been a running joke for a very long time.

And you can actually turn all that off from others you don't know..You can choose who sees all that info ..most don't bother though.
I went to a 2-day professional development workshop Tuesday & Wednesday and they gave each of us an account with Project Share. One of the teachers told me the interface was very close to Facebook. Perhaps I'll use that instead.
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1361817 wrote: I went to a 2-day professional development workshop Tuesday & Wednesday and they gave each of us an account with Project Share. One of the teachers told me the interface was very close to Facebook. Perhaps I'll use that instead.

- try facebook, you won't be disappointed.
Bryn Mawr

Facebook

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1361800 wrote: Funny as Accountable ...My boy and his friends found one of their teachers they don't like on RSVP...under the name 'Kitler'..he still doesn't know it yet but it's been a running joke for a very long time.

You can choose who sees it untill Facebook decide in their infinite wisdom to change your settings.
Odie

Facebook

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1361831 wrote: You can choose who sees it untill Facebook decide in their infinite wisdom to change your settings.

my settings have never been changed Bryn, they changed yours?
Bryn Mawr

Facebook

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1361834 wrote: my settings have never been changed Bryn, they changed yours?

Yes and I closed my account in protest that they should have done so.
aliza.wine

Facebook

Post by aliza.wine »

I have Facebook account and i play almost all fb games in fb. And it always waste my time..
ShyChara

Facebook

Post by ShyChara »

I have a facebook page. Its good for me cause I have family I comunicate with through facebook. My family is so far away and some of them I never get to see at all cause their too far away and I'm too broke these days to even be able to drive around even here in my own town. So facebook helps me keep in touch. My family who wont life a finger to email anyone will get on facebook and leave each other messages.
jallytony

Facebook

Post by jallytony »

lalalala;965213 wrote: Anyone here have Facebook? What are some of the Applications you play? I played one recently called One Minute Mogul. Can start your own company, hire your friends, then fire them if you want :D

good,i have just logged in my facebook,i think i can know many interesting people in facebook
griffithlarry22

Facebook

Post by griffithlarry22 »

Although, if the ratings on face book most recent series are anything to go by,it might not be made there - or, indeed, anywhere for much longer.
MarendaLewis

Facebook

Post by MarendaLewis »

I used to play Pet Society. But it's no more. They have removed it from FaceBook.
[advert removed by moderator]

Return to “The Coffee Shop”