A machine that converts thoughts into speech

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

'Mind-reading machine' can convert thoughts into speech - Telegraph

This could be a good thing for some or a bad thing for others.
Odie

Post by Odie »

OpenMind;1332127 wrote: 'Mind-reading machine' can convert thoughts into speech - Telegraph

This could be a good thing for some or a bad thing for others.

I wouldn't want to use it, some thoughts are just to private.

would you try it OM?
Life is just to short for drama.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Odie;1332129 wrote: I wouldn't want to use it, some thoughts are just to private.

would you try it OM?

Only if I could control what thoughts it read which I doubt I could do.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

OpenMind;1332137 wrote: Only if I could control what thoughts it read which I doubt I could do.

For me? None in there for it to pick out :-)

Next test they need to do is a repeat with a different patient.

Are the signals similar enough that the same program can read from either patient or does the program need to be trained individually?

If the latter (much more likely) it will make it much harder "after the event".

Next check is, does it work and can it be trained using sub-vocalisation? It might well be picking up the brain waves involved in the physical aspects of speech rather than the thought process itself and that might well be missing for those who are "locked in".

Then comes the hard work of externalising it so you don't have to do brain surgery of every patient who needs to use it and only once that's been achieved do we have to fear Big Brother.

One idea that does occur to me, if you play back the recording does the patient "hear" the words?

OK, the obvious application, if so, is mechanical telepathy but could it go on to playing back the brain waves involved in muscle movements to give stroke victims back some control etc.

More frighteningly, could such a playback take control of an unconscious body to make them act under someone else's direction - true Big Brother there :wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Brilliant for those who have lost there power of speech. But a good 'mute' button would probably come in handy.

I don't personally need one because everything I think comes out of my mouth automatically anyway.:yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1332155 wrote: Brilliant for those who have lost there power of speech. But a good 'mute' button would probably come in handy.

I don't personally need one because everything I think comes out of my mouth automatically anyway.:yh_rotfl

you said it!:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Boy I wouldn't want my thoughts turned into the spoken words I would certainly be behinds bars in no time. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

What happens in AFTR's head.............stays in AFTR's head....unless AFTR chooses to share.

:D
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “Science”