Blood Pressure.

Issues relating specifically to men's health.
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

How dangerous is High Blood Pressure?

Experts only please.:)
Oscar Namechange

Blood Pressure.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Barman;1239493 wrote: How dangerous is High Blood Pressure?

I'm no expert but Mr O has high blood pressure. Very dangerous and is on heaps of meds for It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Blood Pressure.

Post by Betty Boop »

It's incredibly dangerous if you are pregnant...

You're not are you ??? :D
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

Betty Boop;1239498 wrote: It's incredibly dangerous if you are pregnant...

You're not are you ??? :D

I will nip out and buy a test kit right now.:wah:
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

oscar;1239497 wrote: I'm no expert but Mr O has high blood pressure. Very dangerous and is on heaps of meds for It.

Feeling better all the time.:(
Betty Boop

Blood Pressure.

Post by Betty Boop »

Barman;1239500 wrote: I will nip out and buy a test kit right now.:wah:

Be sure to let me know, I knit some fine bootee's with a matching cardigan ;):D
Bez

Blood Pressure.

Post by Bez »

Well I'm no expert, but I do have experience.

I was diagnosed with High BP a few years ago. I was prescribed some pills which I took....well....when I remembered.

Last June I was diagnosed with a heart problem which I was told was probably caused by un-diagnosed high bp. I now take daily meds. for everything.

I would say don't ignore it...take the meds and doctors advice....good luck.

Blood-pressure-(high) - Introduction
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Odie

Blood Pressure.

Post by Odie »

It all depend if its high all the time.....

It does fluctuate which is normal with everyday stress, exercise etc.

I think the norm is 130/80.

not sure for men.
Life is just to short for drama.
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

Bez;1239505 wrote: Well I'm no expert, but I do have experience.

I was diagnosed with High BP a few years ago. I was prescribed some pills which I took....well....when I remembered.

Last June I was diagnosed with a heart problem which I was told was probably caused by un-diagnosed high bp. I now take daily meds. for everything.

I would say don't ignore it...take the meds and doctors advice....good luck.

Blood-pressure-(high) - Introduction

Thanks, it was 167 over 90 at the docs this morning, that link tells me it is quite high.
Odie

Blood Pressure.

Post by Odie »

Barman;1239512 wrote: Thanks, it was 167 over 90 at the docs this morning, that link tells me it is quite high.

that is really high, what did he say?
CARLA

Blood Pressure.

Post by CARLA »

My brother-in-law is a Cardiac Surgeon. High blood pressure can kill you if not controlled. Heart Disease is the #1 cause of death in the US. most of it is caused by high blood pressure. It is one of the most controllable diseases out there. Medication today for HBP are amazing and anyone with HBP should be on them. It is exactly what it sound like it is a condition where the blood circulates through the arteries with too much force. High blood pressure tires the heart, harms the arteries. Please don't leave high blood pressure unchecked and uncontrolled your are playing with your life.

[QUOTE]Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

Heart disease: 631,636

Cancer: 559,888

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599

Diabetes: 72,449

Alzheimer's disease: 72,432

Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,344

Septicemia: 34,234

[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

Odie;1239516 wrote: that is really high, what did he say?

She was quite surprised in the jump from 145 over 70 something two weeks ago.

I was to go back next week but i am on holiday, the doc did look quite concerned and even asked me if i felt ok.:confused:

I have to return the day i get back from my holiday.
Betty Boop

Blood Pressure.

Post by Betty Boop »

Barman;1239519 wrote: She was quite surprised in the jump from 145 over 70 something two weeks ago.

I was to go back next week but i am on holiday, the doc did look quite concerned and even asked me if i felt ok.:confused:

I'm surprised they didn't send you away with a machine to record your pressure over 24-48 hours. I'm sure they've suggested this for when you return though. Don't go stressing over it and making the situation worse though will you. Some people's blood pressure rises just at the thought of having it taken too.
YZGI

Blood Pressure.

Post by YZGI »

Been reading Jimbos posts again haven't you?:sneaky:
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

YZGI;1239525 wrote: Been reading Jimbos posts again haven't you?:sneaky:

Dont point him in this direction will you.:wah:
farmer giles

Blood Pressure.

Post by farmer giles »

before i tell you how bad that is

two questions

1 have you written a will

2 am i in it

its been nice knowing you buddy :(:(:(

:D:D
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

farmer giles;1239533 wrote: before i tell you how bad that is

two questions

1 have you written a will

2 am i in it

its been nice knowing you buddy :(:(:(

:D:D

Tosser:yh_rotfl
Odie

Blood Pressure.

Post by Odie »

Barman;1239519 wrote: She was quite surprised in the jump from 145 over 70 something two weeks ago.

did you feel stressed, anxious, aggravated or pumped up while there?
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

Odie;1239547 wrote: did you feel stressed, anxious, aggravated or pumped up while there?

Not in the least. I was expecting everything to be fine and then toddle of on my way. Bit of a shocker to be told that.
kayleneaussie

Blood Pressure.

Post by kayleneaussie »

Blood Pressure is a silent killer.....by saying that I mean some of us dont know our pressure is up and it does kill if you dont get it under control:(

Make sure you go back to get it retested and best of luck:D
FOC THREAD PART 1
CARLA

Blood Pressure.

Post by CARLA »

If your doctor was concerned he/she should have kept you there to see if went down when your were rested. Your top is a tiny bit high your bottom is normal. :)

Link to a site with a easy to understand chart that explains the top and bottom readings of your blood pressure.

Blood Pressure Chart - Normal Blood Pressure Range

[QUOTE]145 over 70[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

CARLA;1239568 wrote: If your doctor was concerned he/she should have kept you there to see if went down when your were rested. Your top is a tiny bit high your bottom is normal. :)

Link to a site with a easy to understand chart that explains the top and bottom readings of your blood pressure.

Blood Pressure Chart - Normal Blood Pressure Range

That was 2 weeks ago, today it was 167 over 90.
Bryn Mawr

Blood Pressure.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Barman;1239573 wrote: That was 2 weeks ago, today it was 167 over 90.

White Coat syndrome?
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

Bryn Mawr;1239594 wrote: White Coat syndrome?

No chance of that Bryn.
Bryn Mawr

Blood Pressure.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Barman;1239598 wrote: No chance of that Bryn.

I've known it in a couple of workmates - the round the clock monitor showed that both of them had normal blood pressure until they approached the Doctor's surgery when it went through the roof (one to the extent of 196/130).
luciferjohn

Blood Pressure.

Post by luciferjohn »

im no expert but ive had high bp for about 5yrs now, GET IT CHECKED, is my advise it can lead to heart attack,stroke,anurisms(pardon the spelling)and many other problems including the one i fear the most erectile dysfunction.

so do get it checked bro its serious.

hope that helped:o:D
:driving:lookout smart guy talkin:guitarist:yh_devil:yh_ghost:
CARLA

Blood Pressure.

Post by CARLA »

Thats high i hope your on medication if not you may need to be. Uncontrolled HBP is dangerous and can easily be controlled with medication they work great.

[QUOTE]That was 2 weeks ago, today it was 167 over 90.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

mrsK

Blood Pressure.

Post by mrsK »

VERY serious.

I would be getting it checked again asap.

Yes I do want to scare you because I want you to get it checked again soon.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

Just back from the docs, 174/ 105. Have to go back at noon today to see some other doctor who is going to give me a going over of some type.

Test on hols last week came out at 170/94 so gradually climbing.
pinkchick

Blood Pressure.

Post by pinkchick »

I hope everything goes well :-4
Very nearly perfect ... :D
lou lou belle

Blood Pressure.

Post by lou lou belle »

Barman;1245142 wrote: Just back from the docs, 174/ 105. Have to go back at noon today to see some other doctor who is going to give me a going over of some type.

My dad has high BP, he is a nightmare for the following:-

Red wine

Cheese

and salt on everything!

Highly saturated foods

Overworking

Being overweight

He has managed to get it down by severly cutting back on the above, dieting and learning how to switch off. He also go's for long walks with my mum.

He said his cat relaxes him quite a bit, and loves reading with him on his lap.

He is only 64 and I do worry that he will get really ill through it. His mother died of a stroke at 83, it was awful to see.

Have your BP taken as much as poss and look after yourself.
Odie

Blood Pressure.

Post by Odie »

Barman;1245142 wrote: Just back from the docs, 174/ 105. Have to go back at noon today to see some other doctor who is going to give me a going over of some type.

this is what I do before going to my doctors, as when I am there, I always feel anxious and uptight.......so yes, its always high.

I to my local pharmacy and use their free machine myself.

I don`t take it right away.. I sit there until my heart rate goes down and I learn to relax through deep breathing in and out......

plus I know when it will read high, to much running around stresses me out.

smoking 30 minutes before will raise my blood pressure

caffeine does the same.

then I take it again....if its still high.......I relax one more time and do it.

do this 2x only.....if you do it more you do become anxious.

if its still high, I go home and just relax....but I will also start walking as that does lower it.

then I go back the next day and its gone back to normal..

if it doesn`t..........then I see my doctor
CARLA

Blood Pressure.

Post by CARLA »

Something is up keep on them till they find it. I'm 62 my blood pressure with medication is 110/68. Your's is high and something is cause it could be Pulmonary, vascular, arteries, and your thyroid whatever it is make them do every darn test they have.

[QUOTE]Just back from the docs, 174/ 105. Have to go back at noon today to see some other doctor who is going to give me a going over of some type.

Test on hols last week came out at 170/94 so gradually climbing.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

CARLA;1246593 wrote: Something is up keep on them till they find it. I'm 62 my blood pressure with medication is 110/68. Your's is high and something is cause it could be Pulmonary, vascular, arteries, and your thyroid whatever it is make them do every darn test they have.

I was going to wait till next Tuesday before i posted again.

I had it taken 3 times by the doc on Tuesday, got kept in cos it was rather high. Each occasion it was the same 178/105. Used digital and the old fashioned pump thingy.

So Friday they took 3 tubes of blood to send for tests, i get the results on Tuesday.

Meanwhile I have been banned alcohol, cheese, caffeine etc, the normal stuff.

Had a machine at home for a week, same results, bit of a pain in the arse to be honest.

Bit of an action man really, always on the go, still going to have my Sunday morning fry up, sod em.:)
CARLA

Blood Pressure.

Post by CARLA »

Hopefully the blood work will show something. Ask if they tested your thyroid when you get the results if not ask them to simple test depending on your age it should be a standard test after a certain age. 3 tubes of blood means they are running many tests. ;)

[QUOTE]I was going to wait till next Tuesday before i posted again.

I had it taken 3 times by the doc on Tuesday, got kept in cos it was rather high. Each occasion it was the same 178/105. Used digital and the old fashioned pump thingy.

So Friday they took 3 tubes of blood to send for tests, i get the results on Tuesday.

Had a machine at home for a week, same results, bit of a pain in the arse to be honest.

Bit of an action man really, always on the go, still going to have my Sunday morning fry up, sod em.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

CARLA;1246603 wrote: Hopefully the blood work will show something. Ask if they tested your thyroid when you get the results if not ask them to simple test depending on your age it should be a standard test after a certain age. 3 tubes of blood means they are running many tests. ;)

Ok, i am 53, i admit it. I only feel 70 though.:D
CARLA

Blood Pressure.

Post by CARLA »

:wah: Your a kid compared to me get this get to the bottom of this it is probably something simple and controllable. ;)

[QUOTE]Ok, i am 53, i admit it. I only feel 70 though.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Lon

Blood Pressure.

Post by Lon »

Many people will have elevated blood pressure when they go to the doctors office, but have normal blood pressure otherwise. It's called White Coat Syndrome. It's not unusual for blood pressure to vary under certain circumstances like stress etc. However, persistant high blood pressure can be dangerous and should be treated. Blood pressure kits with a printed digital read out that includes your heart beat rate are fairly inexpensive. Take your reading upon awakening in the morning before coffee or too much movement. Mine at that time is 110/70 (normal) and my resting heart beat is 60. Alcohol, coffee, nicotine can affect blood pressure as well as being over weight.
Barman

Blood Pressure.

Post by Barman »

Lon;1246678 wrote: Many people will have elevated blood pressure when they go to the doctors office, but have normal blood pressure otherwise. It's called White Coat Syndrome. It's not unusual for blood pressure to vary under certain circumstances like stress etc. However, persistant high blood pressure can be dangerous and should be treated. Blood pressure kits with a printed digital read out that includes your heart beat rate are fairly inexpensive. Take your reading upon awakening in the morning before coffee or too much movement. Mine at that time is 110/70 (normal) and my resting heart beat is 60. Alcohol, coffee, nicotine can affect blood pressure as well as being over weight.

Thanks Lon.

I had nothing but water from midnight till 8:30 am, sat quiet and calm and still ended up with 178/105, i suppose that is why i had the machine at home.

No chance of being hyped up at the surgery.
Odie

Blood Pressure.

Post by Odie »

Barman;1246597 wrote: I was going to wait till next Tuesday before i posted again.

Bit of an action man really, always on the go, still going to have my Sunday morning fry up, sod em.:)

oh see I had no idea you had the machine at home for a week.

does your doctor know your always on the go?

wishing you hope on the blood results.
tedhutchinson

Blood Pressure.

Post by tedhutchinson »

Blood pressure chart for adults

Billy E has had some success with Beet Juice and his blood pressure - even dropping the SBP by 15 mm Hg. There is a user survey unfortunately only a few people have replied but generally the results from beetjuice is helpful.

HTN and Beet Juice

Nitrate in Beetroot Juice Lowers Blood Pressure, Study Finds

It's very easy to mix. I have a small bottle I half fill with water add a tsp of powder, shake and drink. Not surprisingly it takes very beetrooty but it's OK. So far I haven't had a problem with pink urine but I'm adding more beetroot to my diet so will see if that changes.

Use Code WAB666 for an introductory $5 discount at IHERB. I use IHERB because it's cheapest shipping to UK. Keep order value below £18 to avoid customs duty and PO handling.

Eclectic Institute, Beet Juice Pow-der, 3.17 oz (90 g) Iherb only charge $4 to ship to UK

Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils This is probably cheaper for US readers but shipping to UK =$20

Oral vitamin D supplementation may lead to a reduction in systolic blood pressure Most people require in the region of 1000iu/daily/D3 for each 25lbs they weigh. Country Life, Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU, 200 Softgels $10.20 one daily should nearly be sufficient you may need to alternate 1 daily with 2 daily to average 10 each week.

Magnesium bicarbonate reduces blood pressure

Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water

Krsipin has good information on other magnesium supplements

Omega-3 fatty acids and blood pressure.There is substantial evidence that omega-3 fatty acids reduce blood pressure, with a greater effect in hypertensive patients and those with high-normal blood pressure. The dose of omega-3 fatty acids required to achieve a blood pressure reduction is likely to be at least 3-4 g/day. However, the magnitude of the blood pressure change can be increased by salt restriction or when omega-3 fatty acids are incorporated into a weight reducing program. It is also highly plausible that increased omega-3 fatty acid consumption as part of a dietary change including increased consumption of fruits and vegetables, and moderation of salt intake, will confer significant cardiovascular benefit.

As 3~4g of omega 3 (that's the sum of the EPA and DHA numbers) that is a lot of fish oil capsules. You may find it easier to use a concentrated fish oil liquid. like this providing 1.3g each tsp. One tsp before each meal and that's near enough 4g.
devidsmith

Blood Pressure.

Post by devidsmith »

Blood pressure is depends upon your daily workload.Regular exercise it helps maintain your blood pressure.
davidross349

Blood Pressure.

Post by davidross349 »

Hi..

I think daily exercise is better formula it help maintain your blood pressure ...
tedhutchinson

Blood Pressure.

Post by tedhutchinson »

davidross349;1371562 wrote: Hi..

I think daily exercise is better formula it help maintain your blood pressure ...That's true for those who can exercise but it's not much use for people who because of some underlying medical condition can't exercise. It's also the case that lethargy (reluctance to exercise) is the result of becoming obese and with the number of obese people nowadays we have to understand WHY people feel the need to eat more calories than they require and are reluctant to exercise.

It's just far too easy to say "Exercise More" but what happens. People join a gym, buy all the gear, and within weeks become bored out of their minds, fed up with failing to lose weight or see any benefits, and generally fail.

Exercise is fine for those for whom it is fun and rewarding but for most people it's a useless painful waste of time and energy.

Why not use your brains instead of your brawn and apply the latest science?

Melatonin for Blood Pressure

So improving your melatonin secretion so you sleep better and longer reduces your blood pressure.

Smart folks will spend more time in bed to reduce blood pressure. The less intelligent will keep exercising.
WonderWendy3

Blood Pressure.

Post by WonderWendy3 »

tedhutchinson;1371691 wrote: That's true for those who can exercise but it's not much use for people who because of some underlying medical condition can't exercise. It's also the case that lethargy (reluctance to exercise) is the result of becoming obese and with the number of obese people nowadays we have to understand WHY people feel the need to eat more calories than they require and are reluctant to exercise.

It's just far too easy to say "Exercise More" but what happens. People join a gym, buy all the gear, and within weeks become bored out of their minds, fed up with failing to lose weight or see any benefits, and generally fail.

Exercise is fine for those for whom it is fun and rewarding but for most people it's a useless painful waste of time and energy.

Why not use your brains instead of your brawn and apply the latest science?

Melatonin for Blood Pressure

So improving your melatonin secretion so you sleep better and longer reduces your blood pressure.

Smart folks will spend more time in bed to reduce blood pressure. The less intelligent will keep exercising.

I couldn't agree more, I have been thinking of melatonin for me since I suggested it for an elderly friend and it works wonders for him to get rest at night. Never linked it to blood pressure! I am on bp meds and want to desperately get off of them. I got my cholesterol down for the first time in my adult life and now tackling the bp!--exercise is a struggle for me only because of lifestyle changes right now which seem to be temporary....so sleeping my weight away sounds good to me! Thanks again!
fuzzywuzzy

Blood Pressure.

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

sleep would be good .....hey has anyone taken their blood pressure before.... and during having a smoke? It's astounding it goes up around 5 points.

(shrugs) well I find it interesting ....don't put medical devices in front of me I'll use em'
Vaishali

Blood Pressure.

Post by Vaishali »

High blood pressure is a severe disease. It causes great damage to your body. Due to high blood pressure your brain, arteries, heart, kidney problems are generated. To control this problem, one should maintain a healthy diet and a fixed weight. One should do exercise daily.

Return to “Men's Health”