Indoor Cats...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Indoor Cats...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

How do members feel about folks who take cats and never let them out-side?

I have a neighbour who has just acquired another cat and although she has a garden, she has let let her cats out-side.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Rapunzel

Indoor Cats...

Post by Rapunzel »

Their furniture gets shredded and their houses smell of cat pee. :wah:

One of my friends had 5 cats, another had 8 cats. Those cats went outside but both houses still absolutely stank of cats, it was almost impossible to breathe in there. I think they were so used to the smell they just didn't notice it! *gag*

I visited them both once - that was enough. *choke*

So, to answer your question, I bet your neighbour doesn't get many visitors. :wah:
binbag

Indoor Cats...

Post by binbag »

oscar;1327723 wrote: How do members feel about folks who take cats and never let them out-side?

I have a neighbour who has just acquired another cat and although she has a garden, she has let let her cats out-side.
Interesting, and very timely oscar.

My son's cat, the one in the Caption thread, has produced three beautiful jet black kittens and we're taking one of them, possibly at the week-end.

My little dog gets along famously with the mother, and will sit on my lap as I hold the kitten without any hint of jealousy.

My experience has been that the majority of kittens, from a very young age, 3-6 weeks even, have the natural instinct to hiss and have their hackles rise the moment they spot a dog. These little kittens, along with the mother, do not. Therefore I know the two are going to get along just fine.

I was brought up with cats who were all "house living". None of them appeared to have any detrimental effects for being house cats. They were extremely clean, showing great happiness and contentment and lived long happy lives without showing any signs of wanting to escape to the big outdoors.

The next question would be, am I being cruel and depriving them of their instinct to explore and hunt outdoors. My personal view and experience is no. I would actually say they are more content living indoors.

What I feel is cruel, is keeping birds in cages indoors.

Now, I suspect not all will agree with the policy of house cats, so it's going to be interesting viewing further replies.

Good subject.

binbag.
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
binbag

Indoor Cats...

Post by binbag »

Rapunzel;1327739 wrote: Their furniture gets shredded and their houses smell of cat pee. :wah:

One of my friends had 5 cats, another had 8 cats. Those cats went outside but both houses still absolutely stank of cats, it was almost impossible to breathe in there. I think they were so used to the smell they just didn't notice it! *gag*

I visited them both once - that was enough. *choke*

So, to answer your question, I bet your neighbour doesn't get many visitors. :wah:

Hee hee, she either never cleaned the piddles or they were male cats Rapunzel. Aaaaaabsolutley foul smelling pee. :wah:

I've a feeling this may be a Looooong thread. :sneaky:
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
Rapunzel

Indoor Cats...

Post by Rapunzel »

They both had clean houses, so they must both have had all male cats then. :wah:

You're right about the small of pee though - it was aaaaaaaaabsolutely FOUL! :wah:

(You see, I can laugh about it now...I was absolutely gagging at the time!) :wah:
Peg

Indoor Cats...

Post by Peg »

All my cats have gone outdoors except for the one I have now. The few times she has ventured out the door, seconds later she came back in. If she is happy to stay indoors, I am happy to let her.
K.Snyder

Indoor Cats...

Post by K.Snyder »

Not to mention they compete for dominance and pi** ten fold...

Can't get rid of cat pee,..just can't do it.
chonsigirl

Indoor Cats...

Post by chonsigirl »

I have always had indoor cats, a very sensible way to keep a pet. My kitty is leash trained, and goes for walks with me. I would not want him running around outside-the danger is getting hit by cars, attacked by woodchucks or foxes. He is safe and secure inside, and a very nice critter.
Oscar Namechange

Indoor Cats...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Thank You for all your replies.

I have often wrote of my revolting neighbour over my time here and my view Is this:

I can understand If you live In a dangerous traffic area and you are afraid of having your cat mown down In the road. I lost two cats on a bus route many years ago. I can understand It, If you have a decent sized house where the cats have different rooms to wander but In a box sized house, to confine 6 cats, to me, Is cruel.

Rap... You are correct about the smell. I had to step Inside her lounge one day and I was gagging. The litter trays were sodden and obviously had not been cleaned out for days. There were also litter trays In the hall and the kitchen were she was eating.

I have 2 cats... Persians and I am paranoid they will be stolen. They have a very different temprement to street moggies and are very slow. Both go out In the garden but the dogs go out with them and will kick up If any-one comes near the fence. The fence Is too high for the cats to even think about getting over. We also never ever leave our cats out while we are out and then they have a litter tray.

I do think when the cat Is a basic street moggie, Is It fair to keep him shut Inside the house? Should he be out exercising his natural born traits?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kathy Ellen

Indoor Cats...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Yes, I think it's fine to have cats as house pets and not let them go outside. It would be lovely if you could but certainly not here in the city or a town. They'd be killed here.

I had a lovely cat named Foxy Shamus. He was a gorgeous calico cat. Someone in my family allowed him to go out alone, and he was attacked by a dog. I had to transport him to the vet all bloodied up, and they had to put him down as he couldn't be saved. I still have nightmares of that day.

It would be nice if all animals could be free to roam. It's a tough call to make. We certainly would never see wild life that is in aquariums and zoos. But is that fair to the animals...to be boxed in like that?

Return to “Pets Animals”