How important is fashion clothing to you?

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

As i get older i find fashion clothing serves me no purpose at all other than going out which i do very little of, this in turn means i get very little wear out of it before its out of fashion, so i no longer buy it.

Some things fortunately will never go out of fashion, jeans and the little black dress spring to mind.

How important is fashion clothing to you, will you hit the sales this year for fashion or practicality?
Odie

Post by Odie »

I won't hit the sales, I just go with tees and jeans.

always in style.
Life is just to short for drama.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I'm with you, jeans and the little black dress.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I like to look good and be comfortable. I work in an office, but fortunately, we can dress casually. I wear outfits but sometimes I like to mix and match. Pants and tops most of the times. Dresses on occasion.

I do watch other women and notice what they are wearing. I ask myself if I would look good wearing what she has on. Why or why not......that type of thing.

I am not young, skinny or sophisticated.......:wah:....so I don't worry about "fashion clothing". I ain't going down no stinkin' runway. :wah:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Odie

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1276835 wrote: I like to look good and be comfortable. I work in an office, but fortunately, we can dress casually. I wear outfits but sometimes I like to mix and match. Pants and tops most of the times. Dresses on occasion.

I do watch other women and notice what they are wearing. I ask myself if I would look good wearing what she has on. Why or why not......that type of thing.

I am not young, skinny or sophisticated.......:wah:....so I don't worry about "fashion clothing". I ain't going down no stinkin' runway. :wah:

I remember how some dressed at work, a hustling we will go!:yh_rotfl
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

buttercup;1276799 wrote: As i get older i find fashion clothing serves me no purpose at all other than going out which i do very little of, this in turn means i get very little wear out of it before its out of fashion, so i no longer buy it.

Some things fortunately will never go out of fashion, jeans and the little black dress spring to mind.

How important is fashion clothing to you, will you hit the sales this year for fashion or practicality?

I been wearing jeans for the better part of sixty years.

Sometimes they're in fashion, some times not. The difference seems to be the price.

I never really looked good in the little black dress.

If there is a sale at the Wrangler store, I am there.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

LarsMac;1276871 wrote: I been wearing jeans for the better part of sixty years.

Sometimes they're in fashion, some times not. The difference seems to be the price.

I never really looked good in the little black dress.

If there is a sale at the Wrangler store, I am there.

opps that reminded me to add a big black dress for me!:yh_rotfl
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

I'm a Jeans kind of girl myself. I do, however, love to shop in the "gently used" shops. I found last week a beautiful leather jacket and it cost me $5. :)
mccradyserena

Post by mccradyserena »

I guess I shop most often at PAC Sun and Macy’s Men’s Store. I have some stuff from American Eagle, Aeronautical, and even thrift shops, but most of my stuff comes from the first two I named and the brands can really vary at those stores.
Millefiori Pendant | Murano Necklace
Limey

Post by Limey »

I really love some fashion trends but I don't care what's currently 'in'. I don't really have a style and some days I just look like a mess because I don't care, but I am trying to make more of an effort recently as I am interested in clothes when I can be bothered.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

My husband Is a complete snob when It comes to clothes and It must be mostly 'Tommy Hilfiger'. I do have some Hilfiger but not as picky as him.

I do attend some functions where I have to look half decent so go for black trouser suits and a little bling.

Also on the race-courses I have to look half decent so I tend to wear Jacket and skirt to work there... I find my BNP slogan tee-shirts do not go down too well.

At home I like Cargo pants and tee-shirts. My favourite tee-shirt says on the front... 'I ALWAYS GET WHAT I WANT'...
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Well, I work at a high school, so I have to have a dress code of sorts. (although it is pretty lax, no shorts, no beer shirts, etc.) I find that I have a lot less trouble and more respect from the students the more I dress up. I'm certainly not going to be buying gucci on my salary, but nice Dockers, and shirt and a tie from JC Penny's go a long way towards giving me a good image and being a proper model for young adults.

There's another teacher at my school, female, that always wears beat up T-shirts and torn jeans. Technically, there's no rule that she can't do that, but for the reasons I gave, I just think it's kind of inappropriate.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Can't be doing with labels, complete and utter waste of money. I tend to look out for bargains in high street stores and charity shops. I don't generally buy something because it's in fashion, it's generally because the cut or design will actually suit my body shape.
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1326684 wrote: Can't be doing with labels, complete and utter waste of money. I tend to look out for bargains in high street stores and charity shops. I don't generally buy something because it's in fashion, it's generally because the cut or design will actually suit my body shape.

Cardi Goddess
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1326685 wrote: Cardi Goddess

That as well....

ermm... I just realised I have a few designer cardi's lol although they were always sale items. I totally blame Theia, me and her shopping together was always bad news lol she would always say 'oh, just get it, you know you want it' instead of being the sensible one and say 'hey, haven't you spent enough already today!' :rolleyes: She made me buy the red, killer heels patent leather, boots too!
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1326687 wrote: That as well....

ermm... I just realised I have a few designer cardi's lol although they were always sale items. I totally blame Theia, me and her shopping together was always bad news lol she would always say 'oh, just get it, you know you want it' instead of being the sensible one and say 'hey, haven't you spent enough already today!' :rolleyes: She made me buy the red, killer heels patent leather, boots too!

BB's a closet dominatrix :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Lon

Post by Lon »

By Fashion Clothing I assume you are talking about name brand like Izod, Marie Whatchacallit etc. This is one male that has always enjoyed looking good in my clothes and when in the work force paid great attention to the correct three piece suit, shirt tie and shoes. Having been retired for almost 20 years it's been "Joe Casual" but still wanting to look "Joe Casual Cool" Good looking clothes in California are cheap, cheap, cheap and that means they are not always designer labels, however there are discount outlets that sell designer clothes at 70% discount if that's someones thing. I am wearing at this moment a pair of Brick Red Docker cotton trousers with a solid white short sleeved top and sandals and my $12 undesigner sun glasses. I know I look good, several people told me so despite my wife's opinion< but that's the fun of being retired----who gives a s--t.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Saint_;1326679 wrote: Well, I work at a high school, so I have to have a dress code of sorts. (although it is pretty lax, no shorts, no beer shirts, etc.) I find that I have a lot less trouble and more respect from the students the more I dress up. I'm certainly not going to be buying gucci on my salary, but nice Dockers, and shirt and a tie from JC Penny's go a long way towards giving me a good image and being a proper model for young adults.

There's another teacher at my school, female, that always wears beat up T-shirts and torn jeans. Technically, there's no rule that she can't do that, but for the reasons I gave, I just think it's kind of inappropriate.

I wouldn't buy Gucci either, I don't do labels, its just a crock and a waste of money.

I think she dresses inappropriately as well, she is a professional and should dress accordingly.

When I worked as a receptionist/admin I was always dressed to the nines.

dresses, suits, skirts and jackets, high heels.

now I just dress casual unless I go out somewhere special.

Fashion is important if its worn well......some think they can wear all kinds of things, meanwhile it just doesn't suit them.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

If it fit and I'm comfortable in it I get it doesn't matter what brand it is comfort is a must. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Fashion is a serious health risk. Today I am in pain. Well, slightly sore.

Last night I was down the pub and wearing a pair of plimsolls. But they had been subjected to a fashionable remake. The soles were absolutely smooth. Very cool.

It was raining. I swent out onto the metal fire escape for a fashionable fag. No grip. Feet went out from under me like I was on ice (Cool!). Had to jam down an elbow to stop myself going down the fire escape on my arse. Now have bloody and sore elbow. But looked very fashionable as I collapsed.

Conclusion: Fashion is bad for your elbows.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1326818 wrote: Fashion is a serious health risk. Today I am in pain. Well, slightly sore.

Last night I was down the pub and wearing a pair of plimsolls. But they had been subjected to a fashionable remake. The soles were absolutely smooth. Very cool.

It was raining. I swent out onto the metal fire escape for a fashionable fag. No grip. Feet went out from under me like I was on ice (Cool!). Had to jam down an elbow to stop myself going down the fire escape on my arse. Now have bloody and sore elbow. But looked very fashionable as I collapsed.

Conclusion: Fashion is bad for your elbows. Blimey.... Just goes to show that If you wish hard enough for some-thing, It will happen,

Only joking Clod
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1326818 wrote: Fashion is a serious health risk. Today I am in pain. Well, slightly sore.

The fire escape is the designated smoking place ??? Sorry that bit made me chuckle. Hope your not too battered and bruised, did anyone catch it on video lol
Odie

Post by Odie »

bloody hell mate!:yh_beatup

see, fashion does count my friend!:yh_rotfl

I hope you feel better!:-6
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

The fire escape is the designated smoking place ??? Sorry that bit made me chuckle. Hope your not too battered and bruised, did anyone catch it on video lol

Luckily not. :) All happened rather fast.

Elbow is sore and stiff, but everything seems to be working and nothing feels broken. I heal well, fortunately.

chucle. "Fire Escape" does describe what the smokers are doing, as well as the location, rather well. Hadn't thought of it before.

(Darkly) Beware the fashionable plimsoll.

Odie: Thank you. :) Everything seems ok. Just a bit sore.

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Blimey.... Just goes to show that If you wish hard enough for some-thing, It will happen,

:wah: Yeah, but I didn't go headfirst onto burning concrete. "A bloody elbow" seems a bit of a half hearted wish!:sneaky:

Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1326829 wrote: :wah: Yeah, but I didn't go headfirst onto burning concrete. "A bloody elbow" seems a bit of a half hearted wish!:sneaky:

Plimsolls Really !!!!

It reminds me of when the nephew was first remanded pending trial to the prison. They have a system there where they have to earn stars and he had to get a gold to earn the right to wear his own designer trainers. Mean-time he had to wear prison regulation plimsolls and a tabbard. I whinged all through a 2 hour visit about those damn plimsolls Insisting they made him look like a retard.
Bez

Post by Bez »

At my age...early 60s...... I'm careful about what I wear as a lot of the current fashion is very 'girlie' and of course aimed at teenagers. I think I probably follow trends rather than fashion. CAn't remember last time I wore a skirt....I tend to wear jeans, Cargoes, cropped or tailored trousers for a night out (very rare). NOT Skinnie stuff though. I like the current trend for longer tops (covers wobbly bits). In general my clothes have to be comfy and practical with all the 'grandchildren minding' I do.

I mainly go to Marks & Spencers (90%), Next or Debenhams.

Footwear is normally trainers or trainer type shoes (Sketchers)..... don't wear 'heels' anymore
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Special repost on request:

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1326920 wrote: Special repost on request:

What lol whose request lol
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Odie;1326757 wrote: I was always dressed to the nines.

I always liked that expression!! I wonder where it came from?:yh_youkid

some think they can wear all kinds of things, meanwhile it just doesn't suit them.

I believe you are referring to overweight people who wear spandex bike-shorts.:-3:yh_sick
Lon

Post by Lon »

Saint_;1326968 wrote: I always liked that expression!! I wonder where it came from?:yh_youkid

I believe you are referring to overweight people who wear spandex bike-shorts.:-3:yh_sick

DRESSED TO THE NINES----------------http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dres ... nines.html
Odie

Post by Odie »

Saint_;1326968 wrote: I always liked that expression!! I wonder where it came from?:yh_youkid

it is a very good expression!

I`ve heard in several movies......just don`t remember which ones.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I don't care for fashion, but it's tax free week when you buy clothes-I'm shopping tomorrow!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

What lol whose request lol

...somewhere, somehow, I am getting something wrong.

Amazing as it may seem. :)

Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

As a crusty old guy I don't give a damn about fashion , or fashion clothing, as long as I'm legally dressed so as not to offend the neighbors!!!!
spot

Post by spot »

Demonstrating an unerring eye for fashion trends, predicting the movements and setting the direction for others to follow has always struck me as the prime reason I exist. I completely change my in-use wardrobe every three or four months, cycling some items back for the day I decree them to once again be vogue and replacing with clothes from (usually) obscure importers who bring forward potential looks in the hope that some few might catch my fancy. Twenty years back I considered myself two years ahead of the field. With the rapid uptake of trends recently I'm content to merely show what will sell next year. It's surprisingly inexpensive and wonderfully satisfying to know the effect one can have just by stepping into the right club in the right outfit on the right night, yet I doubt whether my annual clothing budget exceeds £6,000. Others spend so much more and achieve so much less.

Talking someone into a recognition that, for example, a 15th century style autumnal-toned hooded smock with integral liripipe will be definitively right for her this year when the summer ends can be an uphill task, but very rewarding when it works. When a match like that comes along, and wouldn't have suited anyone else, that's the moment when all aspects of fashionable merit have been met.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1327675 wrote: Demonstrating an unerring eye for fashion trends, predicting the movements and setting the direction for others to follow has always struck me as the prime reason I exist. I completely change my in-use wardrobe every three or four months, cycling some items back for the day I decree them to once again be vogue and replacing with clothes from (usually) obscure importers who bring forward potential looks in the hope that some few might catch my fancy. Twenty years back I considered myself two years ahead of the field. With the rapid uptake of trends recently I'm content to merely show what will sell next year. It's surprisingly inexpensive and wonderfully satisfying to know the effect one can have just by stepping into the right club in the right outfit on the right night, yet I doubt whether my annual clothing budget exceeds £6,000. Others spend so much more and achieve so much less.

Talking someone into a recognition that, for example, a 15th century style autumnal-toned hooded smock with integral liripipe will be definitively right for her this year when the summer ends can be an uphill task, but very rewarding when it works. When a match like that comes along, and wouldn't have suited anyone else, that's the moment when all aspects of fashionable merit have been met.

You're elegant sartorial influences are the single reason ( well that and the recent BBC documentary series on Elizabeth the 1st) I will be propping up the bar at my local establishment in my newly aquired ( ER-Bay ) doublet and hose, although I must add that I find lacing my wife up into her bodice and ironing her wide-tuffed trumpet sleeves rather tiresome. Some evenings there is barely time to go out so we stay in and get bladdered on home brew mead
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1327678 wrote: You're elegant sartorial influences are the single reason ( well that and the recent BBC documentary series on Elizabeth the 1st) I will be propping up the bar at my local establishment in my newly aquired ( ER-Bay ) doublet and hose, although I must add that I find lacing my wife up into her bodice and ironing her wide-tuffed trumpet sleeves rather tiresome. Some evenings there is barely time to go out so we stay in and get bladdered on home brew mead
I'll tell you what, it can be hell finding a codpiece that doesn't pinch since the Asian imports knocked the bottom out of the domestic suppliers. I've been known to sew in an under-gusset before now just to know I'll get through the evening. At least I've enough poulaines to see me out.

You do know you're going to have to put up a photo album after that post, don't you.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I might have one or two of me bladdered on home brew mead
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

The furthest historical reference of 'dressed to the nines'...

The phrases 'to the nines', or 'to the nine', were used to indicate perfection - the highest standards. That was in use in the 18th century, as here from William Hamilton's Epistle to Ramsay, 1719:

'How to the nines they did content me'.

It may go back further .. If some-one cares to research further but I got uber stuff to do like wot you probably do..
Oscar Namechange

Odie;1327008 wrote: it is a very good expression!

..just don`t remember which ones. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1327681 wrote: I might have one or two of me bladdered on home brew mead

That, while it doesn't surprise me, was not exactly what I had in mind. I was hoping to see how many bells you considered appropriate this year, whether you wear them just at the calf, and how you hold your bauble[1] when entering company - I've observed some distressingly slack grips on baubles in recent months.

[1] The Morris, degraded as they have become, refer to this as "the stick", but bauble is far more proper.
Vaishali

Post by Vaishali »

Yes, I agree with you. There is a huge difference in the views of a college girl and a mature working girl towards fashion and clothes. A college girl on one side experiments with various types of dresses like capri, shorts, etc funky dresses but a mature girl opts formal dresses. I am a mature working girl, so I always prefer to wear along with formal shirts because this is what gives me a look of a sincere career oriented girl. That's what fashion is for me. I am too old to wear funky dresses so I buy such dresses only because we all need to change our way of walking, way of talking, dress up, etc time to time according to the time and place. Am I wrong? What do you think about it guys??
stacyjmes1

Post by stacyjmes1 »

Everybody wants to be up to date according to latest fashion trends.
DesignersareeUS

Post by DesignersareeUS »

Hmm...It is not about fashionable clothes, but its about what you wearing and how you look like in that clothes. If you are wearing fashionable clothes they must be suitable and also comfortable with you. Be fashionable like you have three men walk behind you.
Sarees in USA | Designer Sarees USA | Indian Kurtis Online USA
Whitney Naylor

Post by Whitney Naylor »

I really love to wear the fashionable clothes but according to me fashion clothing is very important for me. I love all the new fashion trends that come in after every month and every year. I think stylish dressing sense will give a great look to everyone's personality.
[Link removed]
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I find the whole concept of 'fashion' rather comical.

Fashion is supposed to be an expression of individuality, yet everyone seems to be intent on copying everyone else in order to be seen as being 'fashionable'.
spot

Post by spot »

That's not a use of the word "everyone" which I would care to adopt.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot;1476536 wrote: That's not a use of the word "everyone" which I would care to adopt.
"Everyone", as in the "Dedicated followers of fashion" is concerned.

So & So wears Such & Such.

So & So is fashionable.

Everyone else is copying So & So.

Everyone else is fashionable.

Therefore to be fashionable I must copy So & So as well in order to be fashionable so that I, too, can express my individuality.

Yet these are the types who would object to having to wear a uniform.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am in fashion when Wrangler Jeans and Flannel shirts are in vogue.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Fashion Clothing”