How to keep bathroom tiles clean and not ruin them?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
brownr72

Post by brownr72 »

We just installed a new tub and new tiles in our bathroom. We have very hard water and its staining the tiles. What can I use to keep the tiles clean and not ruin them? The tiles are ceramic. Thanks.
Odie

Post by Odie »

brownr72;1327016 wrote: We just installed a new tub and new tiles in our bathroom. We have very hard water and its staining the tiles. What can I use to keep the tiles clean and not ruin them? The tiles are ceramic. Thanks.

hello and welcome!

You can use any cleaner really, there are tile cleaners but I just use Fantastic as it cleans everything.
Life is just to short for drama.
Bez

Post by Bez »

White vinegar is good for getting limescale off tiles etc
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

brownr72;1327016 wrote: We just installed a new tub and new tiles in our bathroom. We have very hard water and its staining the tiles. What can I use to keep the tiles clean and not ruin them? The tiles are ceramic. Thanks.
The visible staining is not the only problem with hard water. You'll be changing out all kinds of metal parts that are in constant contact with your water, too. Look in your toilet tank & you're likely to find a lot of corroded parts. Be ready to pay for early replacemnt of your water heater, dishwasher, laundry washer, and maybe even HVAC due to hard water damage.

I invested in a water softening system, and recommend the same for you. Pretty major up-front cost, but you'll be really happy long-term.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

No, You certainly can not use any cleaner on tiles.

Be very careful not to buy an abrasive cleaner that will scour and scratch the tiles meaning hard water stains and grime will be far more difficult to remove In the future.

Think of your tiles like your teeth. If you erode the enamel, they will stain. An abrasive cleaner will eventually take all the shine off your tiles also.

Although there are products on the market that are designed especially for tiles, The Vinegar tip Is a good one.

Always use a damp soft cloth and never an abrasive scourer. You can also use a soft brush.

My husband actually uses Coca Cola that has gone flat for cleaning our bathtub and toilet bowl.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I really cant help but wonder if this guy is going to return at some point and tell YOU all about some marvellous new product.... :-3

Let's hope he proves me wrong and pops back to thank you all :D
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1327364 wrote: I really cant help but wonder if this guy is going to return at some point and tell YOU all about some marvellous new product.... :-3

:wah: I was thinking the exact same thing... We are a bunch of cynics :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1327364 wrote: I really cant help but wonder if this guy is going to return at some point and tell YOU all about some marvellous new product.... :-3

I've been thinkng the same, really makes you wonder.

It was his one and only post.:thinking:
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

There's that echo again.... And I swear I can hear a parrot some-where.... No... Must be the drugs..

Return to “Home Management”