Eurostar train services canceled indefinitely

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

LONDON -The only passenger rail link between Britain and the rest of Europe has been shut down indefinitely, Eurostar said Sunday, promising more travel misery for thousands of stranded passengers just before Christmas.

Services have been suspended since late Friday, when a series of glitches stranded five trains inside the Channel Tunnel and trapped more than 2,000 passengers for hours in stuffy and claustrophobic conditions.

Some panicked passengers stayed underground for more than 15 hours without food or water, or any clear idea of what was going on — prompting outrage from travelers and a promise from Eurostar that no train would enter the tunnel until the issue had been identified and fixed.

Eurostar runs services between England, France and Belgium. The company said Sunday it had traced the problem to "acute weather conditions in northern France," which has seen its worst winter weather in years.

The company did not go into details, but in a statement it said its program to prepare Eurostar trains for winter conditions had not been adequate and that engineers had to "further enhance the snow screens and snow shields in the power cars of the trains."

Story Link: Eurostar train services canceled indefinitely
adam123

Post by adam123 »

I am also thinking about this because i also heard about this from one of my friend who told me about this and many people are in trouble due to this.It is so bad.Govt should do something in order to solve the matter.
=LINK IN SIGNATURE HAS BEEN REMOVED..
droby

Post by droby »

Just recently there was an incident where passengers travelled successfully to france, but their door was not opened, so they were transported back to the UK ( it could have been the other way round, don't quite remember ). They got a refund from management and a free trip, because it appears they were "forgotten" in the train :P Annoying more than anything else. This euro tunnel train does have its fair share of incidents.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I've used the Eurostar service to Brussels. Its fantastic. Can't recommend it highly enough. My high speed commuter service to London uses the same lines into St Pancras International. Very smooth and very fast.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I can't imagine the train will not run again.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1327081 wrote: I can't imagine the train will not run again.

It did very soon after

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh I see, yes I assumed by the last two posts the date this was posted was recent sorry.

Yeah, money talks and building such a travel route is bound to not be derailed.

Well, not figuratively anyway...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Is the chunnel closed? I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know anything about this.

My father was an engineer who helped build the Water Tunnel and the Lincoln tunnel in NY. The men who built the tunnel were called sandhogs. He was invited to visit the Chunnel before it was open to the public. Many of my family travelled to England to visit and spent a lot of time viewing the chunnel. Unfortunately, I had to work :-1~~~~~~grrrrr~~~~~~~.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Kathy Ellen;1327102 wrote: Is the chunnel closed? I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know anything about this.

My father was an engineer who helped build the Water Tunnel and the Lincoln tunnel in NY. The men who built the tunnel were called sandhogs. He was invited to visit the Chunnel before it was open to the public. Many of my family travelled to England to visit and spent a lot of time viewing the chunnel. Unfortunately, I had to work :-1~~~~~~grrrrr~~~~~~~.

No this an old thread Kathy. It was closed for a while at the time of the incident but everything is tickety boo now

Winston Churchill

Return to “Travel Vacation”