Elul

Discuss the Jewish Faith and the Torah.
Shimon

Elul

Post by Shimon »

Ketivah vachatimah tovah

Elul is the best time for teshuvah

On the 1st of Elul, Moses ascended Mount Sinai, the closest any human being ever came to knowing God

This year, Selichot will begin after midnight of Sunday morning, September 5th
xyz

Elul

Post by xyz »

Shimon;1326664 wrote: Moses ascended Mount Sinai, the closest any human being ever came to knowing God
'"No longer will a man teach his neighbour, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know Yehovah,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares Yehovah.' Jer 31:34

When will this occur?
Lon

Elul

Post by Lon »

xyz;1326748 wrote: '"No longer will a man teach his neighbour, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know Yehovah,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest," declares Yehovah.' Jer 31:34

When will this occur?

I think I read somewhere that this will occur on November 22, 2029 at precisely 3:30 PM GMT.
Shimon

Elul

Post by Shimon »

The exact date of the Messianic redemption is guarded and unknown to man.

The Mashiach can come any day, as it says in Sanhedrin 98a, Yerushalmi, Ta’anit 1:1 If they are worthy I will hasten it, if not in its time.

The earth shall be full of the knowledge of God as the waters cover the sea.(Isaiah 11:9)

I see where you got the connection from my post ,but Elul is about the forgiveness of Israel ,Moses remained on the mountain for 40 days, from the 1st of Elul until the 10th of Tishrei (Yom Kippur), Every since, the month of Elul has served as the month of mercy and forgiveness. A time for spiritual reflection and redemption.
xyz

Elul

Post by xyz »

Lon;1326753 wrote: I think I read somewhere that this will occur on November 22, 2029 at precisely 3:30 PM GMT.

This confirms that God is an Englishman, at any rate.
xyz

Elul

Post by xyz »

Shimon;1326767 wrote: The exact date of the Messianic redemption is guarded and unknown to man.
But if it is in the future, it can hardly be said that anyone knows God, not even Moses. Though I don't really see why Moses got the closest to knowing him, just because he went up the mountain. He was not allowed into the Promised Land, and the likes of Samuel, Elisha and Elijah, even David, a man after God's own heart, despite his faults, seem equally close to knowing God. The recorded prophets must have been very aware of God's mind, surely.
Shimon

Elul

Post by Shimon »

God allowed Moses to see his back, but not his face. He allowed him a perception of God's reality but not His essence, the closest any human being ever came to knowing God and taught him the secret of His Thirteen Attributes of Mercy (Exodus 33:18-34:8).

And that is way it says. And you shall know today and take it unto your heart, that Havayah is the Elohim in the heavens above and the earth below, there is nothing else.Samuel, Elisha and Elijah knew him only to his level of Elohim.

Havayah and Elohim are the different names of God that represent different manifestations of His attributes or qualitys. The name Havayah represents revelation, the name Elohim represents all division and limitation. It is the source of all natural order within a creature, It is why we see ourselves as seperate.differant personalitys and qualitys. Thus the name Havayah represents revelation, while the name Elohim represents concealment, resulting in the absence of revelation.

In the beginning, Elohim created, Havayah is the force which brings everything into being, but it is impossible for the creation to come directly from Havayah. It is the name Elohim which enclothes the light of the name Havayah, contracting and concealing it, and limiting it so that it can serve as a source for our limited world. the creation is attributed to the name Elohim, although in truth, its source is the light of Havayah.

Our goal is to bring them togeather as one so we can say Havayah is the Elohim. When Mashiach arrives (within us) The earth shall be full of the knowledge of God

He and his name are one.The link below is an english translation of VeYadaata and can explain way better than I can

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_c ... reword.htm
xyz

Elul

Post by xyz »

Shimon;1326913 wrote: God allowed Moses to see his back, but not his face.
What can be discerned about a person from behind? Almost nothing. It seems as though God was deliberately saying, you will not know me. All Moses knew was that what he had to write was from God, and that was only because of the smoke and trumpet blast. Moses was not allowed into the Promised Land, which does not fit at all with a person who is closest to God.

And yet, knowing God is possible, says Jeremiah.

and taught him the secret of His Thirteen Attributes of Mercy (Exodus 33:18-34:8).
That's no secret at all. It was never described as such, and to say so is ignorant or mendacious.

And that is way it says. And you shall know today and take it unto your heart, that Havayah is the Elohim in the heavens above and the earth below, there is nothing else.Samuel, Elisha and Elijah knew him only to his level of Elohim.
What mind-blowing invention. The name י-ה-ו-ה occurs very many times from early Genesis onwards. In any case, whatever Moses knew, everyone else knew- or should have known.

Your posts should have a large health warning attached.
Saint_

Elul

Post by Saint_ »

What about Adam and Eve? Surely they were pretty close to knowing God. I mean, He was always around in those days.

י-ה-ו-ה - does that translate as "Jehovah" or "Yaweh?"
xyz

Elul

Post by xyz »

Saint_;1326966 wrote: What about Adam and Eve? Surely they were pretty close to knowing God. I mean, He was always around in those days.
Until he wasn't.

י-ה-ו-ה - does that translate as "Jehovah" or "Yaweh?"
Yes.
Shimon

Elul

Post by Shimon »

xyz;1326921 wrote: What can be discerned about a person from behind? Almost nothing. It seems as though God was deliberately saying, you will not know me. All Moses knew was that what he had to write was from God, and that was only because of the smoke and trumpet blast. Moses was not allowed into the Promised Land, which does not fit at all with a person who is closest to God.

And yet, knowing God is possible, says Jeremiah.

That's no secret at all. It was never described as such, and to say so is ignorant or mendacious.

What mind-blowing invention. The name י-ה-ו-ה occurs very many times from early Genesis onwards. In any case, whatever Moses knew, everyone else knew- or should have known.

Your posts should have a large health warning attached.

Exodus Chapter 33

20 And He said: 'Thou canst not see My face, for man shall not see Me and live.' 21 And the LORD said: 'Behold, there is a place by Me, and thou shalt stand upon the rock. 22 And it shall come to pass, while My glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with My hand until I have passed by. 23 And I will take away My hand, and thou shalt see My back; but My face shall not be seen.' {P}

It means He allowed him a perception of God's reality but not His essence.I didnt write it.It is in Tanakh. If you want to take it literally well,take it as you wish.

secret of His Thirteen Attributes of Mercy This refers to that mentioned in Exodus 34:6,7. The Talmud calls them thirteen qualities. This is because on the simple level they are thirteen nuances of how God is patient and merciful to those who sin .The Zohar calls them thirteen paths in order to bring out a deeper truth of how they function.again ,If you want to take it literally well,take it as you wish.

Both Havayah (הוי׳) and E-lohim (א-להים) are names which refer to God. As explained in the Midrash the different names of God represent different manifestations of His attributes.the Hebrew alphabet stems from the place of holiness,HaVaYaH (Yud-Hey-Vav-Hey). Which is never to be pronounced.Even today, among the Jews, Yahweh or Jehovah is never used. what you posted above י-ה-ו-ה literally reads, the and was, because Hebrew has no vowels,But I understand where you got it .

As far as Moses not being allowed to enter Israel , God became so angry at Moses for hitting the rock rather than talking to it that He said, "Because you did not believe in Me to sanctify Me before the eyes of the Children of Israel, therefore you will not bring this congregation to the Land that I have given them" (Numbers 20:12-13). Which also has several spirtual lessons

Please, I am not being argumentative what is your education level in Tanakh and Judaism?
xyz

Elul

Post by xyz »

Shimon;1327014 wrote: It means He allowed him a perception of God's reality but not His essence.I didnt write it.
Nobody else did. You and Walt Disney would have got along well.

The Talmud
Just opinion, not Scripture.

the Midrash
Just opinion, not Scripture.

Which is never to be pronounced.Even today, among the Jews, Yahweh or Jehovah is never used.
Of course it is, as it ever was.

Hebrew has no vowels
Come back when you've got a basic idea.

As far as Moses not being allowed to enter Israel , God became so angry at Moses
Well done. Good! Work on that instead of writing what you find convenient.

Please, I am not being argumentative what is your education level in Tanakh and Judaism?
Way beyond yours, that's for sure (...giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming that you are not the most preposterous liar).
Shimon

Elul

Post by Shimon »

Thats great, what does knowing God mean to you? is it possible ?

If you were talking about nikkudim, People who are fluent do not use vowels and most things written in Hebrew are written without nikkudim.

almost all my thoughts are from Talmud and Sefer Yad ha-Hazaka , I am limited in my thinking. Like I said I dont want to argue Its not my Job. and I would like to know what others think.

Why is it when you express your thoughts people start insulting ? cant you just say you dont agree and state your thoughts on the subject ?

I wanted to know what is your religion? thats all didnt want to start a war.

Shalom ,xyz
xyz

Elul

Post by xyz »

Shimon;1327023 wrote: Thats great, what does knowing God mean to you?
"I will give them לב to know me." Jer 24:7
Shimon

Elul

Post by Shimon »

Thanks,

I havent studied Prophets in many years.I have what I was taught about Jeremiah 24, and will not tire you with it, It has great Chassidic and kabbalistic meaning would you please in a nutshell tell me what chapter 24 means to you? or do you think you already summed it up?

Return to “Judaism”