Speaking Australian

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Rapunzel

Speaking Australian

Post by Rapunzel »

OR How to talk to AussiePam :wah: ;)

In 1965, in a noble attempt to help the rest of us understand Australians, Alistair Morrison published Let Stalk Strine, a glossary of terms used Down Under:

air fridge: average

bandry: boundary

dismal guernsey: decimal currency

egg nishner: air conditioner

garbler mince: a couple of minutes

marmon dead: Mom and Dad

rise up lides: razor blades

sag rapes: sour grapes

split nair dyke: splitting headache

stewnce: students

tiger look: take a look

“Aorta mica laura genst all these cars cummer ninner Sinny. Aorta have more buses. An aorta put more seats innem so you doan tefter stan aller toym — you carn tardly move innem air so crairded.”

The book went through 17 impressions in one year, a sign the problem had gotten completely out of hand. Just a few months before it appeared, the English author Monica Dickens had been signing copies of her latest book in a Sydney shop when a woman handed her a copy and said, “Emma Chisit.” Dickens inscribed the volume “To Emma Chisit” and handed it back. “No,” said the woman, leaning forward: “Emma Chisit?”
K.Snyder

Speaking Australian

Post by K.Snyder »

:wah:
fuzzywuzzy

Speaking Australian

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I don't get it,,,someone explain it to me
Snowfire

Speaking Australian

Post by Snowfire »

Haha Thats choice :wah:

Emma Chissit......:yh_rotfl
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
fuzzywuzzy

Speaking Australian

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

What's an emma chrisit . I'm beginning to find this racially insulting.
K.Snyder

Speaking Australian

Post by K.Snyder »

It's a form of flattery people lets not begin another holocaust
Clodhopper

Speaking Australian

Post by Clodhopper »

Emma Chisit = How much is it, in a wildly OTT Aussie accent.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
mrsK

Speaking Australian

Post by mrsK »

Interesting,interesting.

Doen't sound familiar to me though:confused::confused:
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
fuzzywuzzy

Speaking Australian

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

mrsK;1326033 wrote: Interesting,interesting.

Doen't sound familiar to me though:confused::confused:

Shrugs ..............never heard anyone speak like that ...not even familiar with the examples given . In 1965 people still spoke like the queen.
Odie

Speaking Australian

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1326148 wrote: Shrugs ..............never heard anyone speak like that ...not even familiar with the examples given . In 1965 people still spoke like the queen.

I've never heard of it!:-3
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy

Speaking Australian

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

K.Snyder;1325836 wrote: It's a form of flattery people lets not begin another holocaust

Shrugs again ...I don't see the flattery in a New zealand accent.

OWmuchisit. Would be more accarute I guess. Australians tend to run their words into one . But we don't make up new words to replace others. That's why we are extremely talented on taking on other accents because ours is an accent stripped to it's basic. Where others have to rid their accents, all we have to do is add to ours. That's the reason Americans think that we are Dutch, English, South African, German or New Zealander.

Have a nice day people
Clodhopper

Speaking Australian

Post by Clodhopper »

But we don't make up new words to replace others. That's why we are extremely talented on taking on other accents because ours is an accent stripped to it's basic. Where others have to rid their accents, all we have to do is add to ours. That's the reason Americans think that we are Dutch, English, South African, German or New Zealander.

I'm not taking the mickey here. But I had understood that the Aussie accent was basically Irish crossed with Cockney, reflecting the origins of the bulk of the early immigrants?

Mind you, everyone thinks they speak normally and it's other people who speak in accents that are odd/funny/aggressive/dim- or just plain weird-sounding. I find it interesting that I really struggle to tell the difference between the Aussie and Kiwi accents, whereas the South African one stands out a mile; equally I really struggle with the Northern US and Canadian accents (Deep South accents are much easier).

chuckle. England has never had an accent, we've still got dozens. What most folk from abroad think of as the English accent is Southern Middle Class and is the one that to me sounds accentless, because it is my accent. In Kingston, many people think it is posh. Anyway, I have a suspicion that accents are - very slowly - getting less different, at least over here. It's not so long ago that if you weren't from a region you probably couldn't understand the English spoken there unless the locals made an effort. In my father's time, he said that was true of Devon. When I was a kid I went camping with the Scouts in the Lake District and the farmer who's field we rented brought his son along to translate... Nowadays the only region I know I'm going to have trouble understanding the accent (though it's more accurately a dialect, I would think) is round Glasgow.

And of course, personal accents can change. When I was in Australia (more than 25 years ago now!) after I'd been there about four months there was a phone strike, which meant I could call home free. My Dad's first words were, "My God, you sound Australian!" and to me, instead of sounding "normal" he sounded posh. To Aussies, of course, I just sounded English.

Is the Aussie accent the same everywhere, or can you tell whether a person is from Perth or Brisbane just by accent? (I can't, btw)

I LIKE the fact that we have different accents and dialects. Some are just gorgeous to listen to, most have fascinating words and phases unique to them, and all are interesting.

fuzzywuzzy

Speaking Australian

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Okay I admit it, I've checked myself and I've sounded like Kath and Kim a couple of times because I've been lazy with my speech. All depends on what kind of school you were educated at.

I'm trying to find a youtube clip that has a group of children in the sixties talking and a group in 2000
fuzzywuzzy

Speaking Australian

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Here's some Australian women in an election AD of different racial backgrounds

YouTube - ‪Tony Abbott's archaic views‬‎

Oh this is a good one "21 accents"

BTW My mother thinks my speech is different since being in the country but it's the slang I use rather than a thicker accent. (I tend to use 'reckon' a lot rather than 'I think' and I tend to say 'yeah' and 'right' rather than 'Yes' and 'okay' I do check myself when i go to Melbourne ........I dont' know why I do that.
Clodhopper

Speaking Australian

Post by Clodhopper »

Okay I admit it, I've checked myself and I've sounded like Kath and Kim a couple of times because I've been lazy with my speech. All depends on what kind of school you were educated at.

chuckle. Relaxed "at home" style chat is much less formal and rather more blunt than formal chat. Especially between countries (ruefully...). I've fallen into that mistake once or twice.

Interesting that you are defining accent in terms of education. Here education induced accent differences are down to money and/or region.

Re the Tony Abbot video, I just listened to the accent(s) and while I could hear they were of different flavours they all sounded Aussie more than anything else. And I couldn't be sure any differences I heard weren't down to the individual voices of the women - timbre, pitch, that sort of thing. If one of them had been a Kiwi, I doubt I'd have spotted it on such short clips of each woman. I think I could spot some of the background ethnic accents.

Loved the 21 accents! How were the Aussie ones? I was impressed by the English ones.

I'm beginning to suspect that I spot the accents that have a big non-British input. And that means Dutch in South Africa, and French and Spanish in Southern America, at a guess. I could hear the differences in the accents, but I couldn't tell you which side of the border the Northern Americans and Canadians were, or which side of the Tasman Sea an accent belonged. It's purely a lack of familiarity. Interesting that in both cases (Kiwis' and and Canadians') it is I think an increase of Scots in the accent I'm finding difficult to hear.

My mother thinks my speech is different since being in the country but it's the slang I use rather than a thicker accent. (I tend to use 'reckon' a lot rather than 'I think' and I tend to say 'yeah' and 'right' rather than 'Yes' and 'okay' I do check myself when i go to Melbourne ........I dont' know why I do that.

I think if you spend a long time in a region, your accent will change towards the accent of that region, and Mums will spot that. I suspect too that the different habits of speech are perhaps the beginnings of dialects and reflect our lives. In a way, our own individual way of speaking is our personal signature. :)

mrsK

Speaking Australian

Post by mrsK »

My speech is a lazy drawl.

I went to public school,proud of that.

My friend attended boarding school her speech is a bit posh at times.

I do have a phone voice though,love playing with that.

Also different pronunciation for different states in Australia.

South Australians speech is a bit different to New South wales.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
M.A.S

Speaking Australian

Post by M.A.S »

marmon dead: Mom and Dad
:wah:

I really love Australian accent :-4, it sounds cool when people speak it
I miss you Odie
K.Snyder

Speaking Australian

Post by K.Snyder »

Clodhopper;1326174 wrote: [...]...equally I really struggle with the Northern US and Canadian accents (Deep South accents are much easier). I dated a girl that was from the northern half of Ohio...The first I had heard her mother talk she sounded very Canadian...Obviously the girl I dated vehemontly denied it and refused to accept the idea her mother sounded Canadian...Very, very definite the accent was very similiar...Then I payed more attention to the girl's accent and she had a faint one as well...I hear it constantly from people in the northern states. Of course they deny it to the bone I've never understood why

Clodhopper;1326174 wrote:

In my father's time, he said that was true of Devon. When I was a kid I went camping with the Scouts in the Lake District and the farmer who's field we rented brought his son along to translate... Nowadays the only region I know I'm going to have trouble understanding the accent (though it's more accurately a dialect, I would think) is round Glasgow.

And of course, personal accents can change. When I was in Australia (more than 25 years ago now!) after I'd been there about four months there was a phone strike, which meant I could call home free. My Dad's first words were, "My God, you sound Australian!" and to me, instead of sounding "normal" he sounded posh. To Aussies, of course, I just sounded English.

Is the Aussie accent the same everywhere, or can you tell whether a person is from Perth or Brisbane just by accent? (I can't, btw)

I LIKE the fact that we have different accents and dialects. Some are just gorgeous to listen to, most have fascinating words and phases unique to them, and all are interesting.I've family that travelled here before the Revolution that was from Devon, England. I'd like to visit the place actually. Are the people nice or are they like cockney's? :yh_rotfl! I KID! I KID!

Return to “General Chit Chat”