Hello????

Tightwad

Hello????

Post by Tightwad »

Hello? anyone else listen to SW?

I just finished installing a new antenna (long wire) that helped me pick up Croatia english broadcast for the first time!!!!!!!!

So far I've listened to Havana Cuba, London UK, and Beijing China just to name a few. I find that these stations give me a different slant on news of the day compared to American Media (well duh!)

What have you heard lately??
Tombstone

Hello????

Post by Tombstone »

Tightwad;1325391 wrote: Hello? anyone else listen to SW?

I just finished installing a new antenna (long wire) that helped me pick up Croatia english broadcast for the first time!!!!!!!!

So far I've listened to Havana Cuba, London UK, and Beijing China just to name a few. I find that these stations give me a different slant on news of the day compared to American Media (well duh!)

What have you heard lately??

Very cool! Where are you located? Since I'm closer to the West Coast, my signals tend to favor the Pacific/Far East. I also sometimes get a good path over the pole and pick up Northern European stations and Russia.

A few days ago I was listening to: Radio Ukraine, an Australian station, and of course, the China Int'l station - in English - talking business. Fun to listen!

I think you'd like my setup: a 544 foot loop antenna - up about 40 feet on all sides. :)
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
spot

Hello????

Post by spot »

There's a lot less on SW than when I was younger. I had a 60 foot horizontal wire out of my bedroom window when I was at school and trawled after I'd gone to bed, reception was a lot better at night. I'd get a lot of English-language Eurasian stations, the Cold War financed a lot of those. Most of it was single sideband and squawky but once it got toward midnight it tended not to fade out. I suspect it was educational.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Tombstone

Hello????

Post by Tombstone »

spot;1325935 wrote: There's a lot less on SW than when I was younger. I had a 60 foot horizontal wire out of my bedroom window when I was at school and trawled after I'd gone to bed, reception was a lot better at night. I'd get a lot of English-language Eurasian stations, the Cold War financed a lot of those. Most of it was single sideband and squawky but once it got toward midnight it tended not to fade out. I suspect it was educational.

Yeah, I'd say the heyday of SWL was through the Cold War period. The Internet has certainly put a damper on all things radio - except - surprisingly - for amateur radio. Many said Ham Radio would die or wither a slow painful death due to cell phones, the Internet, etc. Licensed hams in the U.S. has actually been rising steadily these past 10 years.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
OpenMind

Hello????

Post by OpenMind »

Tombstone;1325951 wrote: Yeah, I'd say the heyday of SWL was through the Cold War period. The Internet has certainly put a damper on all things radio - except - surprisingly - for amateur radio. Many said Ham Radio would die or wither a slow painful death due to cell phones, the Internet, etc. Licensed hams in the U.S. has actually been rising steadily these past 10 years.

A friend of mine built his own radio set, kept logs, and all that. I think he said it was the pleasure of being able to speak to people around the globe. Mind you, when he turned 18, he went off and travelled around the world. Two decades later, he turned up at my place with an alsatian in tow that had attached itself to him. Lovely dog. He told me he'd tried to discourage the dog but the dog wouldn't go. He never fed the dog as a way of encouraging it to go but the dog got it's own food so he gave up and ended up adopting it.

He now lives in Cornwall near Bude on a smallholding and is happy as a pig in s--t, which he is most of the time.
spot

Hello????

Post by spot »

Tombstone;1325951 wrote: Licensed hams in the U.S. has actually been rising steadily these past 10 years.Go on, that's all your antifedral survivalists, I bet they're all stocked up on ammo too and Minuteman tattoos.

I've never asked, now I think - have you got a tattoo anywhere?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Shortwave Listening”