How do you plan you meals each daY?

Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

One thing that is important to the diabetic is eating in small 2>4 hour increments to keep the blood sugars even all day instead of 3 large meals each day.

I eat grains for breakfast with a snack of protein then for lunch (4 hr's) I eat a single whole wheat sandwich of lean lunch meat. For supper (4 hrs) I have grains, veggies and 2 oz of protein.

If I vary one bit from that routine my blood sugar goes bonkers. :-5
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

How long have you had diabetes?

How stable are your blood sugars?

Can you enlarge on your menus? i.e., which type of grains and proteins do you eat?

What would a weeks menus consist of for you?

:)
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

You sound a lot slimmer then I am, just based on your diet.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Anyhoot - I've been taking cereal in a baggie to munch for breakfast at my desk and some type of cut up fruit in a container for midmorning. Lunch has mostly been a soup or salad most days and a total cheat when I go eat with friends...lol

Supper is my toughest meal as I have an 11 year old to feed and about half the time it's on the go.

In other words... blood sugar is not so much controlled as it is avoided.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Peg

Post by Peg »

Nothing sends my husband's sugar up like rice does. A candy bar would be better for him than white rice.
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

flopstock;1325359 wrote: You sound a lot slimmer then I am, just based on your diet.

flopstock;1325381 wrote: Anyhoot - I've been taking cereal in a baggie to munch for breakfast at my desk and some type of cut up fruit in a container for midmorning. Lunch has mostly been a soup or salad most days and a total cheat when I go eat with friends...lol

Supper is my toughest meal as I have an 11 year old to feed and about half the time it's on the go.

In other words... blood sugar is not so much controlled as it is avoided.

Oh heck, no I'm a big as a tank! I take some other meds for a different problem that make me gain weight which makes just staying around the same weight tough. (I'm hoping that my new bicycle will help with the weight or just to get moving. Time will tell)

For your other concern......Peanut butter is your friend. I carry small packets of PB all the time so that I have a quick boost as needed or to kill the hunger bug. A jar & spoon of PB could be a great thing for you to keep close at hand 24/7/365.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Peg;1325386 wrote: Nothing sends my husband's sugar up like rice does. A candy bar would be better for him than white rice.

Naturally I love rice. I've eaten it my whole life .. rice with butter, soy sauce.. OMG I think I need a snack..lol

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Planning, with my job and lifestyle is difficult.

The best I have been able to do is set up a basic concept for daily nutrition, and try to stay within the concept.

I try to eat a big breakfast with fruit, fiber and protein.

Then a light carb snack mid morning.

Lunch a balance of carb and protein,

a light snack of some kind, carb and protein, (oddly enough, a small Snickers Bar works well, because it has a nice balance of fat, carb and protein, so it does not kick my Blood sugar up dramatically, yet is satisfies my need for a boost.) The operative word here may also be "small"

then at dinner, I try to have a higher protein meal with low carb, and low fat.

And a small glass of milk with a few cookies shortly before bed.

Of course there are days when I am too busy to catch a snack or a meal, and all bets are off then, but if I stay wit this concept, I can generally eat whatever I want, within the parameters.

I have found that chinese food in America needs to be avoided, because most of the sauces contain high quantities of corn or potato starch as a thickening agent, and when I eat something like that, I can actually feel my blood sugar rising by the minute.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

Porridge & fruit,coffee=breakfast 7am

Fruit Break at school =10am

12 almonds " " =11:15am

Salmon Salad " " = 1pm

Banana = 3:15pm

Light meal protien & veg or salad=6pm

During the day I have green tea.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Friend of mine was diagnosed diabetic a year or so ago and is just now settling into a routine. For most of us, it's our first experience of someone going from non-diabetic to diabetic, and the change in his life has been enormous. For us, it's really a case of making sure we have carbs on hand if he comes round for a visit because his mood swings can be so huge. Still, it's type 2, so currently (touch wood) he's not injecting, and what with the high blood pressure and cancer (now under control) we're just glad he's still with us causing trouble!

"Little and often" seems to be the rule. I shall try it with beer this afternoon.:)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Peg;1325386 wrote: Nothing sends my husband's sugar up like rice does. A candy bar would be better for him than white rice.

Bugger. I mean...that's interesting. I've been eating a lot of rice with salad recently and thought that was quite a good meal to have. Having said that, I haven't tested my blood sugars for quite a while now. Rats! I used to be good and do it several times a week. I'm not even sure where the stupid little machine is. Does this mean no more rice? :(

PS. My rice isn't white. Does that make a difference?
martinabbi

Post by martinabbi »

People with diabetes have the same nutritional needs as anyone else. Learn to eat well-balanced meals in the correct amounts, stay fit, and take your prescribed medications, and you can thrive with diabetes.

Return to “Diabetes”