electricity bills

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
fuzzywuzzy

electricity bills

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Recently australians have been told that we are not paying enough for electricity .....compared tot he rest of the world....ie Europe and America ...my last bill since the rise in the costs, was $662 (normally it is around the $300 to $500 mark) for 91 days.........keeping in mind I do not use electricity for heating (it's winter here so normally that would explain it)

Is it true? do you people pay more for electricty supply?

I thought all these wind farms were supposed to bring down the cost of energy but we are seeing a price rise that is astounding.

I have bottled gas so that's not a problem but the cost of a bottle has risen $15 ....that's okay considering.
Odie

electricity bills

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1324360 wrote: Recently australians have been told that we are not paying enough for electricity .....compared tot he rest of the world....ie Europe and America ...my last bill since the rise in the costs, was $662 (normally it is around the $300 to $500 mark) for 91 days.........keeping in mind I do not use electricity for heating (it's winter here so normally that would explain it)

Is it true? do you people pay more for electricty supply?

I thought all these wind farms were supposed to bring down the cost of energy but we are seeing a price rise that is astounding.

I have bottled gas so that's not a problem but the cost of a bottle has risen $15 ....that's okay considering.

I pay roughly 85.00 per month and more in winter months, mine is a 1,000 sq. foot bungalow......our rates rise 15% each year on all utility's.

with the use of central a/c this summer, I expect it to be close to 120.00 this month.

It can depend on many factors:

an old home like mine that has no insulation, the furnace & air come on every 10 min.

how many sq. feet the home has to cool/warm up?

newer windows help as they keep the drafts out.

windows, doors, entrance ways not being cocked.

how much laundry one does?

how many lights are on?

how long is the t.v on?

do you turn off your downstairs vents in the summer if your running central air?

If not, your wasting the air flow as it doesn't need to be cold downstairs.
Life is just to short for drama.
fuzzywuzzy

electricity bills

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Was listening to a lady on the radio . (a bit of a radical but she did make me think about things.)

If you have your clothes dryer plugged in at the switch it is automatically on 'standby' it doesn't need one of those standby lights to tell you it's on standby ......same as the washer ....these two items not switched off at the power point can cost up to $18 at the end of your bill period.

This was news to me considering I believed that things needed a light to show you it had 'standby' you know like the TV and PC and microwave. Plug in Kettles are a huge power waster on 'stand by'. Switch off your electric kettle at the switch and have a look at your metre cylinder....then turn it back on again ...remarkable.
Richard Bell

electricity bills

Post by Richard Bell »

My last bill was CDN $150 for two months. That's taxes, "delivery charge", "debt retirement" and whatever else they tack on to it.

Ontario has switched to a "time of use" system, when it's more expensive in the peak hours, so you can save by doing the dishes, laundry, etc. after 9:00 PM, or on weekends.
fuzzywuzzy

electricity bills

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

9 pm????? our's is 11 pm. apparently you should do all your washing and drying and heating after 11 pm at night ........does that make sence to anybody else here .????

but here's the catch if I put the clothes dryer on at 11 pm it's on stand by until morning after it finishes drying hte clothes ...how does that add up? I dont' get it
chonsigirl

electricity bills

Post by chonsigirl »

I pay $200/month with no AC on in the summer, $400-450/month in the winter for heat.
fuzzywuzzy

electricity bills

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

hmmm seems we have been the lucky country ..not anymore.
chonsigirl

electricity bills

Post by chonsigirl »

On the east coast, we still pay 3 times as much fuzzy-it is ridiculous.
fuzzywuzzy

electricity bills

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

hhhhhmmm I thought all of the green stuff was supposed to bring the costs down ...but you're right it really is absurd.
chonsigirl

electricity bills

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, and another green bills proposed here to-with a tax increase of $120-180/year for every family! Bunch of spenders in that Congress. :(
Odie

electricity bills

Post by Odie »

Richard Bell;1324391 wrote: My last bill was CDN $150 for two months. That's taxes, "delivery charge", "debt retirement" and whatever else they tack on to it.

Ontario has switched to a "time of use" system, when it's more expensive in the peak hours, so you can save by doing the dishes, laundry, etc. after 9:00 PM, or on weekends.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

That's around what I pay, I have had the smart-reader for years and have always done laundry etc in the non-peak hours......I still see no difference.

to me, it was another tax grab for installation of the new meters.
guppy

electricity bills

Post by guppy »

Ours runs about four hundred in the summer and about half that in the winter..and it is worth every single penny..i love summer..esp right now when it is heat index around a hundred and ten ..yep..i love it..looking out my windows from my nice cool house..:P
fuzzywuzzy

electricity bills

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I was talking to the guy who reads the meter on the house and he said that the New meter boxes won't be in for another five years because at the moment there has to be a tower every 4 km's, I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck you can install technology and not be able to use it because they don't have the technology to work it..........could you imagine what the inner suburbs of a city would look like ? Phone towers every twelve kms' electricity towers every 4 km's..........
Odie

electricity bills

Post by Odie »

fuzzywuzzy;1325208 wrote: I was talking to the guy who reads the meter on the house and he said that the New meter boxes won't be in for another five years because at the moment there has to be a tower every 4 km's, I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck you can install technology and not be able to use it because they don't have the technology to work it..........could you imagine what the inner suburbs of a city would look like ? Phone towers every twelve kms' electricity towers every 4 km's..........

You should see all the tower's and lines here.

the new meters don't do any good, we already know peak times.

to me....they were just a government grab.
Lon

electricity bills

Post by Lon »

Just got my Utility Bill for Electricity online------$196.45 for the month of July. Our house is all electric, fridge, stove and oven, washer dryer, heating and air conditioning, garage door openers-----------only gas is for hot water heater. We have used the air conditioning daily all during the month of July. The bill also includes garbage pick up once per week via a 40 gallon bin.
Odie

electricity bills

Post by Odie »

Lon;1325855 wrote: Just got my Utility Bill for Electricity online------$196.45 for the month of July. Our house is all electric, fridge, stove and oven, washer dryer, heating and air conditioning, garage door openers-----------only gas is for hot water heater. We have used the air conditioning daily all during the month of July. The bill also includes garbage pick up once per week via a 40 gallon bin.

that's why its so expensive, its electric.

mine is gas and I just paid 95.00 for July. ....... a/c has run all of July.
Lon

electricity bills

Post by Lon »

Odie;1325863 wrote: that's why its so expensive, its electric.

mine is gas and I just paid 95.00 for July. ....... a/c has run all of July.

I wasn't complaining----------I thought it was a bargain.
K.Snyder

electricity bills

Post by K.Snyder »

Well, yeah, there's that, and then there's David Butcher: Pedal Powered Generator - DIY Plans

David Butcher: Pedal Power Cut Your Electric Bill by 10%

Anybody know what is the highest energy output produced by a magnet generator? I'm curious.

Return to “General Chit Chat”