Smokers Dilemma

Lon

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Lon »

I am convinced that every smoker really wants to quit, but can't, and it's really frustrating for them. They will rationalize by saying "oh I really enjoy it and don't want to quit". Bull---t, they can't get past 24 to 48 hours. My rationalization when I smoked was to say "well, mom and dad both smoked into their 90's and died of something unrelated". I tried hypnosis, group therapy, the patch, Nicorette and I still couldn't get past 48 hours. What bugged me most of all was the fact that I couldn't control it, and yet, I could control most other things in my life, and I am one that likes to be in control.

Oh boy, I would crawl on broken beer bottles to a 7-11 at three AM to get my Viceroy. I've looked in the car ashtray, in the gutter trying to find a stub to light. Yes, it bothers me today, to sit next to someone smoking that smells like a sewer and I don't enjoy being in a smoked filled room (I leave), but the compassionate side of me understands and knows the problem. 20 years ago I was hospitalized for 5 days and couldn't smoke. With the meds they were giving me, I really didn't want one. That's all I needed. After five days, the desire and craving were gone. Too bad all smokers couldn't just go to sleep for 5 days. I'm convinced that when they woke up the craving would be gone.
Peg

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Peg »

I once told the doctor that if he wanted me to stop smoking, put me in the hospital for 3-5 days, keep me sedated, and that might work. He wouldn't go for it LOL. I know a guy who smoked 2 packs a day for years. He went in for a heart attack and the doctor looked down at him and said, "Smoke another cigarette and you will die." It did it for him.
abbey

Smokers Dilemma

Post by abbey »

My Aunt had a massive stroke, she lost the use of the left hand side of her body & was hospitalized for 4 months.

She had to go into a residential nursing home when she was released, and the first day out of hospital she was back on the ciggies!
valerie

Smokers Dilemma

Post by valerie »

I have a picture of my cousin and her 3 kids visiting their dad/grandad

in the hospital dying of lung cancer... and they all have cigarettes!

(This is years ago when you could, believe it or not, smoke in a hospital!)

My best friend was a smoker almost all the time I knew her, and due to

her lupus would have to be hospitalized and I'd go visit. This time the

hospital had "smoking area" and we'd trundle all the way down 5-6 flights,

her in a wheelchair and me wheeling along the IV bottle. To sit in a room

with all the other sick hospital patients who had to have a cigarette!!

What a terrible addiction to have.

:(
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

LWR VENTURES

Smokers Dilemma

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Well smokers do enjoy smoking. That is one reason why it is so hard to quit. A smoker saying I just don’t enjoy this so I’m going to try and quit. Has just doomed themselves to fail. First of all. They know they do like it. So they base it on a lie. Then they say they are going to TRY. Setting up a way out before they even start. They should never say “try”. Just do it, or don’t! Their is no shame in failing. But no reason to acknowledge its possibility before starting. Just because you enjoy something is not a good enough reason to risk your and others health. I.E., most would enjoy being rich. That does not excuse them to rob a bank.
ice maiden

Smokers Dilemma

Post by ice maiden »

i am a smoker and i hate the habit i have tried many times to give up and failed i was told to stop or they would not treat me to have my kids so i stopped for 3years 5 weeks after my daughters birth i started again i was so stressed and back at work i had to return to work so early for money reasons wasting money on cigs silly or what now i would love to stop
john8pies

Smokers Dilemma

Post by john8pies »

I smoked for 30 years or so consuming an average of 20-25 cigs a day. I tried on several occasions to give it up :-5 and once even managed for 18 months then I found the lodger dead upstairs and accepted a cigarette without thinking about it. Eventually I went to a `Stop Smoking` course organies by work, where the nurse taking the course actually had the ultimate deterrent - she took my blood pressure, then LET me go outside for a cigarette, then when I returned she took my BP again and it was so much higher the effect was colossal.

Then she said, "And with your weight and hypertension problems, smoking will probably see you die 20 years or so before you need to.....do you want to stay alive to see your children grow up?????!"

WEll, how could I continue smoking after that. I finished the packet I had on me (at 9.15PM on 22 March, 1994 - that`s how well I remember it) and haven`t smoked since.

I report this not to boast about my own achievement but to say I really think if the incentive is good enough, you WILL be able to give up. Good Luck!!! ;)
ice maiden

Smokers Dilemma

Post by ice maiden »

thanks for the story you would think i had the message by now but the task is hard but i will try again soon hopfully this time it will work thanks again :-4
greydeadhead

Smokers Dilemma

Post by greydeadhead »

well.. it took me 7.. or 8 attempts to quit smoking. And considering that nicotine is a highly addictive drug I can see why. But.. I also had to break the routine of when I had a smoke. Jump in the car for work.. lite one up... coffee break.. another one.. have a beer.. smokey time... etc etc... once I decided that I wanted to quit..and that is key, I had to break the routine of when I had a smoke.. that was tuff too.. actually harder than stopping smoking. But, once I broke the routines I found I could quit. That is not saying that everynow and again I don't get the urge to fire one up.. hell.. the other day this person lite up and I smelled it.. ohhhhhh man did that smell wonderful.. but I didn't fall back.. I do feel much better health wise.. soooo.. good luck.. you can do it if you really want to..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
ice maiden

Smokers Dilemma

Post by ice maiden »

thanks foe the advice :-4
minks

Smokers Dilemma

Post by minks »

smoking is an addiction and should be treated like an addiction and basically smokers need to go into detox. I have seen it kill enough people and I have seen those who want to quit, those who have tried to quit, those who refuse to quit and those who think I am on crack for suggesting they quit.

I wish there was a smokers detox centre. Like Peg said put yourself in the hospital for 3-5 days without the weed.

I sympathize with you smokers as some very close people to my heart have been affected by the weed.

Those of you who want to quit smoking I wish you luck and maybe ask friends and family to really push you along and work with you. The sad thing from what I understand is it is rediculously easy to get back into it again and the craving really never leaves you.

Wish I could help.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Jives

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Jives »

Lon wrote: I am convinced that every smoker really wants to quit, but can't, and it's really frustrating for them. I tried hypnosis, group therapy, the patch, Nicorette and I still couldn't get past 48 hours.

I absolutely agree, Lon. My poor wife is the same way. She's tried it all, but still cries herself to sleep each night because she can't quit. Smoking killed my father, it's killing my wife, and it will kill my son. My whole family wiped out.

WEll, how could I continue smoking after that. I finished the packet I had on me (at 9.15PM on 22 March, 1994 - that`s how well I remember it) and haven`t smoked since.

And congratulations to John8pies!! Way to go, that makes you two two of the very very few people that I know that have ever successfully quit.!

All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Betty Boop

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Betty Boop »

I smoke and I don't really 'enjoy' it anymore. I'm continually trying to cut down, it helps that the majority of my freinds don't smoke and find it irritating and make no bones about telling you that you stink! My husband also smokes and I know that I will get no support there when I do quit.
LWR VENTURES

Smokers Dilemma

Post by LWR VENTURES »

So are the smokers here looking for sympathy, or help. Sure it is an

extremely addictive substance. But if you keep putting up reasons why you can’t quit, you wont. “I can’t quit” ! That’s the first lie. You can quit! So if that’s a lie, then the truth must be, you wont quit. I don’t believe you are helping the situation by trying to pretend you are not enjoying it. Accept certain facts. 1. You do enjoy it. 2. You can quit. 3. You are choosing not to quit. Believe #1 and # 2. Then change # 3. The Hospital stay will work for some. But not for all. Each persons addiction is as different as the people them selves. A smoker is not tring to quit one habit. But several hundred habits at the same time. For example. Lighting up after a meal, and lighting up when waking up, are two different habits. Of course they are caused by the same addiction. But you have to prepare and deal with each habit. A task that is mind boggling. Any smoker that accomplishes this deserves a heroes parade. But at the risk of sounding like Yoda. There is no try. Do, or do not. Stop saying can’t. It simply is not true. Good luck, and god bless anyone fighting this battle. My hats off to the X smokers on this forum. Hopefully there will be a few more of you soon. :-6
ice maiden

Smokers Dilemma

Post by ice maiden »

i plan to try again next week with the inhaler so i should say i will be stopping next week
LWR VENTURES

Smokers Dilemma

Post by LWR VENTURES »

Way to go ice maiden! Plan to do it. Don't plan to try. Wish you the best!
ice maiden

Smokers Dilemma

Post by ice maiden »

thanks i will try still to be nice promise .
David813

Smokers Dilemma

Post by David813 »

I'm a smoker and have never had any desire to quit. There is heart disease in my family history and smoking was a factor in my maternal grandparents being snuffed out at 70. I suppose I'll quit my Marlboro 100's when I have a serious illness.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
David813

Smokers Dilemma

Post by David813 »

TW2005 wrote: What about the other substance you smoke?:yh_giggle What on Earth are you talking about?:yh_hypno
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
john8pies

Smokers Dilemma

Post by john8pies »

Yes smoking is a dreadful, dirty, dangerous, costly habit. But some people enjoy it. However their smoke also has a detrimental effect on other people. My own view is that if it had been invented for the first time say TODAY then it would immediately have been banned. But, and this is another reason why so many people find it so hard to give it up, tobacco companies and other vested interests are not only trying to keep people smoking, but also expanding into other countries to encourage people to smoke MORE to make up for lost sales elsewhere. Good Luck to anybody who is trying to give it up!
lou-lou

Smokers Dilemma

Post by lou-lou »

undefinedHiundefined

Hiya i gave up smoking just over three months ago it wasn't easy and still isn't my brother died just under two years ago from a massive heart attack caused by smoking among other things i smoked for over 20 years (the weed as well!!!!) noone but you can decide to give uo good luck

lou-lou :-6
stigletz

Smokers Dilemma

Post by stigletz »

well it is a mother of a habit to break,i am 3 months out on being quite,first and for most the correct mindset is essential.i quit on chantix it works well,the side effects are intense
Tightwad

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Tightwad »

Lon;56141 wrote: I am convinced that every smoker really wants to quit, but can't, and it's really frustrating for them.

Sorry to say that ,in this case, you would be wrong. Not all "smokers" want to quit since there is at least one method of tobacco use that is very rewarding without all the bad stuff that goes with the most foul cigarette.

That would be the pipe.

I've smoked a pipe on and off since I was 15 (I'm 64 now) and there is not anyway , and nor anyone, that will take that simple gentle pleasure away from me. Most pipe smokers also feel the same way I do and they hate cigarettes as much as I do to boot!

A good pipe with sweet tobacco is a gift of calm in a topsy turvy world that is not a habit but an island of calm in that storm. Tea ,or coffee, and a pipe enjoyed is one of life's real pleasures. :yh_sungla:yh_sungla
Kathy Ellen

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Tightwad;1324088 wrote: Sorry to say that ,in this case, you would be wrong. Not all "smokers" want to quit since there is at least one method of tobacco use that is very rewarding without all the bad stuff that goes with the most foul cigarette.

That would be the pipe.

I've smoked a pipe on and off since I was 15 (I'm 64 now) and there is not anyway , and nor anyone, that will take that simple gentle pleasure away from me. Most pipe smokers also feel the same way I do and they hate cigarettes as much as I do to boot!

A good pipe with sweet tobacco is a gift of calm in a topsy turvy world that is not a habit but an island of calm in that storm. Tea ,or coffee, and a pipe enjoyed is one of life's real pleasures. :yh_sungla:yh_sungla

I love the sweet smell of a pipe, but yes it can give you cancer....

Pipe Smoking | AHealthyMe.com
devist8me

Smokers Dilemma

Post by devist8me »

I quit smoking 2 years ago this past March. For me, it was just a matter of saying to myself that this was it. I did not want my kids to see me smoke and smoke themselves someday. I tried several methods over 20 years to quit but always started again.

I stopped this time with the aid of Chantix. I only took it for 4 months but attribute my quitting to that. I miss smoking every single day. When I walk past a smoking area outside, I find myself taking in a deep breath....MMMMMmmmm do I ever miss it. But, I also know if I even take one drag, I will be back to a pack a day smoking habit. That keeps me smoke free.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Tightwad

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Tightwad »

Kathy Ellen;1324093 wrote: I love the sweet smell of a pipe, but yes it can give you cancer....

Pipe Smoking | AHealthyMe.com

Cancer from smoking is NOT a given. Like anything else life has risk. I learned 40+ years ago laying in the rice paddies of S.E. Asia that nothing else matters when you are ALIVE and enjoying your life.

Way to many people today have been brainwashed in to being afraid to live life and not sweat the small stuff even if that small stuff is death.

Oh yes, I don't need ,nor want, to know any of the junk science that comes from links like the one posted above. I've never been able to post online about my love of the pipe without having some do gooder parrot some "study" or link to all the bad stuff about tobacco. I know that tobacco over use is bad but so is hot lead incoming. I'll take the tobacco............
Kathy Ellen

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Geez, chill out please.
Tightwad

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Tightwad »

Kathy Ellen;1324344 wrote: Geez, chill out please.

Oh, I'm cool. However, it's never good manners to admonish someone else when you don't have your facts straight no matter how well meaning the comment.

It's a fact that 99.99% of all current info on tobacco is both inaccurate and propaganda. Now for a smart person you don't want to repeat propaganda.....do you?

And yes, like all who enjoy tobacco we are all past tired of the attacks from a public that has been feed anti tobacco propaganda for 30+ years so that they don't ask questions of the real agenda of the anti tobacco crowd.
Lon

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Lon »

Tightwad;1324088 wrote: Sorry to say that ,in this case, you would be wrong. Not all "smokers" want to quit since there is at least one method of tobacco use that is very rewarding without all the bad stuff that goes with the most foul cigarette.

That would be the pipe.

My initial post pertains to cigarette smokers, not cigar or pipe smokers who are a totally different category.
guppy

Smokers Dilemma

Post by guppy »

I go for days at a time and dont smoke..some nighst when i go to work..i go out with the smokers and join em..other nights i wont..odd isnt it...
JacksDad

Smokers Dilemma

Post by JacksDad »

guppy;1324412 wrote: I go for days at a time and dont smoke..some nighst when i go to work..i go out with the smokers and join em..other nights i wont..odd isnt it...

So you don't need it. Can I get you some gum?
guppy

Smokers Dilemma

Post by guppy »

dont chew gum..heard it was bad for your health..:)
Tightwad

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Tightwad »

Lon;1324398 wrote: My initial post pertains to cigarette smokers, not cigar or pipe smokers who are a totally different category.

Sorry to say that to the general public no such distinction is made. Smokers are smokers are smokers which give the pipe/cigar smokers a bad rap.

This is that "propaganda" I spoke of hard at work demonizing all who smoke when as you pointed out they are NOT all the same.

When it comes to cigarettes.......I'll pour the gas on them...If you'll light the match!

Bleech! Very nasty they are............
Lon

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Lon »

Tightwad;1324609 wrote: Sorry to say that to the general public no such distinction is made. Smokers are smokers are smokers which give the pipe/cigar smokers a bad rap.

This is that "propaganda" I spoke of hard at work demonizing all who smoke when as you pointed out they are NOT all the same.

When it comes to cigarettes.......I'll pour the gas on them...If you'll light the match!

Bleech! Very nasty they are............

Although Pipe and Cigar smokers get some residual smoke they do not get the deep inhalation that goes with cigarette smokers and therefore it's rare for them to develop lung cancer. Yes, Pipe and Cigar Smokers can get lip and throat cancer (but so can non smokers). There is a decided difference between these two groups. Although I now hate the smell of cigarette smoke I love the smell of a cigar and pipe tobacco.
Tightwad

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Tightwad »

Lon;1324622 wrote: Although Pipe and Cigar smokers get some residual smoke they do not get the deep inhalation that goes with cigarette smokers and therefore it's rare for them to develop lung cancer. Yes, Pipe and Cigar Smokers can get lip and throat cancer (but so can non smokers). There is a decided difference between these two groups. Although I now hate the smell of cigarette smoke I love the smell of a cigar and pipe tobacco.

When you consider that most pipe and cigar smokers only enjoy a pipe/cigar (and by cigar I will make the distinction that I mean a high quality cigar not the drug store junk that passes for a cigar) will only smoke one or two bowls (cigars) a day that lowers the risk to really manageable amount.
Kathy Ellen

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Tightwad,

Think that you and I got on the wrong foot the other day and would like to make amends.

I wasn't trying to criticize you about your pipe smoking. I'm just aware of all the cancer scares..real or not about smoking anything.

I've been there, done that...smoked cigarettes since I was 13 years old....awful...parents never knew that I was smoking that young.

Finally gave up the cigs when my best friend died because of throat cancer due to cigs...threw my cigs across the street after the funeral and will never, ever smoke cigs again. That was many years ago.

I believe now that I won't smoke cigs again, but I love to have a wee, sweet cigar once in a while. I really enjoy these wee cigars especially when my family and friends are around.

So, I've bought some wee cigars and a humidor and still don't know how to use it. Bought the humidor to store some cigars for my family to enjoy.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... igars.html
Tightwad

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Tightwad »

Kathy Ellen;1324697 wrote: Hi Tightwad,

Think that you and I got on the wrong foot the other day and would like to make amends.

I wasn't trying to criticize you about your pipe smoking. I'm just aware of all the cancer scares..real or not about smoking anything.

I've been there, done that...smoked cigarettes since I was 13 years old....awful...parents never knew that I was smoking that young.

Finally gave up the cigs when my best friend died because of throat cancer due to cigs...threw my cigs across the street after the funeral and will never, ever smoke cigs again. That was many years ago.

I believe now that I won't smoke cigs again, but I love to have a wee, sweet cigar once in a while. I really enjoy these wee cigars especially when my family and friends are around.

So, I've bought some wee cigars and a humidor and still don't know how to use it. Bought the humidor to store some cigars for my family to enjoy.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... igars.html

I applaud anyone who can give up the nicotine delivery device called the "cigarette"!! As to a cigar for a lady.....why not? or a small lady pipe even? Both are geared for a few minutes of calm in what is often a hectic day.

As to did I get "mad" at your link to anti tobacco propaganda? yes and no. I figure most people today haven't been able to escape the anti-tobacco propaganda so they don't know any better. But I sure am getting tired of people dog piling the post who mentions smoking in a positive context. I say to hell with all of them for being so insensitive.

I know you ment well so all is well..........
Saint_

Smokers Dilemma

Post by Saint_ »

Lon;56141 wrote: I am convinced that every smoker really wants to quit, but can't, and it's really frustrating for them. They will rationalize by saying "oh I really enjoy it and don't want to quit". Bull---t, they can't get past 24 to 48 hours. My rationalization when I smoked was to say "well, mom and dad both smoked into their 90's and died of something unrelated". I tried hypnosis, group therapy, the patch, Nicorette and I still couldn't get past 48 hours. What bugged me most of all was the fact that I couldn't control it, and yet, I could control most other things in my life, and I am one that likes to be in control.

Oh boy, I would crawl on broken beer bottles to a 7-11 at three AM to get my Viceroy. I've looked in the car ashtray, in the gutter trying to find a stub to light. Yes, it bothers me today, to sit next to someone smoking that smells like a sewer and I don't enjoy being in a smoked filled room (I leave), but the compassionate side of me understands and knows the problem. 20 years ago I was hospitalized for 5 days and couldn't smoke. With the meds they were giving me, I really didn't want one. That's all I needed. After five days, the desire and craving were gone. Too bad all smokers couldn't just go to sleep for 5 days. I'm convinced that when they woke up the craving would be gone.

Crap. Welcome to my world. My wife is a chain smoker. Nothing she's tried has worked and she tried everything like you. funny thing is, she's been hospitalized lots of times, and the first thing she does when she gets out? Light up. I've just resigned myself to the fact that she'll die before me...

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”