7 Secrets to a Happy Retirement

Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

With so many people looking at the chrystal ball wondering how they will fare in retirement the need not worry so much......

secrets-to-happy-retirement: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

"Enough money. Of course you'll need enough money to support your chosen lifestyle in retirement. But beyond that, more money will not make you happier. The Watson Wyatt survey found that the absolute amount of money you have for retirement is less important than how your retirement income compares to your income before retirement. If you have enough to continue your pre-retirement lifestyle, you have enough."

So you see life stopped being all about money the day you stopped full time working.

I've been retired for 7 years now and have never had a better time in my whole life by not worrying about about darn money......I just always seem to have enough.

P.S. One very well kept secret is that when you retire the "cost of working" now becomes yours to spend free and clear!!!!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm counting down 3 years to go to 66 1/2 to get full benefits if I make it that long. 2 years till I'm 65 if I retire at 65 I still get good money can't wait.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Bail at 62 to enjoy a longer fuller retirement life and the most money you can ever get OVER TIME!
Lon

Post by Lon »

:):)I have been retired now for 19 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. Fortunately money has not nor will it be a problem. This is due primarily because during my working career I always lived a bit under my means. Had nice homes and cars, but never went over board. Dressed and ate well, but never over did that either. I saved and invested on a regular basis knowing that Social Security would not provide the standard of living I desired. Given the longevity of my parents I suspect that I am good for another 15 to 20 years before I croak, and though these creaky knees are bothersome from time to time and interfere with my athletic prowess the mind and reflexes are lightning fast. Life is good!
bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

I haven't worked a day since June 26, 2010 when my Intel job came to an end due to my plant closing. I had 18 months notice that this was going to happen. That gave me enough time to make some strategic financial moves. They included finding the cheapest place to live, saving me over $300 a month. Next I had to spend money in order to save money. I bought a new motorcycle and a new car. My bike was actually a 250cc Piaggio touring scooter, powerful enough to carry me on interstates at up to 70 mph while getting 71 mpg. Next came my car, a new 2009 SmartForTwo Pure, a proven winner in Europe and marketed in the states by Mercedes. I picked up a 41 mpg loaded new car for $13,500. I paid both these vehicles completely off before losing my job. I cleared off all bills including getting myself down to one credit card with a $0 balance. With no bills and an economical lifestyle retirement at age 62 is a piece of cake.
Cody Wellard

Post by Cody Wellard »

I think it is important to enjoy life pre-retirement as well, just in case you don't make it!
Lon

Post by Lon »

Cody Wellard;1361858 wrote: I think it is important to enjoy life pre-retirement as well, just in case you don't make it!

Some don't make it to pre-retirement.
Cody Wellard

Post by Cody Wellard »

So true!
danielmorris

Post by danielmorris »

Thanks for sharing these great secrets which was helpful to enjoy a lot in retirement period.
Cai20

Post by Cai20 »

I'm counting more years before I retire.

Return to “Retirement Planning”