A way to still contribute

Shimon

Post by Shimon »

When I was young my family valued educational achievements. By the time I was 10, I had already won several Math and writing competitions, Study became my drug of choice.

The first 20 years of my life was seen as a time of little or no achievement, Study and growth is all that was accomplished. The next 30 years was the time in which my creative energies were realized marriage, children, work .As I enter my so called twilight years, I have to put the period of real achievement behind me.

Every day for last 30 yrs I could not wait for the day’s activities to end so I can study Parshah. No television or movies or novels.

What For?

The Talmud says, "Today is the time to do; tomorrow, to reap the reward." The very fact that God has granted a person a single additional day of bodily life means that he has not yet concluded his mission in life, that there is still something for him to achieve in this world.

The promise of a happy retirement is a cruel myth. the very nature of human life is that man knows true happiness only when creatively contributing to the world .

I have been very sick and unable to perform my professional duties, Thank God for forums like this, It keeps me busy and out of my wife’s hair.

I would love to research any questions about Kabbalah or Torah.(both the same to me)

A way to still contribute,I do not care what religion you follow and will never say my way is the only way,will back up with scriptural passages

Thank you
Lon

Post by Lon »

Be well Rabbi.
Shimon

Post by Shimon »

Thank you Lon for your Rachamim,

Just a little colon cancer but had heart problems while in hospital

I know that every illness is a message from God to take appropriate spiritual action, trusting that healing ultimately comes from God alone,

Guess I have become a Alter bok (old goat)
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Ah, the old ones know to sit back and observe the situation, learn to detach themselves from the physical and think of the spiritual side of things.

As I enter my so called twilight years, I have to put the period of real achievement behind me.

I think they are just beginning.

My question is: what is the relevance of the Kaballah today-it was very intensified in their searching of the Scriptures during a time hundreds of years ago. The Torah is always relevant, it is the divine word of God. Has rabbinical interpretation changed in the last hundred years, than what it was originally? Or is it a work in progress?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Just a thought, but have you considered charity work? I imagine that you are not perhaps as physically strong as you were so pounding the streets might not be appropriate, but there is a lot of telephone work you can do. I'm thinking of something like our Samaritans, which provides a helpline for the desperate and suicidal. The Samaritans are UK only, but according to their Homepage there is an international organisation doing the same sort of thing: Befrienders Worldwide.

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Shimon

Post by Shimon »

chonsigirl;1323521 wrote: Ah, the old ones know to sit back and observe the situation, learn to detach themselves from the physical and think of the spiritual side of things.

I think they are just beginning.

My question is: what is the relevance of the Kaballah today-it was very intensified in their searching of the Scriptures during a time hundreds of years ago. The Torah is always relevant, it is the divine word of God. Has rabbinical interpretation changed in the last hundred years, than what it was originally? Or is it a work in progress?

The Mishna says: Moses received (kibel) Torah on Sinai and subsequently transmitted it to Joshua, Joshua transmitted it to the Elders because Moses kibel Torah was the paradigm of complete and total kabbala

Kabbala was guarded by the master prophets and transmitted to select disciples who were very learned in Torah. Mishna in Tractate Chagigah, says: Kabbala may be taught only to individual students one at a time, and they must be wise, understanding with their own knowledge.And only Jewish Males over the age of 40. By restricting its practices to the smallest possible circle of masters. Outside of this circle these practices would remain almost totally unknown. As of 1995 The Kabbala was open to anyone.( true Kabbala does not know human religion, I know a great Kabbalist who lives in the midwest who is a Baptist preacher)

The great masters of Kabbala transmitted their teachings orally; it was their students who wrote it down.As the generations continued to decrease in wisdom and holiness, more and more Torah secrets had to be presented in written form, otherwise people would have been unable to perceive the light.Rabbi Isaac Luria (1534-1572), referred to as the Ari,is the master who most follow his teachings today
Shimon

Post by Shimon »

clodhopper, I am and do ,as part of my past responsibilitys was the distrubution of fund to various groups

thank you I wish everyone thought your way
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Rabbi Shimon:-6

It is a pleasure that you've joined our garden and hope you enjoy your time here. We have a lovely group of people in FG who sparkle and enjoy life.

Stay well, be at peace, and have many wonderful conversations with our group. Just watch out for the bunny droppings and lovely, wee aliens who get caught under your feet sometimes:wah:

Shimon

Post by Shimon »

there is a reference in the biblical Book of Judges (5:23) to an inhabited place called Maroz, which the Talmud identifies as a star

Sure would'nt want to step on one.

Thank you Kathy

Return to “General Religious Discussions”