Cranky ??

A forum for our physically challenged members.
Tightwad

Cranky ??

Post by Tightwad »

Does your disability make you cranky and all out of sorts at times ?

Well, mine does since I've gotten older. Some days I hate myself I'm so out of sorts from the discomfort. I hate it cause my wonderful wife gets left alone when I'm like this 'cause I don't want her bearing the brunt of my bad manners and complaints so I spend time away from her in the yard or garage puttering with my bicycles.

How do you deal with the constant discomfort ?
chonsigirl

Cranky ??

Post by chonsigirl »

I have to listen to it, 24/7 when home. But then, he is ill now, so I put up with him-and his thieving ways of raiding the goodies while I was at summer school today!

I'm sure you never do anything like that. :)
along-for-the-ride

Cranky ??

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Sometimes, I think pain is reminder to us that we are human. For me, after a bout with pain finally ends, I feel so good, relieved...........I survived. I sympathize with you, especially if you get no relief. But you must remember that you are part of a couple. Just a simple hug, or a corny joke, or just a touch of your hand may be all she needs from you. I'm sure she wishes that she could take your pain away. And she cherishes you and the moments you do have together. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you are a good guy.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Cranky ??

Post by Lon »

Tightwad;1323647 wrote: Does your disability make you cranky and all out of sorts at times ?

Well, mine does since I've gotten older. Some days I hate myself I'm so out of sorts from the discomfort. I hate it cause my wonderful wife gets left alone when I'm like this 'cause I don't want her bearing the brunt of my bad manners and complaints so I spend time away from her in the yard or garage puttering with my bicycles.

How do you deal with the constant discomfort ?

Well-----I am 76 years old and have the usual aches and pains that go along with the aging process. In addition, I have Lymphoma (Waldenstrom's Disease) that causes a certain amount of physical discomforts that I need not elaborate on. Despite these inconveniences I have found it extremely helpful to stay physically active. I played 18 holes of golf this AM and walked 9 of them. Yesterday I played Pickleball for two hours.

For me, this type of activity actually either eliminates or greatly reduces any discomfort that I am having. At least for the time of the activity that I am involved in. It's the endorphins. It actually works.

Endorphins: Natural Pain and Stress Fighters - Arthritis and Arthritic Conditions, Medications, Symptoms, and Treatment on MedicineNet.com
Tightwad

Cranky ??

Post by Tightwad »

along-for-the-ride;1323654 wrote: Sometimes, I think pain is reminder to us that we are human. For me, after a bout with pain finally ends, I feel so good, relieved...........I survived. I sympathize with you, especially if you get no relief. But you must remember that you are part of a couple. Just a simple hug, or a corny joke, or just a touch of your hand may be all she needs from you. I'm sure she wishes that she could take your pain away. And she cherishes you and the moments you do have together. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you are a good guy.

Sorry to say , and this is NOT a plea for sympathy, I've also got PTSD from the Vietnam era that makes me really not a nice person when it flares up. That is why I avoid other people when The PTSD triggers. Meds help but other than staying really busy ,and alone, I just deal. My wife does understand but it robs us of so much time together.

Oddly, when I'm in a structured environment , such as work, I'm able to zone out and suppress the PTSD and the other causes for discomfort to be somewhat normal.
Peg

Cranky ??

Post by Peg »

I have rheumatoid arthritis so bad it has my toes deformed. I work on my feet and most work days, I coud just cry when I get home. When I find myself feeling down or sorry for myself, I think of the man I know without legs and how he'd love to feel foot pain. I try to stay positive and focus on the good stuff rather than the bad. It's not easy to do, but I'm a lot happier than most people I know because of my positive attitude.

By the way, welcome to the garden. This place is a great distraction from the pain.

Return to “Physically Challenged”