The Holographic Universe

Tombstone

The Holographic Universe

Post by Tombstone »

The Holographic Universe

In addition to its phantom like nature, such a universe would possess other rather startling features. If the apparent separateness of subatomic particles is illusory, it means that at a deeper level of reality all things in the universe are infinitely interconnected. The electrons in a carbon atom in the human brain are connected to the subatomic particles that comprise every salmon that swims, every heart that beats, and every star that shimmers in the sky. Everything interpenetrates everything, and although human nature may seek to categorize and pigeonhole and subdivide, the various phenomena of the universe, all apportionments are of necessity artificial and all of nature is ultimately a seamless web.

In a holographic universe, even time and space could no longer be viewed as fundamentals. Because concepts such as location break down in a universe in which nothing is truly separate from anything else, time and three-dimensional space, like the images of the fish on the TV monitors, would also have to be viewed as projections of this deeper order. At its deeper level reality is a sort of super hologram in which the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously. This suggests that given the proper tools it might even be possible to someday reach into the super holographic level of reality and pluck out scenes from the long-forgotten past.

What else the super hologram contains is an open-ended question. Allowing, for the sake of argument, that the super hologram is the matrix that has given birth to everything in our universe, at the very least it contains every subatomic particle that has been or will be -- every configuration of matter and energy that is possible, from snowflakes to quasars, from blue whales to gamma rays. It must be seen as a sort of cosmic storehouse of "All That Is."

Although Bohm concedes that we have no way of knowing what else might lie hidden in the super hologram, he does venture to say that we have no reason to assume it does not contain more. Or as he puts it, perhaps the super holographic level of reality is a "mere stage" beyond which lies "an infinity of further development". Bohm is not the only researcher who has found evidence that the universe is a hologram. Working independently in the field of brain research, Standford neurophysiologist Karl Pribram has also become persuaded of the holographic nature of reality.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
chonsigirl

The Holographic Universe

Post by chonsigirl »

Like Plato's Theory of Forms.
ZAP

The Holographic Universe

Post by ZAP »

That is fascinating! I'm going to read more on Bohm. Which evidence are they referring to? I especially liked the part in the video that said we're living on different planes simultaneously. Kind of rings my bells.
recycle

The Holographic Universe

Post by recycle »

I like the quote: "There are no objects anymore -- there are only relationships"

A couple of problems with this video: Who are all these talking heads? I don't recognize any of them except the character from "The Matrix" movie. Not a good sign, that they don't identify themselves.

I also don't like the jump cuts, trying to make the viewer disoriented. There are conversations among people which have been truncated into sound bites. If you have only 10 minutes, find a good 10 minute conversation. Or create one. But jumping around to all these talking heads makes it really fairly meaningless.

Lastly, I don't like the piano tinkling monotonously in the background. If you have something to say, say it. Pianos don't make better science - they distract you from the fact that poor science is taking place.
recycle

The Holographic Universe

Post by recycle »

ZAP;1323623 wrote: That is fascinating! I'm going to read more on Bohm. Which evidence are they referring to? I especially liked the part in the video that said we're living on different planes simultaneously. Kind of rings my bells.

I love what David Bohm has done. I highly recommend his book "Wholeness and the implicate order"
recycle

The Holographic Universe

Post by recycle »

Tombstone;1323601 wrote: The Holographic Universe

In addition to its phantom like nature, such a universe would possess other rather startling features. If the apparent separateness of subatomic particles is illusory, it means that at a deeper level of reality all things in the universe are infinitely interconnected. ...Everything interpenetrates everything ... all apportionments are of necessity artificial and all of nature is ultimately a seamless web.

I am very interested in Bohm's "implicate order". Also, I recommend the book called "Holism and Evolution", by Jan Smuts, written in 1926. Smuts was, in addition to being a statesman and general, quite an original and penetrating thinker. He coined the term "holism", and ferreted out some of the implications of the new relativity and quantum theories. I find the book quite prescient.

I have reviewed it here: Books

Here is a quote from my review on Smuts:

"Smuts posited that "things" that we study in science are not as valuable as the "forces" that they are fronting. He therefore proposed a theory of "fields", or regions of force, interposing themselves upon each other, as the more constant mover in the universe. Physical things are not the movers, they are the moved."

I see Smuts' "interpenetrating fields" as a step into Bohm's "implicate order"...

I would love to hear from others who are interested in these kinds of ideas.

Peace.

Return to “Science”