A week in Malta

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Snowfire

A week in Malta

Post by Snowfire »

The thing about foreign holidays, is that invariably we find the odd gem when trying to find sanctuary from the blistering heat.

My trip to Malta turned up quite a few in the shape of churches and Cathedrals. Its not totally true that I venture inside just to sheild from the sun. I love them anyway.

I went to St John's Cathedral in Valletta. For over 200 years an ordinary church, transformed in the 17th century, through donations from the Knights of St john, to what is now a magnificent example of opulent High Baroque art.

However one feels about the morality of the church and its benefactors in the way they channelled such huge quantities of money to enrich a church, while all around had nothing, you cant be anything but stunned by such breathtaking beauty.

The inlaid marble floor is precious along with the lapus Lazuli high alter and painted barrel vault ceilings - oil paint direct onto the stone.

What struck me when studying the ceilings - which told in six "episodes" the story of St John the Baptist - was the two figures on each side, at the bottom of each ceiling panel. Each figure was given a three dimensional quality by painting a shadow that encroached on the gold leafed columns that seperated each painting. I imagine this trompe l'oeil paint effect is quite common but the effect was astoundingly real.

I'll try to post some photographs when I can
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
ZAP

A week in Malta

Post by ZAP »

Thanks for the information. I share your love of cathedrals and churches. The art and architecture is magnificent. La Pieta in Rome is one of the most beautiful, awesome and humbling pieces I've ever seen. I've been interested in Malta of late and I'd be very interested to see photos of things that you saw.
Betty Boop

A week in Malta

Post by Betty Boop »

I've been there, twice, breathtaking isn't it. Looking forward to seeing the photographs.
Snowfire

A week in Malta

Post by Snowfire »

As promised....Its not a wonderful photograph but I think you can see the trompe l'oeil effect on the top right hand side of the photo at the base of the ceiling panels. Thats the shadow effect painted to the side of the painted character

Attached files

Winston Churchill
CARLA

A week in Malta

Post by CARLA »

Breathe taking picture ..!!
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Snowfire

A week in Malta

Post by Snowfire »

I'm hoping to post some better quality photos. That one was taken with my very small video camera, as was this attached photo of a church just a few hundred yards away. Again, extreme opulence was the order of the day. The inlaid marble floor beneath the alter, which cant be seen in the photo, was beautiful

Attached files

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

A week in Malta

Post by Snowfire »

The church above consisted of one very large dome and one that could be seen above the rooftops for miles. The sort of structure normally reserved for the highest cathedrals

Winston Churchill
CARLA

A week in Malta

Post by CARLA »

Yet another breathe taking shot pretty good camera to me amazing details.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Snowfire

A week in Malta

Post by Snowfire »

This one is a village church in Gozo. It's huge. I bet my three companions 20 euros that they couldnt guess the age of the church within 50 years. They all figured the church was at least 400 years old. It was in fact started in 1951 and the dome was finished in 1971. Unfortunately it was closed so I cannot show the interior splendour

photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Attached files

Winston Churchill
ZAP

A week in Malta

Post by ZAP »

Absolutely gorgeous! If you click on the photo it enlarges and it took my breath away!
Snowfire

A week in Malta

Post by Snowfire »

I've just discovered the name of the church that is a few hundred yards away from St John's Cathedral. Its Sanctuary Basilica Our lady of Carmel.

This is looking up to the dome

Attached files

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

A week in Malta

Post by Snowfire »

Another one of the Basilica. Thats me straining my kneck to look up at the inside of the dome

Attached files

Winston Churchill
chonsigirl

A week in Malta

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, these are great photos, you must have enjoyed your time there very much.
ZAP

A week in Malta

Post by ZAP »

Snowfire;1322161 wrote: Another one of the Basilica. Thats me straining my kneck to look up at the inside of the dome

Just look at all the detailed carvings, the columns and the crystal chandeliers! Beautiful!!
Kathy Ellen

A week in Malta

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Sounds like a beautiful island Snowfire, with lots of treasures. Happy you had a great time.
along-for-the-ride

A week in Malta

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thanks for sharing your photos with us, Snowfire. The churches are beautiful. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “Travel Vacation”