Troubles in Belfast...

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
Kathy Ellen

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, this is so sad :-1

I hope Rosie is ok.....

The Associated Press: 82 police injured in Belfast's 2 nights of riots
flopstock

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by flopstock »

What is the purpose of the parades?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

mikeinie

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by mikeinie »

Ohhh the parades, that's not trouble, that's traddition...

Happens every year, don't worry about it
flopstock

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by flopstock »

mikeinie;1321813 wrote: Ohhh the parades, that's not trouble, that's traddition...

Happens every year, don't worry about it

Are you saying it's the annual 'vent your frustrations with the other side' day?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

mikeinie

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by mikeinie »

flopstock;1321809 wrote: What is the purpose of the parades?

OK, the best comparison for understanding purposes it this:

The US civil war: A very dark time in American history, the country torn apart, North against South.

Only when the civil war was over, it was the focus of the President to form a stronger united country and to heal wounds between the North and the South.

Now, (based in the internet information) Lee surrendered on April 9th 1868. And thus the South lost the war.

Now image, every year on April 9th, hundreds of people from the Northern States, dressed up in Yankee outfits, travel to Atlanta, and marched and paraded through Atlanta celebrating their defeat. Rubbing in their face, year after year for hundreds of years their loss of the civil war.

What do you think the reaction would be in the South?

For the Canadians here, can you image hundreds of English speaking Canadians were to gather and then march through the streets of Old Quebec dressed in red coats celebrating the victory of the Planes of Abraham?

How do you think the French Canadians would take to that?

That is the parade season in Northern Ireland, the ‘Orange men’ celebrate the war between the Protestant King William 111 of Orange and the Catholic King James for control of Ireland in the 1690s.

King William won, and every year the ‘Orangemen’ march through the Catholic areas of Belfast reminding them of it. It causes problems (as it would).
Kathy Ellen

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Good explanation Mike.
G#Gill

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you Mike, and quite frankly IMO, these marches and 'the marching season' should be kicked into touch. It is about time the 'orangemen' grew up! Sorry if that is non PC, but I would think that most peace-loving people would wish for the same. It's about time such things ceased - tradition???? Not in my book.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
YZGI

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by YZGI »

Why is it allowed?
Snowfire

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by Snowfire »

Mikeinie made a good analogy. The parades in themselves arent the problem as such. Its the deliberately provocative stance that the Orange order take in persisting with the marches through Nationalist areas. Sinn Fein have condemned the violence and have suggested that it is the widely outlawed Continuity IRA. It has very little following but sectarianism is a long way from disappearing from the Province
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
pinkchick

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by pinkchick »

The 12th of July parades are as Mike says ... tradition in this little country. Most people here (from both sides of the community) are happy to let the day pass peacefully. Having said that .... there are some who like to cause trouble.

Truthfully it sickens me!

PS ... Kathy I'm fine, thank you :-)
Very nearly perfect ... :D
flopstock

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by flopstock »

mikeinie;1321816 wrote: OK, the best comparison for understanding purposes it this:

The US civil war: A very dark time in American history, the country torn apart, North against South.

Only when the civil war was over, it was the focus of the President to form a stronger united country and to heal wounds between the North and the South.

Now, (based in the internet information) Lee surrendered on April 9th 1868. And thus the South lost the war.

Now image, every year on April 9th, hundreds of people from the Northern States, dressed up in Yankee outfits, travel to Atlanta, and marched and paraded through Atlanta celebrating their defeat. Rubbing in their face, year after year for hundreds of years their loss of the civil war.

What do you think the reaction would be in the South?

For the Canadians here, can you image hundreds of English speaking Canadians were to gather and then march through the streets of Old Quebec dressed in red coats celebrating the victory of the Planes of Abraham?

How do you think the French Canadians would take to that?

That is the parade season in Northern Ireland, the ‘Orange men’ celebrate the war between the Protestant King William 111 of Orange and the Catholic King James for control of Ireland in the 1690s.

King William won, and every year the ‘Orangemen’ march through the Catholic areas of Belfast reminding them of it. It causes problems (as it would).

I have to admit that when I read the article I was thinking pretty much what you wrote here... only I figured it to be like our KKK who insist on marching - but they're just a bunch of losers protected by the constitution.

mikeinie

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by mikeinie »

It would be nice though if they could find something in common that they could march together about and put an end to this immaturity on both sides. It is always so antagonistic and confrontational.
Clodhopper

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by Clodhopper »

Why is it allowed?

Because in the purely legal sense, all citizens have right of passage through all public spaces. They march through public spaces. That are lived in by Catholics. The police have a duty to allow them to exercise the rights of a citizen... It's a flashpoint waiting to happen. This one has clearly been used. In a weird way this is encouraging. It could have been worse. "Recreational rioting with a sinister edge..." were the words of the police chief. If this is the best the violent extremists can do there's hope. Lots of it.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by spot »

There's an element of our daddies carried their umbrellas through those parts, and their daddies before them back as far as we can remember (which probably involves Edward Carson), and we'll be damned before we dishonour their memories by suddenly turning reasonable over it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Glaswegian

Troubles in Belfast...

Post by Glaswegian »

Christian brethren celebrate their faith with gusto in Glasgow!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2EzG34ilo&feature=related

But Satan’s minions arrive to spoil the fun…

YouTube - Trouble at the Trongate/Gallowgate - Orange March Gone Wrong

Return to “Ireland”