Need Flower Help

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
Peg

Need Flower Help

Post by Peg »

I planted zinnias and marigolds from seeds. They are getting very tall. The problem is, I don't have a bud on one single plant. Any clues why?
Odie

Need Flower Help

Post by Odie »

Peg;1321485 wrote: I planted zinnias and marigolds from seeds. They are getting very tall. The problem is, I don't have a bud on one single plant. Any clues why?

are they in full sun Peg?

- are you watering them everyday?

some seeds sit in stores for years and just no longer produce.

I planted wild flower seeds 3 months ago, they never grew.:mad:
Life is just to short for drama.
chonsigirl

Need Flower Help

Post by chonsigirl »

Zinnias can get pretty tall.

Zinnia - LoveToKnow Garden
Mustang

Need Flower Help

Post by Mustang »

Peg;1321485 wrote: I planted zinnias and marigolds from seeds. They are getting very tall. The problem is, I don't have a bud on one single plant. Any clues why?

Too much water. Too much fertilizer. If the soil has too much nitrogen, you will see more foliage and no bloom.
Patsy Warnick

Need Flower Help

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Marigolds are pretty hardy & reproduce quickly.

My Marigolds get tall ? So I thought my seeds were not deep enough.? They bloom, but I've never had them get tall & viney before. Weird - usually Marigolds don't do this.???

They'll bloom eventually - may be We got the same seed group... mine are tall/viney, now dried up 114 degrees today.

You need Bees

Patsy
Accountable

Need Flower Help

Post by Accountable »

I once planted a flower, don't ask me what kind, that grew up about 4 1/2 feet tall with no flower. I clipped the top off and it started putting out flower buds within a few days. It was like it was confused about where to send its energy.
valerie

Need Flower Help

Post by valerie »

How long ago did you plant? I've never had any problems

with mine. I plant a lot of the taller ones though.

This pic has been on here before (I think) but here are

some of mine from a few years back:

DSCF2337.JPG

I planted these again this year, late though because of our wet spring,

everything is up and green but no buds for me, either. When I

plant I supplement with lots of steer manure, and then later on

give them once a month fish emulsion. Don't know about the too

much nitrogen factor.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Peg

Need Flower Help

Post by Peg »

I think it was May when I planted. My nasturiums have flowers, my zinnas finally are getting buds on them, but nothing on the marigolds yet. They are 2 feet high.
Peg

Need Flower Help

Post by Peg »

Finally I am getting flowers. I may have to stake them! LOL I think I'll have someone take a pic tomorrow and post it here. Normal size flowers on unusually tall plants.
Odie

Need Flower Help

Post by Odie »

Peg;1325387 wrote: Finally I am getting flowers. I may have to stake them! LOL I think I'll have someone take a pic tomorrow and post it here. Normal size flowers on unusually tall plants.

Oh that's great Peg, kind of late for annuals to start blooming, but better late than never.:guitarist

They may very well need to be staked once they all bloom, they'll be to heavy and fall over!

some do grow taller than others, but I've never seen those two grow so tall, you must have put something special on them.:sneaky:

can't wait to see your pics!:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
mrsK

Need Flower Help

Post by mrsK »

Peg;1321798 wrote: I think it was May when I planted. My nasturiums have flowers, my zinnas finally are getting buds on them, but nothing on the marigolds yet. They are 2 feet high.

Pleased you have flowers at last.

I have never seen marigolds that high,I would like to get some though.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
gracelyn

Need Flower Help

Post by gracelyn »

1.Buy healthy, green plants with no signs of wilting or disease. Plants should be stocky, with plenty of leaves. It's actually a plus if they don't have any flowers on them - they'll divert their early energy into root development rather than flowering.

2.Choose a site in full sun, although zinnias usually appreciate a little afternoon shade in especially hot regions. Zinnias like rich, well-drained soil.

3.Plant seedlings or seeds in spring, after all danger of frost has passed. Seeds can be sown directly in the soil, 1/4 inch deep and a few inches apart. Thin to 6 to 12 inches, depending on the variety's mature height. Seedlings, which will produce earlier blooms, should also be spaced 6 to 12 inches apart, again depending on their mature height.

4.Keep soil somewhat moist. Mulching is a good idea. Zinnias can survive in soil that's on the dry side but will wilt in very dry conditions.

5.Trim faded flowers, or cut flowers often for bouquets, to promote more and longer blooming.

6.Fertilize every four to six weeks, or work in a slow-release fertilizer (or plenty of compost) at planting time.

7.Tear out and discard plants in fall, after frost fells them.

[link removed]

Return to “Gardening Forum”