What did you learn today?

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
Odie

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1319359 wrote: I learned don't give your phone # to old people in a nursing home. Years ago I worked with a older guy on a job. We worked together for 10 years. He considers me his best friend. That tells you how lonely he must be. :wah: Anyway, he went to a nursing home a few weeks ago. He has his own phone there. Now he calls me at all times of the day or night to chat. He forgets that he called me just a few hours ago, and calls again. And again. I don't have the heart to tell him to stop calling so much.

They are very lonely in nursing homes, its just not home.

It sounds like he has Alzheimer's, my mom went into a nursing home 5 years ago and doesn't remember anything anymore, not even who I am.
Life is just to short for drama.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1319391 wrote: They are very lonely in nursing homes, its just not home.

It sounds like he has Alzheimer's, my mom went into a nursing home 5 years ago and doesn't remember anything anymore, not even who I am.

That's sad when your parents no longer know you. My dad was pretty sharp to the end but my mom forgot me too. She would confuse me with my dad and talk about me. Stuff like "look what that hoppy did to me. Stuck me in here so he could marry some woman". I did no such thing. Her doc put her there.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

hoppy;1319396 wrote: That's sad when your parents no longer know you. My dad was pretty sharp to the end but my mom forgot me too. She would confuse me with my dad and talk about me. Stuff like "look what that hoppy did to me. Stuck me in here so he could marry some woman". I did no such thing. Her doc put her there.

That is so sad. I watched a segment on Sunday Morning last week about a woman with Alzeimer's, as told by her husband, Barry Peterson. It was heartbreaking.
Odie

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1319396 wrote: That's sad when your parents no longer know you. My dad was pretty sharp to the end but my mom forgot me too. She would confuse me with my dad and talk about me. Stuff like "look what that hoppy did to me. Stuck me in here so he could marry some woman". I did no such thing. Her doc put her there.

It devastated me the first time I realized mom no longer knew who I was.

Sometimes if I ask her to many questions, she brings out her arms and tightens her fists and screams at me. Aggression is also a stage of Alzheimer's.

Many elderly do forget, just like your mom did.

She at that time did not know what she was talking about.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1319406 wrote: That is so sad. I watched a segment on Sunday Morning last week about a woman with Alzeimer's, as told by her husband, Barry Peterson. It was heartbreaking.

It's heartbreaking to watch mom go through so many stages and there is nothing I can do to help her. She lives in a land of nowhere.

She only nods now here and there, she cannot bring up or comprehend any conversation, so we have to limit it to 3 or 4 words.

She now sleeps 85% of the time.

Our family wishes we could put an end to her suffering.
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

I learned that the voice actor characters of some of the cartoons, movies, animated shows ect I have been interested in for the last 10 years are the same for many shows.

Example: the voice actor for Appa and Momo in the animated series AVATAR:the last air bender which is going to be a movie next weekend, was also the voice of the statue in the nickelodeon game show Legends of the hidden temple and the voice of the toco bell dog
Peg

Post by Peg »

I learned that temporary tattoos will work on casts.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Peg;1323369 wrote: I learned that temporary tattoos will work on casts.

cool! can we see a pic?
Peg

Post by Peg »

Odie;1323372 wrote: cool! can we see a pic?
I keep trying Odie, but for some reason it's not uploading for me today. I'll try again later.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Two of the kids I had last year-and told them if they didn't behave they would have me in 7th grade-I do. Ha! The bet with the band teacher-he would learn the flute and me the clarinet, he didn't. But I forgive him, he is a newlywed and I'm happy for him. Loads of school gossip.
Peg

Post by Peg »

LOL@having those kids.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

I learned I'm being punished for some infraction. It seems I am unable to post new threads. Just like when I was school boy caught throwing spitballs. "Go stand in the corner Hoppy". See y'all later.:yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Hmm, sounds like that incoming 6th grader I saw today-have to check my class lists again tomorrow!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Peg;1323376 wrote: I keep trying Odie, but for some reason it's not uploading for me today. I'll try again later.

looking forward to it.

do you have a lot of signatures?
Amity

Post by Amity »

I have learned that not everyone is who they say they are...and words can hurt more than i realised.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Amity;1325722 wrote: I have learned that not everyone is who they say they are...and words can hurt more than i realised.

very true my freind..very true.:-5
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

About Global Delay Disorder in children:(
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I've been looking in the wrong boxes for two trips to the Archives, my prof' sent me the specific info yesterday! I only get so many trips down there, we shall see tomorrow.
M.A.S

Post by M.A.S »

today's lesson: i should have never eaten more than i need, i feel like my stomach is very full
I miss you Odie
Odie

Post by Odie »

spending time away feels so good.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I learned today that Premarin is actually horse pi**!

No I mean it is! Horse pi**!
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1327154 wrote: I learned today that Premarin is actually horse pi**!

No I mean it is! Horse pi**!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhnoooooooooooo, I hope my doctor never prescribes that!:yh_rotfl
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Odie;1327157 wrote: ohhhhhhhhhhhhhnoooooooooooo, I hope my doctor never prescribes that!:yh_rotflWell, you can choose either Horse pi** or you can walk around wanting to choke people to death with moderate to severe symptoms of hot flash, irritability, mood swings, with thoughts of murder and torturing your boyfriend on a regular basis...

I'd suggest take the Premarin but then again I haven't met your boyfriend :yh_wink :yh_wink
Odie

Post by Odie »

K.Snyder;1327159 wrote: Well, you can choose either Horse pi** or you can walk around wanting to choke people to death with moderate to severe symptoms of hot flash, irritability, mood swings, with thoughts of murder and torturing your boyfriend on a regular basis...

I'd suggest take the Premarin but then again I haven't met your boyfriend :yh_wink :yh_wink

:yh_rotfl

perhaps I should chose the horse pi**!:wah:
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

K.Snyder;1327159 wrote: Well, you can choose either Horse pi** or you can walk around wanting to choke people to death with moderate to severe symptoms of hot flash, irritability, mood swings, with thoughts of murder and torturing your boyfriend on a regular basis...

Awww...that's just PMS. Women get it every month and are used to those feelings. :wah:

Keep the horse p*** for the men who can't cope! God knows what they'd do if they ever had to have a baby! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

mrsK;1326035 wrote: About Global Delay Disorder in children:(

I have a couple of kids with global delay in my class. What did you learn about those children? Or did you mean that it's the first time you've come across this disorder?
Odie

Post by Odie »

Watch out for your enemies.

-my gas powered chain-saw sure would do the trick!:wah:

Freddy's back.................:lips::yh_rotfl
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I learned a few things about getting around on the Beijing subway.

the fare is cheap. about $.30 US each way.

When you buy a pass, you get a little plastic card with a RFID chip. You scan the card at the turnstile, and enter the system. When you leave, you give the card to a slot in the turnstile and it lets you leave.

some things to remember.

1. you have to use the card at the station where you buy it, so don't buy a bunch of them at once, thinking you can wander about the city and use them.

2. you cannot use the card to exit the same station you bought the ticket at. it won't let you out.

3. You can buy a pass card which can be recharged at the kiosks, but if you don't speak Chinese, you have to have someone help you buy it, because I have yet to find a ticket-taker that speaks English.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Odie

Post by Odie »

must be up by 7 am to cut the grass before it gets to hot out.:rolleyes:
binbag

Post by binbag »

I learned today never to forget the experience of how pleasant and relaxing it is to go for a drive with my wife on quiet, empty and safe country roads at a speed of no more than 30 mph.

Speed can be exhilarating, but the slow drive, Aaah yes, the sloooow drive is, I find, an incomparable driving experience. :)
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
Odie

Post by Odie »

binbag;1328881 wrote: I learned today never to forget the experience of how pleasant and relaxing it is to go for a drive with my wife on quiet, empty and safe country roads at a speed of no more than 30 mph.

Speed can be exhilarating, but the slow drive, Aaah yes, the sloooow drive is, I find, an incomparable driving experience. :)

A nice peaceful drive is the best, glad you had such a good day!
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

binbag;1328881 wrote: I learned today never to forget the experience of how pleasant and relaxing it is to go for a drive with my wife on quiet, empty and safe country roads at a speed of no more than 30 mph.

We do this. If we go anywhere we always take the scenic route, we drive through the forest or through little villages, we take our time and enjoy the scenery.

But no matter where you go or when, there is ALWAYS someone driving at 70 0r 80 miles behind you! They drive as close to your rear as they can possibly get and keep edging out in their desperation to overtake and roar off into the distance!

The other day we were driving out to Beaulieu with Granny, Grandad and young nephew in the car. They all live in grey and dirty olde London, so we were pointing out the new forest ponies with their young foals as we drove along the very narrow and windy forest roads. Some idiot in his flash car zoomed up behind us and overtook just as we were approaching a very sharp bend. At that moment there were several ponies and foals on the opposite side of the road from us, walking along the verge and partly in the road. This total idiot just literally pulled out and zoomed between us and the ponies, then pulled in sharply in front of us us as other road traffic came around the bend. He had no thought for the safety of our car or the ponies, he was so anxious to speed on. What a jerk!

No wonder so many new forest horses and ponies are killed each year when you get a***oles like this on the road! :-5:-5:-5
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I learnt today that my husband has very little time left.

He has been at the hospital all day. I was upset as I was not up to going with him after my op.

The scans show the fibrous mass In each lung has grown and there Is nothing they can do. No-one has ever survived his particular condition.

However, they are continuing to treat him but they have warned us that he may go down-hill very rapidly or It may be a little more drawn out.

We always try to find humour some-where... It Is what keeps us going and tonight he said he wanted a card-board coffin. I said It would probably rain hard that day and It would disintegrate.

His next appointment Is with a Professor only Lord knows what she can do.

We have decided tonight that we are going to spend our days out sight-seeing and doing all the things he wants to do.

I do not know what else to say other than life Is quite shyte at times.

My gorgeous husband and his baby...

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1328994 wrote: I learnt today that my husband has very little time left.

He has been at the hospital all day. I was upset as I was not up to going with him after my op.

The scans show the fibrous mass In each lung has grown and there Is nothing they can do. No-one has ever survived his particular condition.

However, they are continuing to treat him but they have warned us that he may go down-hill very rapidly or It may be a little more drawn out.

We always try to find humour some-where... It Is what keeps us going and tonight he said he wanted a card-board coffin. I said It would probably rain hard that day and It would disintegrate.

We have decided tonight that we are going to spend our days out sight-seeing and doing all the things he wants to do.

isnt it:-5 Im so sorry for what you are both going through right now:(

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1328997 wrote: isnt it:-5 Im so sorry for what you are both going through right now:(
Thank You Kaz :-4

Well, we have known for some time that he could not be treated but It always feel harder each time he has his scans and they tell us again what we already knew.

I suppose the last few years have been a bonus as he was given 9 months 4 years ago.... we have had an extra 3 years.

He wants me to re-marry.... who the hell would have me? :wah:

But... typical of Peter he Is encouraging me to get Involved more with my projects so I have a life after him but I have decided today that I will move house as I want to be nearer to my bro In Sussex.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1329000 wrote: Thank You Kaz :-4

Well, we have known for some time that he could not be treated but It always feel harder each time he has his scans and they tell us again what we already knew.

I suppose the last few years have been a bonus as he was given 9 months 4 years ago.... we have had an extra 3 years.

He wants me to re-marry.... who the hell would have me? :wah:

But... typical of Peter he Is encouraging me to get Involved more with my projects so I have a life after him but I have decided today that I will move house as I want to be nearer to my bro In Sussex.
that is something good to focus on, but i know it wont make it any easier, and i know it wont feel real still somehow,, not really real. Thats a good decision to move closer to family:)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
binbag

Post by binbag »

[/FONT]
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Oscar and Peter (((((((hugs))))))) to you both. You're in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you get a lot more precious time together. :-4:-4:yh_hugs:yh_hugs
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Julie,

I am so devistate to hear this sad news. I was hoping to visit you and Pete and catch a barbel:-6

The world will be a sadder place without your wonderful husband. Pete is such a lovely, kind man.

Sending you and Pete all of my love and best wishes:-4

Tis a very sad night indeed. I'm full of tears right now.
Oscar Namechange

Thank You Binbag, Rap and Kathy. :-4

I came very close to starting a new thread tonight In the bereavement section asking others how on earth they got through It. I changed my mind twice because I did not want any-one thinking I was looking for a sympathy vote.

I suppose different folks cope different ways and at the moment I think I am In complete denial. I just can not Imagine the day when he Is not here. I also think the fact that he survived the cancer last time when he was given 9 months, I am expecting the same here but this Is a different kind of cancer.

Tonight we were talking about what to do with his ashes and who to ask to the funeral... all very surreal topics of conversation when the person Is still alive.

When my Father found out he was dying, he closed up and we could not get through to him until the last few weeks when he started to talk of his wishes. I think the fact that Peter and I are so comfortable talking about It and even joking, we still do not believe we will ever be parted.

Tonight for the first time In my life, I considered suicide when he went but It was a very fleeting thought because I know he would be sooooooo angry If I did that :wah:

Oh well Folks... Life goes on and there are far worse off folks than our-selves....

I know I have a solid family and such good friends who will be there as they have always been there.

That Is It folks.... weepy moment over..... Right, who can I annoy now? :wah:
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

why not start a journal Oscar. Wether on here or just your own private one. It sometimes helps to talk about, whats going on, how you feeling etc.. especially if you find it hard to talk to people in person.:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

Post by Odie »

my neighour takes his dog out only at night.....to pee.:-5

and he's home all day on vacation.:rolleyes:

poor dog, he needs to pee more than that!:-5
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1329110 wrote: why not start a journal Oscar. Wether on here or just your own private one. It sometimes helps to talk about, whats going on, how you feeling etc.. especially if you find it hard to talk to people in person.:-4
That Is a very good Idea Kaz. I may just do that.

I do not have a problem talking about It to close friends and family. Recently a woman who works In our supermarket found out and she asked me how the heck I deal with that and I just said that you have to get on with It. I am very matter of fact In many ways except for the odd weepy moment but that Is just me and Peter is very much the same minded.

It Is like the other night... There are some Staffi Pups going begging In the next road and we ummmed and arrred but then Peter said he did not think I could cope with 4 dogs after him and then I agreed. Things like that make you have to think of It regually but again In a surreal way. In a ' It Is not happening to me type way'.

Oh well.... I may do that Journal.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1329168 wrote: That Is a very good Idea Kaz. I may just do that.

I do not have a problem talking about It to close friends and family. Recently a woman who works In our supermarket found out and she asked me how the heck I deal with that and I just said that you have to get on with It. I am very matter of fact In many ways except for the odd weepy moment but that Is just me and Peter is very much the same minded.

It Is like the other night... There are some Staffi Pups going begging In the next road and we ummmed and arrred but then Peter said he did not think I could cope with 4 dogs after him and then I agreed. Things like that make you have to think of It regually but again In a surreal way. In a ' It Is not happening to me type way'.

Oh well.... I may do that Journal.
yea i can be quite matter of fact,, or even cold sounding at times,, but it dont mean we are:lips:

good choice on the Staffy as they are quite enough to take on wihtout any other dogs to deal with:wah: Mind not so much if you get them from pups and know how they need to be kept on top of:thinking:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
binbag

Post by binbag »

kazalala;1329110 wrote: why not start a journal Oscar. Wether on here or just your own private one. It sometimes helps to talk about, whats going on, how you feeling etc.. especially if you find it hard to talk to people in person.:-4 I would 100% second that oscar.

Not only is a Personal Journal advantage and therapeutic, for, as time goes by, you will find yourself re-reading those thoughts. It is then, you realize how far along the positive path your thought's have travelled since you first started.

It is extremely beneficial and helpful in the weeks, months and years along the road of a new chapter in your life.

If I may, I would like to join the good members of the Garden in saying that you and Peter are in my thoughts and prayers.

binbag.

[/FONT]
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1328994 wrote: I learnt today that my husband has very little time left.

Sad news indeed, keep on fighting to the end and believing that they're the biggest pessimists out.

Stay strong, for both your sakes.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I am sorry to hear about Mr. O. You never know oscar, see what the prof' has to say. My husband is almost 2 years past the time they gave him-and he hasn't done too bad lately. I will pray for Mr. O tonight.:-4
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1329194 wrote: Sad news indeed, keep on fighting to the end and believing that they're the biggest pessimists out.

Stay strong, for both your sakes. Thank You Bryn.... I know we have clashed on views here many times but I do know you are a caring soul.

Thank You also Binbag, Chons, Kathy and Kaz.

Some-thing I have found odd today.... On hearing the news, close family and friends have hugged me and not Peter but then they say It is the one's we leave behind.

What gets me Is that It always the good guys. It seems to never be the wife-beating, career criminals but the decent, kind guys.

Husbands like Peter come along once In a blue moon and I suppose I must be grateful for what I have had and not so much what I will lose.

Thank You again every one.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1329169 wrote: yea i can be quite matter of fact,, or even cold sounding at times,, but it dont mean we are:lips:

good choice on the Staffy as they are quite enough to take on wihtout any other dogs to deal with:wah: Mind not so much if you get them from pups and know how they need to be kept on top of:thinking:
Last night I was offered a Staffi Pup and tonight we were asked to take a pure white Alsation pup who Is currently destroying his owners house and they can not cope. I am more likely to take this one for he will end up In the dog pound If I don't.

Funny enough last night while discussing having the Staffi pup, Peter did say he would feel happier knowing I had a larger dog to protect me when he Is gone.
binbag

Post by binbag »

oscar;1329220 wrote: Last night I was offered a Staffi Pup and tonight we were asked to take a pure white Alsation pup who Is currently destroying his owners house and they can not cope. I am more likely to take this one for he will end up In the dog pound If I don't.

Funny enough last night while discussing having the Staffi pup, Peter did say he would feel happier knowing I had a larger dog to protect me when he Is gone.Peter's advice is sound oscar but, forgive me, will you be able or be in a position to care for, and teach, a dog who likes to destroy, at this particular point in your life. (hugzzz)

[/FONT]

Return to “The Coffee Shop”