Doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I see you Odie. :-6
Peg

Post by Peg »

Anyone see Odie? :sneaky: :yh_rotfl
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1318528 wrote: I see you Odie. :-6

I found you Chonsi!:wah:

to upload a pic, I know to click on add files and browse and upload, but what's next?

oops, I did it, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

flopstock;1318481 wrote: And what about those banned for repeated and knowing copy right infringement and plagerism KE? Eh?

What about folks who repeatedly infringe on the work of others? Those folks that were given more then 1 polite 0 point warning about intellectual theft and instructed on the legal way to post a reference to a story on the site and yet ignored the repeated informational warnings and continued to post copy righted material? What about those folks that continually take other peoples work and post it as their own, despite being warned it wasn't allowed and that if they refused to stop we would be forced to act?

Most everyone on this site has been able to understand that it is illegal to post an entire article or story that is the property of someone else. That 'fair use' requires a brief and link only. What about those folks that don't mind putting the site at risk of litigation, eh?

It sure does sound a lot cooler that you were being silenced by the 'mods' then that you had total disregard for this site, doesn't it? Really rallies the troops to your side if you aren't worried about accuracy or fairness.

But why would you worry about accuracy if you aren't worried about stealing someone elses work? Let's see if 'cats in hats' and 'fox supporters' are willing to man up and admit the real reason they were finally shown the door.:rolleyes:

Because there are exmembers out there I'd love to see return. They just flamed out. I'd love to give them another go. They could be funny and witty and a joy to have amongst us. Like I've said before, they were simply caught up in the more strident rules brought on by the behavior of a few jackasses who moved in.

I'll reserve my wishes for princesses in towers thanks.
Good heavens above, what an outpouring of built up resentment being displayed here?

As there was only one fox supporter on this forum, it's rather clear who you are directing your post at and i say the same to you as anyone else, if you have a problem then pop over to 24forum and say it direct.

As for your babbled rant on the issues concerning copyright, at least state the facts here and not just your opinion as opinions such as this help very little and merely show your agenda.

Oscar did post a thread where she forgot to add a link over a year prior to her ban and she recieved a warning of which she adhered to. Then over a year later, she posted an article from the Daily Mail as she's done many times but because Kathy Ellen once had problems loading an article she'd posted, Oscar copied the entire article, yet, that article carried a link at the bottom to the Daily Mail where all could see the author of the post.

As far as i'm aware there has been no official post by the site owner stating that the article could not be posted in full with a link to the author but i'm willing to accept there may have been one and i've missed it. The fact that Oscar did take the trouble to make sure there was a link at the bottom of her article does not and did not put her in breach of copyright laws should you bother to actually investigate them. If you want to actually go down the route of copyright then maybe you should look to the member who repeatedly copies and pastes jokes and word games from other forums onto here with no reference as to where they came from.

Your post is trying to indicate that Oscar was a habitual offender of trying to steal the words of another yet she forgot once, got a warning and the next so called offence was just over a year later with an added link to the Daily Mail.

Maybe you should pop over to 24forum from time to time and observe how a dedicated moderator works as Lady Cop does. In times when a forum is lacking in sparkle a good moderator will post regually to chivvy the forum along and i've never seen that from you. You also admit that you go elsewhere these days which begs the question as to why you hang on here when you have little input except to post backhanded insults to members who can't reply to you but then i've a suspicion that's why you do it.

It's posts such as yours that are inaccurate that have led to the demise of this forum and not some of the wonderful people here. Even as a moderator you seem to be unaware of how forums work and that people from all walks of life will post regardless if you like them or not. Your opinion of a member should never interfere with the smooth running of a forum as we all have to work with people we don't like and it's not up to you to decide although you seem to be of that opinion that the forums lifeblood is the moderators and not the members.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Pete, shut up.

In other news, looks like Babygirl is back. Calls herself Jule now. If I'm right, welcome back BG. :-6
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Accountable;1318578 wrote: Pete, shut up.

In other news, looks like Babygirl is back. Calls herself Jule now. If I'm right, welcome back BG. :-6
I'll remember that the next time you whine about anti Americanism here. ;)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Originally Posted by flopstock

And what about those banned for repeated and knowing copy right infringement and plagerism KE? Eh?

What about folks who repeatedly infringe on the work of others? Those folks that were given more then 1 polite 0 point warning about intellectual theft and instructed on the legal way to post a reference to a story on the site and yet ignored the repeated informational warnings and continued to post copy righted material? What about those folks that continually take other peoples work and post it as their own, despite being warned it wasn't allowed and that if they refused to stop we would be forced to act?

Sorry Floppy....I'm all for forgiveness and giving people extra chances to follow rules. I think that everyone should be given a 2nd chance to return to FG. Ban them then if they continue to ignore copyright rules....

It took me awhile to figure out how to determine whether a picture was copyrighted. I was posting pictures that were copyrighted but honestly didn't realize it. Now I do.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Kathy Ellen;1318595 wrote: Originally Posted by flopstock

And what about those banned for repeated and knowing copy right infringement and plagerism KE? Eh?

Sorry Floppy....I'm all for forgiveness and giving people extra chances to follow rules. I think that everyone should be given a 2nd chance to return to FG. Ban them then if they continue to ignore copyright rules....

It took me awhile to figure out how to determine whether a picture was copyrighted. I was posting pictures that were copyrighted but honestly didn't realize it. Now I do.
This makes me wonder if I have ever done this. :-3
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Kathy, I have been caught out by the tiny that is almost hidden in a corner of the pic, or the cartoon. So I'm just very careful to thoroughly check before I C & P it. :-6
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
abbey

Post by abbey »

Peter Lake;1318564 wrote: Good heavens above, what an outpouring of built up resentment being displayed here?

As there was only one fox supporter on this forum, it's rather clear who you are directing your post at and i say the same to you as anyone else, if you have a problem then pop over to 24forum and say it direct.

As for your babbled rant on the issues concerning copyright, at least state the facts here and not just your opinion as opinions such as this help very little and merely show your agenda.

Oscar did post a thread where she forgot to add a link over a year prior to her ban and she recieved a warning of which she adhered to. Then over a year later, she posted an article from the Daily Mail as she's done many times but because Kathy Ellen once had problems loading an article she'd posted, Oscar copied the entire article, yet, that article carried a link at the bottom to the Daily Mail where all could see the author of the post.

As far as i'm aware there has been no official post by the site owner stating that the article could not be posted in full with a link to the author but i'm willing to accept there may have been one and i've missed it. The fact that Oscar did take the trouble to make sure there was a link at the bottom of her article does not and did not put her in breach of copyright laws should you bother to actually investigate them. If you want to actually go down the route of copyright then maybe you should look to the member who repeatedly copies and pastes jokes and word games from other forums onto here with no reference as to where they came from.

Your post is trying to indicate that Oscar was a habitual offender of trying to steal the words of another yet she forgot once, got a warning and the next so called offence was just over a year later with an added link to the Daily Mail.

Maybe you should pop over to 24forum from time to time and observe how a dedicated moderator works as Lady Cop does. In times when a forum is lacking in sparkle a good moderator will post regually to chivvy the forum along and i've never seen that from you. You also admit that you go elsewhere these days which begs the question as to why you hang on here when you have little input except to post backhanded insults to members who can't reply to you but then i've a suspicion that's why you do it.

It's posts such as yours that are inaccurate that have led to the demise of this forum and not some of the wonderful people here. Even as a moderator you seem to be unaware of how forums work and that people from all walks of life will post regardless if you like them or not. Your opinion of a member should never interfere with the smooth running of a forum as we all have to work with people we don't like and it's not up to you to decide although you seem to be of that opinion that the forums lifeblood is the moderators and not the members.
Where did that come from?

Nowhere on flopstocks post did I see oscar mentioned, believe me, oscar was not the only member warned and then receive a ban for posting articles.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

abbey;1318614 wrote: Where did that come from?

Nowhere on flopstocks post did I see oscar mentioned, believe me, oscar was not the only member warned and then receive a ban for posting articles.

To be honest, "fox supporter" is a sort of clue you get with the Sun crossword. It wasnt hard to figure out
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

abbey;1318614 wrote: Where did that come from?

Do you know of any other fox supporters?
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

Snowfire;1318619 wrote: To be honest, "fox supporter" is a sort of clue you get with the Sun crossword. It wasnt hard to figure out
:wah:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Actually, I agree with you KE. What I don't agree with are the fallen on the sword personas that some of these xmembers choose to portray. There are actually some banned members who were banned because they flamed speaking what they believe, or standing for friends. I can appreciate it and them, even if at the time we had no choice.

But to help you to understand why someone like the hatter shows up and gets shown the door for apparently minor stuff... perhaps they'd care to share how many different members they've been here in the last year or so?:-6 This is the first I've seen them state that they intend to follow the rules this time- one can only hope, eh?

So, yeah - it would be great to get some folks back in here that I like and miss, too.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Snowfire;1318619 wrote: To be honest, "fox supporter" is a sort of clue you get with the Sun crossword. It wasnt hard to figure out
I like Foxes::sneaky:

I hope this isnt copyrighted.:-3
abbey

Post by abbey »

:yh_doh

Sarky git!

Missed that, sorry peter.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

YZGI;1318635 wrote:

I hope this isnt copyrighted.:-3

Too late now, YZGI!:wah:

You must have enjoyed punching that in the search engine..............
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

chonsigirl;1318637 wrote: Too late now, YZGI!:wah:

You must have enjoyed punching that in the search engine..............
It wasn't the worst thing I've had to look up on the internet today.
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

abbey;1318636 wrote: :yh_doh

Sarky git!

Missed that, sorry peter.
No problem Abbey :)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Woke up dis mornin

And da blues had all flown

I done woke up dis mornin

And da blues had all flown

The school-uniform green

Might look good on iPhone

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

So, forgive me for being stupid, but how do we know if something is copyrighted?
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Zapata;1318647 wrote: So, forgive me for being stupid, but how do we know if something is copyrighted?
You get banned for posting it. :yh_rotfl
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Zapata;1318647 wrote: So, forgive me for being stupid, but how do we know if something is copyrighted?

Best to assume everything is. Links and quotes to everything posted from the outside world basically.

Winston Churchill
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here ya go Zap...You can copy/paste in this site to see if pictures are copyrighted....

Many pictures say that this may be copyrighted...check here...

http://www.free-webhosts.com/hotlinking-checker.php
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Accountable;1318649 wrote: You get banned for posting it. :yh_rotfl
:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Beat me to it.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

YZGI;1318656 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Beat me to it.
Great minds, and all that. :D
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Thanks a lot, Ack & Izzy! :yh_rotfl You'd make a good team. If you decide to be a dance duo, may I accompany you on the vulu?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

:thinking:

Why do I just have a great feeling of cynical deja vu this morning? It's only just dawn here on a Sydney Friday and I might skid onto the thin ice of this new day (greenish ice) in search of coffee ...

.. but first ...

A professor of language was waffling on about the use of double negatives. In English, he said, two negatives make a positive. "He didn't do nothing". There are other languages where two negatives still give just a negative, he added. But, he continued, there is no language where two positives make a negative.

From the back of the room came a snarky voice: "Yeah right!"

theia

Post by theia »

AussiePam;1318689 wrote: :thinking:

Why do I just have a great feeling of cynical deja vu this morning? It's only just dawn here on a Sydney Friday and I might skid onto the thin ice of this new day (greenish ice) in search of coffee ...

.. but first ...

A professor of language was waffling on about the use of double negatives. In English, he said, two negatives make a positive. "He didn't do nothing". There are other languages where two negatives still give just a negative, he added. But, he continued, there is no language where two positives make a negative.

From the back of the room came a snarky voice: "Yeah right!"

Stop confusing me, Pammie, or I'll start a tea thread
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

theia;1318690 wrote: Stop confusing me, Pammie, or I'll start a tea thread
All threads start with T. :yh_glasse
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Accountable;1318691 wrote: All threads start with T. :yh_glasse
:wah: ding ding **
theia

Post by theia »

Accountable;1318691 wrote: All threads start with T. :yh_glasse

*theia sniggers sneakily*
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Tombstone actually spoke to me - it was a bit of a Burning Bush experience, and my cheeks are still afire. But I got a kicking too, so maybe that's why I'm flamin in need of a good cup of tea, er coffee.

For those of you who've been trying desperately to find your way in this new Promised Land, thou shalt spend a bit more time reading the scriptures as listed in Announcements. Here thou shalt find that there is now a My Tools thingie on the menu bar and in that thou canst now indeed find stuff thou wantest to find - like frinstance this thread - without using the advanced search button. Phew!

:D

Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1318735 wrote: Tombstone actually spoke to me - it was a bit of a Burning Bush experience, and my cheeks are still afire. But I got a kicking too, so maybe that's why I'm flamin in need of a good cup of tea, er coffee.

For those of you who've been trying desperately to find your way in this new Promised Land, thou shalt spend a bit more time reading the scriptures as listed in Announcements. Here thou shalt find that there is now a My Tools thingie on the menu bar and in that thou canst now indeed find stuff thou wantest to find - like frinstance this thread - without using the advanced search button. Phew!

:D

tools and 'today's posts' are are a good thing.....whew!:yh_rotfl

its uploading pics that are driving me in sane!:-5

I made you some coffee Pam, but you'll have to click on it.:-5

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

TGIF. I think this week has gone far enough. Tomorrow maybe something shall sparkle, maybe not. At least one can go to the beach.

spot

Post by spot »

AussiePam;1318735 wrote: Tombstone actually spoke to me - it was a bit of a Burning Bush experience, and my cheeks are still afire.

Tombstone was not of mortal flesh, and though he was robbed now of that Version 3 Release in which he had wrought so great an evil, so that the site could never again appear fair to the eyes of the members, yet his spirit arose out of the deep and passed as a shadow and a black wind over the modem and came back to the Internet and to ForumGarden that was his home. There he took up again his Administrator account and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new Theme, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Tombstone the Terrible few could endure.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1318811 wrote: TGIF. I think this week has gone far enough. Tomorrow maybe something shall sparkle, maybe not. At least one can go to the beach.

it is time consuming clicking on tools, then today's posts, making a post, clicking on previous to get back up, then having to click on tools again to get today's posts.:thinking:

have you tried uploading a pic?:-5:yh_rotfl

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1318903 wrote: it is time consuming clicking on tools, then today's posts, making a post, clicking on previous to get back up, then having to click on tools again to get today's posts.:thinking:

have you tried uploading a pic?:-5:yh_rotfl

Why do you have to click on "previous" ? The "tools" button is at the top of every page. Its only two extra clicks for the whole process, from the last version. Hardly time consuming

Winston Churchill
Odie

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1318908 wrote: Why do you have to click on "previous" ? The "tools" button is at the top of every page. Its only two extra clicks for the whole process, from the last version. Hardly time consuming

if you click on tools, it means you have to scroll all the way to the top after doing a post.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1318911 wrote: if you click on tools, it means you have to scroll all the way to the top after doing a post.

Didnt you have to do that with the older version.

Alternatively there is a button at the bottom right of every page that takes you directly to the top without scrolling - if you fear your life is ebbing away

Winston Churchill
Odie

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1318917 wrote: Didnt you have to do that with the older version.

Alternatively there is a button at the bottom right of every page that takes you directly to the top without scrolling - if you fear your life is ebbing away

with the old version, I just clicked previous thread, that is when we still had today's post right there.

which button gets me to the top?

just found it!:yh_rotfl

now I feel silly!:-5

thank you for your help Snowfire!:guitarist
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

If you click on forum - do you have box to the right of the forum listings that is scrolling all the recent posts?

If not, see if you have a blue arrow tab over there and hit it
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Snowfire;1318917 wrote: Didnt you have to do that with the older version.

Surely on every keyboard there is also a 'home' key that takes you to the top :thinking:

Or just be like me, go to your setting and change the thread layout on your account, my threads all appear backwards, I scroll up to read recent posts which leaves me at the top every time.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Odie;1318920 wrote:

which button gets me to the top?

Right at the very bottom. Right hand side. Clicking the word "top" takes you immediately to the top of the page, faster than you can blink

Winston Churchill
Odie

Post by Odie »

Snowfire;1318923 wrote: Right at the very bottom. Right hand side. Clicking the word "top" takes you immediately to the top of the page, faster than you can blink

I changed my post, see 591.

I found it, now I feel so silly:yh_rotfl

thanks again Snowfire, that was a huge help.;)
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Betty Boop;1318922 wrote: Surely on every keyboard there is also a 'home' key that takes you to the top :thinking:

Or just be like me, go to your setting and change the thread layout on your account, my threads all appear backwards, I scroll up to read recent posts which leaves me at the top every time.

My goodness, I never knew that-it works! :wah:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

chonsigirl;1318935 wrote: My goodness, I never knew that-it works! :wah:
Me either, thats great.
Odie

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1318935 wrote: My goodness, I never knew that-it works! :wah:

it does?

mine doesn't.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Odie;1318954 wrote: it does?

mine doesn't.

Are we talking about the home key still?? If so, is yours on your number pad Odie?
Odie

Post by Odie »

Betty Boop;1318958 wrote: Are we talking about the home key still?? If so, is yours on your number pad Odie?

There is one I just noticed on the number pad, there is another one I tried in between that and the main board.

neither took me home.

Return to “General Chit Chat”